Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When people see your collection, what do they notice first/the most?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default When people see your collection, what do they notice first/the most?

When people see you collection, what do they notice the most?

When people see my gaming collection, they mostly notice either the 2600 or the NES before anything else. On top of that, I get asked about Contra, Excitebike and Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!!! the most. For some reason these games come up again and again. Contra takes the top spot, almost any time someone finds out about my collecting I get the “Hey, you collect games? Do you have Contra? You do? Man, I used to play that game for hours!!!”

Funny enough, I've actually been asked about my Neo Geo a few times...

What do people first notice when they see your collection for the first time and if they ask about a game, which one gets the most attention?
    Last edited by smokehouse; 07-18-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

They almost never ask about a game or system, instead it's about the big Legend of Zelda wristwatch wall clock or the restored vintage pachinko machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Hmm, I think most people notice the Dreamcast, for some odd reason. But the game that gets asked about the most is, like yours, Contra. I'm not sure why, either.

I just wish I could have my MVS in the same room. Then, people would ask me about Street Fighter 2, even though that's a JAMMA game (but that's to be expected...most people know very little about arcade machines).
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my friends comment on the systems they've seen / owned first, and then move over to the 2600 and go, "holy crap, fake wood paneling" or, "I can't believe that thing still works"

edit: I get asked "Do you have Duck Hunt?" a lot, and when I say yes, "Do you have the gun?"

How could you have Duck Hunt without the gun? OF COURSE I have the gun.
    Last edited by mr.soul; 07-19-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The first thing they see when walking into the Room of Doom is the MAME cab, which is right next to the door. But the thing that drops their jaws and keeps their eyes riveted, what says: "This is a serious collection" are the shelves on the opposite wall with literally hundreds of pre-NES carts stacked in neat symmetrical columns. And yes, I enjoy watching those jaws drop .

(Honestly, I don't consider my collection all that big, but the layout does lend to the illusion of it being a greater size)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"You got too many fucking games"

Many haven't seen my collection though. My girlfriend, who was more than a casual gamer, went O_o when she saw my Saturn collection for the 1st time several years ago.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My girlfriend.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most often games people (who don't know much about gaming/systems) see and interested right away are Pacman and Sonic games. It must be the popularity of them over the years. Others that get alot of mention are Megaman, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Mario, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede. A lot of old school arcade games. For the more unpopular/obscure Phoenix and Snake Rattle & Roll has been mentioned a few times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

"Oh my kids would love this room"

...because, you know...only kids play video games.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    "Oh my kids would love this room"

...because, you know...only kids play video games.
    Arrrrg…that pisses me off to no end.

I am so tired of the “Only kids play video games.” comments. I feel like saying “Yeah, I guess when I grow up I can spend tons of $$ on a “4-wheeler”, copious amounts of liquor, useless hunting gear and be miserable like you.”

I catch so much shit from my coworkers yet all they talking about is drinking, riding “4-wheelers” and hunting/fishing…it’s annoying as hell.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    My girlfriend.
    When people first see your collection, they most often notice your girlfriend first? Lucky man. I've had several girlfriends through the years, but none worth collecting.

Sadly for me when people see my collection it's less "Wow, awesome Saturn collection!" and more "What the fuck are you doing with your life?".... Maybe I need new friends.
    Last edited by MF_Luder; 07-18-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally people have some idea what i do for a living, but the sheer numbers tend to overwhelm people.

The first thing people notice are the two xbox kiosks i have sitting in my living room. Depending on the time of day, you can actually see those from outside the house.

The second thing people notice are the launch team xbox and xbox 360's, but that's because i have them in a display case. The 16 debug PS2 sitting on the shelf above them tend to draw a few eyes too...

I throw a party at my place at least once a month, lately all people have noticed is the Wii...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most aren't gamers so the only thing that impresses them is the PS2 games. If they even bother glancing at the older stuff I only get random comments like " What's Dragon Force? That sounds gay"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    I catch so much shit from my coworkers yet all they talking about is drinking, riding “4-wheelers” and hunting/fishing…it’s annoying as hell.
    Hey! I do those things too, just not to the degree of gaming or working on computers. Drinking has it's downsides but if balanced correctly it's a great time! Well, I'm not going to get all off-topic on you but I know what you mean.

There are two kinds of responses due to living at my parents house still. Those are:
    1) If a friend of my parents comes over and sees it for the first time, their faces light up and say their kids would be in heaven up there with all the games, computers, DVDs, music and other things linguring around. Sometimes they ask about the Atari because it's what more 40-60 year olds grew up knowing.

2) When new friends, friends of friends or my brothers friends come over (this rarely happens as I don't trust many to my room) their mouths open up and begin reading all of the games on the shelves, pointing out what games they have heard of. After a few minutes all they want to do it play video games over anything else in the world. A pretty funny reaction by all means and they serve their purpose: to be played.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not much people have entered my (now it is my brother's) room. Only(aside of my family), a few of my relatives and friends. For my family is natural to see the games and Star Wars things, my relatives are way older than me so they don't care that much, my friends are the ones that get impressed everytime they see it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

When people look at my SNES games the first thing they ask about is the end label of my Donkey Kong Country Competition Cart.

"Resale/Rental of the Game Pak is Prohibited???"

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well mostly all they ever see of my collection is big stacks of boxes and racks of CD's with no labels on them... so the most frequent question is how do I ever find a game I want to play, and how do I ever choose from so many...

but if they could actually see all my games at one time, they would notice all my Genesis games the most... I have alot more of those than anything else...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First thing that everyone notices is my Doctor Who pinball machine and then that monstrosity combo of the genesis, cd and 32x system… it calls to them and then they want to play some sonic
    red wine raging

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It used to be my mounted collection of NES promo posters. You know, the crappy ones that would come with games like Tiger-Heli and such? Now I have an enormous David Wright MLB 07 promo poster that really ties the room together.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

This sounds stupid but I am sure at least one other person can identify with this.

Let's talk about people who have only become familiar with Nintendo handhelds in the past few years, starting with the Gameboy Advance & DS lines. They are usually adults who are casual gamers at best or younger kids. I know plenty of people that fall into both categories. You should see some of their reactions when they notice my brick Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket or even the Gameboy Color. I have a five year old nephew who regularly asks about my original brick Gameboy.