Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default "Serious Games"

A reporter is in my store right now looking to do a piece on serious games, categorized as games that are used for educational or social purposes. She cited the game "You've been ICED" (I Can End Deportation) by a company called Games For Change, which focuses on lives of immigrants.

OK folks, I have no info to offer here but told her I'd post it here to this varied group. Are you familiar with any other games of this type? Familiar enough to describe? Have you used any as actual training?

I'll need your name and if you have an abundance of knowledge on the subject, PM me so I can share contact info between you and her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So does she want educational games, or political propaganda games? Those are two different things to me.

I got Mario is Missing. That's educational. So is Number Munchers. And CAPTAIN NOVOLIN, heh heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    A reporter is in my store right now looking to do a piece on serious games, categorized as games that are used for educational or social purposes. She cited the game "You've been ICED" (I Can End Deportation) by a company called Games For Change, which focuses on lives of immigrants.

OK folks, I have no info to offer here but told her I'd post it here to this varied group. Are you familiar with any other games of this type? Familiar enough to describe? Have you used any as actual training?

I'll need your name and if you have an abundance of knowledge on the subject, PM me so I can share contact info between you and her.
    I can remember that ther was a pro-Christian ( or is it Catholic? I can never tell the difference) RTS game for the PC that came out a while back called "Left Behind", or something close to that. Basically it was about killing everything that God seemed unfit after a chosen few went to Hevaen, and Armageddon followed. It included killing, or "converting" homosexuals, interracial couples. It was horribly racist. One of the reasons I love Atheism.

Edit: BTW, my name is Nick, I would prefer to not have my last name mentioned as of now, and I would be more than interested in talking to her about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why doesnt she cite the kkk and Iran propaganda video games?

The so called serious games , seem tasteless or disgusting. Infact I dont even think they should be called serious games , because its not something a actual gamer or serious gamer would enjoy.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Why doesnt she cite the kkk and Iran propaganda video games?

The so called serious games , seem tasteless or disgusting. Infact I dont even think they should be called serious games , because its not something a actual gamer or serious gamer would enjoy.
    I agree - and the info on the ICED game she brought sounded like a pretty poor attempt to "educate" anyone. It allows the gamer to jump turnstiles, steal newspapers, etc.

Opinions nonwithstanding, she's looking for info so if you've got any, please share it here.

Apollo, I'll PM you separately, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd think the Lightspan Educational game series would be appropriate from the little I've read of them.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like she has already formed an opinion,which is negative based on her example, and is looking for facts to back it up. Shoddy journalisim at best. I'd be wary. The DP store could be painted in very negative strokes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I couldn't find anything on "You've been ICED", the only things that came up were about the US Immigration and something or other department.

I recently talked with her, and she's planning on getting back to me "within the hour" due top her being on the road. I have a few pages up for references, so I hopefully don't sound like an idiot.

Sounding like an idiot and being one are two different things. A good ruse can defy even the most obvious truth.

Edit: Is anyone taking requests for me to bring up? Seriously though, if you have something you want to be heard, I'll do my best to get it out there. Nothing stupid, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

If I understand right, it seems that “serious” games isn’t quite the moniker you'd want to use. It seems more along the lines of games that promote a specific type of social consciousness or bring awareness to an agenda or point of view.

Interestingly enough, most of these games are freely available on the web (or sponsored by donations anyway), in so far as there would be virtually no market for them otherwise. They typically tend to be fairly simple and heavily biased towards the author(s) personal opinions on the subject at hand.

Well one of the most famous examples would probably be Super Columbine Massacre RPG. A lot of people hold this game in contempt for it's subject matter but it's a very interesting project designed to question the whole moral stewpot around that tragic event.

The Marriage is more of a "games as art" project, but it has some overlap in this genre of "agenda" games. It's meant to be played with no knowledge at all and serves as a digital metaphor for marriage.

The ReDistricting Game is another interesting example which puts players in the role of gerrymandering an area to play to your political parties strengths.

And you might be able to even make a case for America's Army given it's backstory. While, for the most part, it plays like a straight up FPS, it is designed around propaganda with the sole focus of military recruitment. It's also pretty fun and actually had a retail(ish) release which makes it quite unique.

Let me know if I'm off base with these suggestions. It's an interesting "side" genre of video games that's just now getting some play in the media at large. I'm assuming your patron is collecting this data for a research paper of some type. I'd be interested in seeing the final product.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Carmen Sandiego & friends was what immediately sprang to mind when the term 'educational games' sprang to mind. I've seen a lot of educational 'games' whilst studying for my degree in, erm, education, and Carmen stands out as easily the best example production-wise of the lot. Tragic, really.

