Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When people see your collection, what do they notice first/the most?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no one has seen my collection in over 7 years, except for people online

edit

but those people seem to notice the 3DO wheel
    Last edited by Lemmi_Is_God; 07-18-2007 at 08:51 PM.
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    When people first see your collection, they most often notice your girlfriend first? Sound like a very unique collection you have there.
    I think he means that when they see his collection they take notice that he *HAS* a girlfriend.

I've never really shown anyone my collection. That might change when I finally move into a place where I can have a room devoted to games/movies/computer.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first tell somebody about my collection, I try to tell them that I have a lot of old Nintendo games. Like a freakish amount. The first response I get is usually "OHHH!!! Do you have that Duck Hunt game!" Honestly, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that... I'd have a lot of nickels.

As for showing people my collection; I literally have room dedicated to my games. You'd think that so many people walking into my game-room would notice so many different things, but the most common thing that is noticed is this little Mario toy that is on a spring. I can't understand it! The conversation usually goes like this:

"If you look over here, you can see every original Nintendo game ever made"
    "Ooooo... Whats this Mario toy!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Video game fellows usually take notice to the amount of games I have. It is usually go like:
    "Damn..... you got ALOT of games!"
    "Thats pretty...cool!"

I usually reply with:
    "So what do you want to play?"
    then proceed to pop it in.

Non game people take notice to all the consoles (15 hooked up to my television)
    Since November 2006:
    Guest: "WOW! Thats cool....you got a PS3! What games you got? How are the graphics?!?"
    Me: "Well I dont have much There really isn't much out for it right now."
    Guest: "You got that war game?"
    Me: "No. Sorry "

OR

Guest: "You still play Nintendo?!?!? "
    Me: "Yeah, I really find maximum enjoyment in it. I find great gameplay on old games"
    Guest: "Thats cool"

Video games is my hobby and my escape from an otherwise crappy life.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Arrrrg…that pisses me off to no end.

I am so tired of the “Only kids play video games.” comments. I feel like saying “Yeah, I guess when I grow up I can spend tons of $$ on a “4-wheeler”, copious amounts of liquor, useless hunting gear and be miserable like you.”

I catch so much shit from my coworkers yet all they talking about is drinking, riding “4-wheelers” and hunting/fishing…it’s annoying as hell.
    Yea I hear that crap too. Video games are for everyone, and I make sure I let everyone know about it. Everyone usually notices the NES, or the Mortal Kombat posters I have on my wall.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default "When people see your collection, what do they notice first/the most? "

Well,when the crew of window replacent guys came in all they noticed was my Neo Geo MVS Big"red" Arcade machines..maybe it's the red that stuck out but that's all they talked-asked about over and over.

They walked right past everything else,even climbing over my pocketbikes to wash their hands..Oner guy was a motorcyclist and didn't say nothing about my bikes even after putting his drill on one..
    It was all about those two cabs..

Even my landlords mainly bitched about those cabs..

Other peope who have been here before and or know me,they notice my game wall first-Walk in,look left Holy CRAP!!..They look at nothing particular on it,just how it towers up ..they've seen it dozens of times yet always do the same thing..

Then I've had people who came in to fix something and notice nothing..Totally dead..

I've yet to have someone come over and look at-into something specific..I've always wanted that to happen,reason why I kept certain collection items in certain places-out in the open.
    Most my friends only care as to where they are drinking-getting drunk next..I don't do that shit here so they don't come around anymore.

Right now with selling everything,the game wall is coming down and collections are going....I still have that desire to had shown someone-had someone notice something in my collection and ask about it..

I get blown away at just how many people I meet who aren't into Game Collectiing,retro game playing or just general game playing..Forget about telling them about my pockertbike racing,that convo goes right into space..
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 07-18-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The current setup I have, I have had a couple of people ask, "where did your walls go"". By far, I have had the most questions about my vectrex, as many people ask "so is it an old TV or somethin?"
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering most of my friends are around 16, most of them* seem to only care about the newer stuff. They like the fact that I have a lot of Xbox, Ps2, and Gamecube games, but they couldn't care less if I had over 100 Nes games. In fact, I suggested to my friends that I should invite them over and play some old-school multiplayer Nes games like Gauntlet (II) or even Bubble Bobble and they gave me a "Do you really think I'm interested?" look. Though, I did get my friend's younger brother to play Zombies Ate My Neighbors with me, he enjoyed it too. Slowly but surely I'm convincing my friends that old games are just as good as the new games.

*one of my friends is TMNT crazy and he loves the old (nintendo) games.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think you can see any of it, so...eh, there's some busted-up looking NESes and stuff lying around, nothing too valuable easily available.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

At the height of my videogame collecting, I would get a lot of questions about my X'Eye. A lot of my friends thought it was a pirate system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only my cousin (and of course my family since I live with them) has seen it.

I was in an indie game shop I frequent, talking to this other guy about some games, he just moved back from Puerto Rico and had to sell most of his games, trying to get them all back now. He had about 500 games (me at 550). The shop owner is like "what is wrong with you guys," figured he'd like us since we'll keep buying more games haha

my sister comes over and just wants to play super nintendo, since basically grew up with it

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i dont really have anyone new come over, i usually am the one going out. When i get my own place I would think my SF2 championship edition cab or my mt dew xbox would instantly draw in the eye. What i would really hope for is my wonderswan collection, specifically my wonderborg to catch a newcomers eye.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on which room they see first. If it's my arcade room, it's normally the Ms Pac or Star Wars Cockpit, depending on whether it's a guy or girl. In my console room, there's not really any one thing that people seem to notice. Most people my age (33) are fascinated with my 2600 collection, but I also get a fair number of comments about my NES stuff. A surprising number of people comment about the breadbox C64 that's set up in there, while the poor Toaster 4000 sitting behind it is completely ignored. <shrug>
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    What do people first notice when they see your collection for the first time and if they ask about a game, which one gets the most attention?
    Usually ppl freak when they see my NEO:GEO 2-Slot sitting in the gameroom downstairs, which is supposed to be a dining room. Then they see the Rastan Saga cab and IKARI III: The Rescue and the workings of my MX-5000 kit (still being built to full cab) and if that person is between the ages of 25 - 42 they're like: "Dude you've got a freggin' arcade in your house! HOLY SHIT I REMEMBER THE Neo-Geo. Dude what games' you got?"

If it's anyone under the age of 25, no one really cares. Now if we're talking about home consoles. I get the odd glance of bewilderment upon seeing my Atari 2600 or 7800 ProSystem... a curt nod towards my 8-Bit FAMICOM AV and a raised eyebrow when seeing a modded Playstation [1st model], Sega SATURN and Mega Drive hooked up to an aging MadCatz 4 system AV switcher box. Like before, if the ppl are under the age of 25 (usually), they just look at me like I'm nuts, for all othes it's... "FUCK... You still have a Genesis! Dude do you have Gunstar Heroes?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

alot of people used to comment on my mk2 arcade machine . but i sold it . now everyone says i got the 40 year old virgins room , their just jealous i guess .

Insert Coin (Level 0) ninjabearhug's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend came round just before i packed all my stuff up ready to move. He's been a casual gamer since the MD and i've known him since i was a kid so he doesn't really notice my collection anymore. On this occasion though he brought his 8 year old kid round with him and then told him that i had loads of games in the back room and to go have a look. This was the first time a child had been into my games room and all i heard was " Awesome" and "Whats this ", "can i play this", "whats this do"etc,etc. I hadn't noticed until this point just how protective i was of my collection, the whole time the kid was in that room all i could think of was his sticky fingers attempting to pull my collection to pieces, i was a nervous wreck by the time he'd got bored of asking questions and had settled for watching a DVD instead of trying to mutilate my games.

Anyway most people just ask me "what's its worth".

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

That I/we have ALOT of stuff. This is mentioned with just the Apartment stuff being seen. My PS/PS2/GC/XB games and cases arn't even in our apartment, and none of my classic systems from when I was young are here either.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the first thing that almost always gets noticed when someone walks into my room is this nintendo 64 official store display sign:

Usualy too because I light it up which makes it really stand out. I am so happy I got it off ebay like 4 years ago for like $40 shipped....such a steal. Light came broken in shipping but it was an easy repair.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room