Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    Really not trying to start somethin, but that statement reeks of hypocrisy and it offends me. Being a Christian does not make someone a racist. Do what you gotta do for yourself, but don't pigeonhole me or anyone else whose beliefs are different from your own. Thanks...
    Woah woah woah, your reading into that wrong. I'm talking about a game that pushed it's beliefs to the point of the objective was to kill or convert anyone who didn't follow the same beliefs as you. If anything, they were being ignorant, when one of the Ten Commandments is to "Love Thy Neighbor". But thats neither here nor there. I never implied that because someone is of any religion gives them any certain qualities, be they good or bad. I respect peoples rights to practice any religion they choose, but I find it to be too restricting for me, which is why I said that I was glad that I am an Atheist. I never meant to offend anyone, but if you were, I apologize.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There was a special on CNBC a few months ago called "Game On!" (of all things). It was the standard history of videogames type of thing w/ the usual suspects. Anyway, toward the end they show this kid with cancer who designed a game about fighting cancer. Maybe someone remembers the name of that one? If not I have it recorded so I can check later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    There was a special on CNBC a few months ago called "Game On!" (of all things). It was the standard history of videogames type of thing w/ the usual suspects. Anyway, toward the end they show this kid with cancer who designed a game about fighting cancer. Maybe someone remembers the name of that one? If not I have it recorded so I can check later.
    Please do! The person i talked to gave me her number, so I'll call her up if you can get the name to me and I'll tell her about it. Sounds awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Woah woah woah, your reading into that wrong. I'm talking about a game that pushed it's beliefs to the point of the objective was to kill or convert anyone who didn't follow the same beliefs as you. If anything, they were being ignorant, when one of the Ten Commandments is to "Love Thy Neighbor". But thats neither here nor there. I never implied that because someone is of any religion gives them any certain qualities, be they good or bad. I respect peoples rights to practice any religion they choose, but I find it to be too restricting for me, which is why I said that I was glad that I am an Atheist. I never meant to offend anyone, but if you were, I apologize.
    Appreciate it. If I overreacted to your post, then my bad.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    And you might be able to even make a case for America's Army given it's backstory. While, for the most part, it plays like a straight up FPS, it is designed around propaganda with the sole focus of military recruitment. It's also pretty fun and actually had a retail(ish) release which makes it quite unique.
    There's a lesser known game along these same lines that was produced by the Marine Corps called Camp Marine. Interestingly, it's more of a knock-off of Myst than anything else (one wouldn't imagine that the Marines would go for a puzzle-solving game as a recruiting tool). You walk around this little virtual Marine base, entering buildings and solving puzzles. If you don't solve certain problems fast enough, little Drill Instructors appear and start yelling clues at you. Pretty funny stuff.

Oof. Gotta go on a tangent here, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo
    I can remember that ther was a pro-Christian ( or is it Catholic? I can never tell the difference) RTS game for the PC that came out a while back called "Left Behind", or something close to that. Basically it was about killing everything that God seemed unfit after a chosen few went to Hevaen, and Armageddon followed. It included killing, or "converting" homosexuals, interracial couples. It was horribly racist. One of the reasons I love Atheism.
    1. First, what it is about atheism that you believe makes one less susceptible to racism than religion? (EDIT - looks like you may have already answered this, albeit weakly)

2. I've never played this game, but I'm familiar with the book series on which it is based and I would like to see some proof from you that this game actually encouraged Christians to kill homosexuals and interracial couples. Neither of these things happened in the book series and I'd be very surprised to see such behavior encouraged in a game based on the same intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I'm talking about a game that pushed it's beliefs to the point of the objective was to kill or convert anyone who didn't follow the same beliefs as you. If anything, they were being ignorant, when one of the Ten Commandments is to "Love Thy Neighbor". But thats neither here nor there.
    It's neither there, actually, because "Love Thy Neighbor" is not one of the Ten Commandments. It's a command first given by God in Leviticus 19:18 and then doesn't appear again until the New Testament where Jesus repeats it a number of times. It is not, as you state here, part of the Decalogue listed in Exodus 20. So what exactly just happened here? Were you lying, or did you simply not know what you were talking about?

I've got to say this, but between these wild (and most likely unprovable) assertions about the Left Behind game and this sloppy mistake in quoting what the Bible says and where I find it very disturbing that you've just taken it on yourself to speak openly to a member of the press (thereby implicitly representing the hobby) about videogames of a controversial nature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    I've got to say this, but between these wild (and most likely unprovable) assertions about the Left Behind game and this sloppy mistake in quoting what the Bible says and where I find it very disturbing that you've just taken it on yourself to speak openly to a member of the press (thereby implicitly representing the hobby) about videogames of a controversial nature.
    I'm only passingly familiar with the books and read a bit about the game -- but from what i've read about the game in both the gaming and popular press it's really quite ineffective at being any sort of positive educational tool. I know both CNN and the BBC were decrying the game. I only mention this to say that any gamer condemnation of the game from someone on this site is nothing that hasn't already been reported on at length in other, large outlets.

To the original question -- I do think that the most effective games-as-educational-tools are ones that don't present themselves in such a hamfisted manner. For example the Final Fantasy series always has a strong environmental message -- it's not what the game is about (like if it were a Captain Planet game), so the message is more subtle. I can't say that i've ever played any strictly educational games other than extremely primitive games that were out when I was a child, but I wouldn't expect that any educational games with a scope beyond, say, teaching arithmetic or spelling, would have as much impact as a game that weaves its message into the context of a larger narrative.
    Last edited by smork; 07-18-2007 at 01:44 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    2. I've never played this game, but I'm familiar with the book series on which it is based and I would like to see some proof from you that this game actually encouraged Christians to kill homosexuals and interracial couples. Neither of these things happened in the book series and I'd be very surprised to see such behavior encouraged in a game based on the same intellectual property.

Wild? How, as an informed person, did you miss all the news stories? Here are several, from the first page of Google results I got when I researched it. For the record, I'm familiar with the books as well (my Dad's a big fan) and he picked up the game not too long after it came out. He hated it. Said it didn't follow the material at all.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061214-8418.html - Ars Technica
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6669946 - NPR
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG8TMU1KQ1.DTL - San Francisco Chronicle
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...hristian_game/ - Boston Globe
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...2-060518-4683r - UPI
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...tm?POE=TECISVA - USA Today
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.a...20061219c.html
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hatevgame.htm

I will say there is nothing in the articles specifically about killing homosexuals or members of interracial couples. There is one whole hell of a lot about the wholesale slaughter of Muslims, however.

And as far as him mixing up the verse and chapter of a specific quote from a religious document in which he holds little interest, I have to say you may be overreacting just a tad. This was a message board post, not an exhaustively researched fifty-page thesis. So he didn't know where in the bible "love thy neighbor" was written, when he quoted it off the cuff. Big deal. He's not Christian - why would he? Hell, most Christians I know wouldn't be able to pull the verse and line of that quote right off the top of their heads. Chill.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry you asked yet Joe? ;-)

The name of the cancer-fighting game is "Ben's Game" (designed by Ben Duskin). You can download it at http://www.makewish.org/site/pp.asp?c=cvLRKaO4E&b=64401

Game On also shows a training "game" for registered nurses called "Care Connections". It looks more like a sim to me so I'm not sure why it's included in the program.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

If anyone cared to go through Water Cooler Games websites or take a look at Persuasive Games they can find a whole boatload of "serious" games to cite.

One of the more interesting ones is by Unicef; it's in Swahili (the only game on the web IN Swahili!) designed to increase knowledge about HIV and AIDS in Africia. It can be found here.

Another really rad game to bring up would be Guru Meditation by Ian Bogost. It's a homebrew being designed on the VCS to use the Joyboard and allow the user to open their inner Chakra via sitting perfectly still and meditating.

And the writer definately needs to hit the Wiki page for these sorts of games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game) to use as a launch pad. Lots of additional examples are to be found there. Another good place is to hit Kotaku and search for the tag "serious games". Quite a few nice side stories there.

I'm hoping you're following up with this Apollo. There are dozens, and dozens of places you can get info about these sorts of games. Hopefully the writer is being exposed to some of the major sources to keep the forthcoming article grounded in reality as much as possible
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    If anyone cared to go through Water Cooler Games websites or take a look at Persuasive Games they can find a whole boatload of "serious" games to cite.

One of the more interesting ones is by Unicef; it's in Swahili (the only game on the web IN Swahili!) designed to increase knowledge about HIV and AIDS in Africia. It can be found here.

Another really rad game to bring up would be Guru Meditation by Ian Bogost. It's a homebrew being designed on the VCS to use the Joyboard and allow the user to open their inner Chakra via sitting perfectly still and meditating.

And the writer definately needs to hit the Wiki page for these sorts of games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game) to use as a launch pad. Lots of additional examples are to be found there. Another good place is to hit Kotaku and search for the tag "serious games". Quite a few nice side stories there.

I'm hoping you're following up with this Apollo. There are dozens, and dozens of places you can get info about these sorts of games. Hopefully the writer is being exposed to some of the major sources to keep the forthcoming article grounded in reality as much as possible
    Here's the response I've been waiting for. Thank you so much, I'll forward this along to the reporter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    Wild? How, as an informed person, did you miss all the news stories? Here are several...
    You haven't shown me anything here I didn't already know. People didn't like the game. Some liberal-activist and progressive groups who already have an axe to grind against evangelicals tried to put it in the same category with GTA. I remember all of this. But...

I will say there is nothing in the articles specifically about killing homosexuals or members of interracial couples. - {Emphasis added - Pan}
    ...and that's my whole gripe here. Apollo raised a very specific accusation against this game (and implicitly against the belief system behind it) which I do not believe he can prove. If one was in fact encouraged to kill homosexuals or interracial couples by this game then don't you think at least one of those articles you cited would have mentioned it?

Let's try a couple different perspectives here other than NPR or the San Francisco press:

- The game's official faq addresses a good number of the concerns your articles raised and in a less caustic fashion, but...eh...you know how those Christians always lie about everything, so let's take a look at some reviews from GameFAQs. Check the negative reviews first. Nobody mentions killing homosexuals or interracial couples as an aspect of the game.

And as far as him mixing up the verse and chapter of a specific quote from a religious document in which he holds little interest, I have to say you may be overreacting just a tad....So he didn't know where in the bible "love thy neighbor" was written, when he quoted it off the cuff. Big deal. He's not Christian - why would he?
    For someone who presumably doesn't care about a particular religion our friend Apollo stressed a rather strong, controversial and unsubstantiated opinion; that we (yes...I'm one of "them"...boo) have made a game which encourages the killing of people who don't hold to our beliefs. And the reason I'm making a big deal out of the verse misquote is to draw attention to the fact that since Apollo doesn't know the Bible very well, then maybe he should think a little harder or do some research before speaking aloud as to what it teaches, or how these teachings are reflected in various aspects of popular culture such as videogames.

I don't want to get this thread locked so I'll bow out now. Take it to PM if you've got anything else to add.

@Apollo: Whenever you're ready, go ahead and post that proof here that the Left Behind game encourages killing homosexuals and interracial couples.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 07-18-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Pantechnicon, calm the fuck down. Seriously. I mention one fucking thing about religion, and you go on a whole "holier-than-thou" crusade. From everything I had seen and played of the Left behind game, one of the features was to either kill or convert homosexuals or any other person that wasn't considered holy in the eyes of God. Excuse me for not being so damn religious as you.

The reason that I pushed the religious overtones of the game is because it's directly promoting ideas that I am very strongly against as both a human being and a gamer. It essentially shoves the idea of religion down a persons throat, and masks it as a game.

Before you go saying about how a game isn't like this, do some goddamn research about it.

This has escalated into a religious debate, and this entire damn thread should be trashed. It's caused more problem than it's been worth.

Pantechnicon, back the fuck off.

Edit: Oh and by the way, i pulled this directly from the Wiki, right under the section entitled "Dominionist Overtones". Seems fitting.

"Certain critics of the Religious Right, like the Campaign to Defend the Constitution and the Christian Alliance for Progress, say that Left Behind: Eternal Forces advocates Dominionism and indoctrinates children into the ideology of religious warfare, letting them play out "a major battle for the streets of New York City" in which the forces of good seek to convert to fundamentalist Christianity or else kill all the city's inhabitants..."
    Last edited by Apollo; 07-18-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before this gets locked, I have to say something. Pan wasn't attacking you Apollo. The way I see it, you presented your viewpoint and he presented his. Why are Christians the only group that can be publicly attacked and it's okay? I'm WAY tired of all these double standards. You tell the man to calm down, all the while dropping F-bombs and using God's name in vain. I have nothing against you, I just don't understand why you're so upset over what should be rational discourse on a message board. I'm don't wish to turn this into a religious war, so with that said I'm done. God bless you all.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

That's all the info we're gonna need.

Thanks for staying on topic and not turning this into a religious debate.