In terms of 'serious' games, might Super Columbine Massacre RPG be an example of what she was thinking of?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    If I understand right, it seems that “serious” games isn’t quite the moniker you'd want to use. It seems more along the lines of games that promote a specific type of social consciousness or bring awareness to an agenda or point of view.

Interestingly enough, most of these games are freely available on the web (or sponsored by donations anyway), in so far as there would be virtually no market for them otherwise. They typically tend to be fairly simple and heavily biased towards the author(s) personal opinions on the subject at hand.

Well one of the most famous examples would probably be Super Columbine Massacre RPG. A lot of people hold this game in contempt for it's subject matter but it's a very interesting project designed to question the whole moral stewpot around that tragic event.

The Marriage is more of a "games as art" project, but it has some overlap in this genre of "agenda" games. It's meant to be played with no knowledge at all and serves as a digital metaphor for marriage.

The ReDistricting Game is another interesting example which puts players in the role of gerrymandering an area to play to your political parties strengths.

And you might be able to even make a case for America's Army given it's backstory. While, for the most part, it plays like a straight up FPS, it is designed around propaganda with the sole focus of military recruitment. It's also pretty fun and actually had a retail(ish) release which makes it quite unique.

Let me know if I'm off base with these suggestions. It's an interesting "side" genre of video games that's just now getting some play in the media at large. I'm assuming your patron is collecting this data for a research paper of some type. I'd be interested in seeing the final product.
    Thats pretty much what I was under the impression of by "Serious Games". Games that were designed to push forward either an idea, a lifestyle, or which were intended to educate. However, in the latter case, they seem mostly to be trying to push an idea, such as a religion. Great list, though, I'll check em out real quick.

Also, i was trying to find SCMRPG for a while. Thanks for the link!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I should have mentioned this site too:

Water Cooler Games is a site dedicated to discussion and promotion of games with a message. The site also spawned a book, Persuasive Games: The Expressive Power of Videogames, that can be purchased from Amazon. I haven't read it, but it's on my to do list.

I'll also add V-Tech Rampage (I linked the Wikipedia page since the host site is apparently down). It's exactly the opposite of what most "agenda" games seek to accomplish but is worthy of holding up for discourse for that reason. A cheap, crude flash shooter, with no moral or ethical message or purpose, based on the Virginia Tech shootings; the author asked for a $2000 donation to take the game down from his website. For another $1000 he'd apologize for making it.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I just got off the phone with the reporter, heres the PM i sent to Joe, since I don't feel like typing now

Hey Joe, (Man I love that song!)

I just got off the phone with the reporter, and I hope I didn't sound like too much of a tool. Nah, just kidding. She seemed completely unaware of the gaming world, so she didn't come in with a bias towards anything. I felt a bit nervous, and I probably even repeated some things more than I should have. Oh well. She was saying that this might be published Thursday, so keep an eye out!

I also told her about Super Columbine Massacre RPG, and why people should view it beyond what they see it as.

Maybe that graphic shoudn't go there....

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Sounds like she has already formed an opinion,which is negative based on her example, and is looking for facts to back it up. Shoddy journalisim at best. I'd be wary. The DP store could be painted in very negative strokes.
    She wasn't biased - sorry if I gave that impression. It was ME commenting on the info about that ICED game, not her. So yeah, we might be painted in negative strokes but quite frankly I think it sucks that the game (at least by its description) wasn't offering any useful "educational" scenarios.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Why would we be "painted in negative strokes"?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Why would we be "painted in negative strokes"?

The way I read the post was that she was looking for games that pushed an agenda, under the guise of "serious" games. she comes up with a bunch of "serious" games like the JFK assasination game, the columbine game, and other such games like that. then you take a quote out of context as: "We have lots of serious games here at the DP store" Says Joe,owner of the DP store. And bLAM! Easy as that, The store supports crazy people making "serious" games.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

The way I read the post was that she was looking for games that pushed an agenda, under the guise of "serious" games. she comes up with a bunch of "serious" games like the JFK assasination game, the columbine game, and other such games like that. then you take a quote out of context as: "We have lots of serious games here at the DP store" Says Joe,owner of the DP store. And bLAM! Easy as that, The store supports crazy people making "serious" games.
    Don't sweat it. Our store has a very good relationship with the Herald News. This is the fourth time we've been called upon for info and/or quotes. They're very professional and have been right on the money with their quotes so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

If thats what your worried about, then you shouldn't be worried at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    It was horribly racist. One of the reasons I love Atheism.
    Really not trying to start somethin, but that statement reeks of hypocrisy and it offends me. Being a Christian does not make someone a racist. Do what you gotta do for yourself, but don't pigeonhole me or anyone else whose beliefs are different from your own. Thanks...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Would the old military trainer version of Battlezone count?

I'd wonder if the decidedly "question authority" message of beyond good and evil would count.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives