Thread: nes doesn't work with new pin HELP!!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default nes doesn't work with new pin HELP!!!!!!

Over the past year I have repaired probably 25 blinking nes toaster variety consoles by replacing the 72 pin connector. For the most part these repairs are simple. However, I have several units that still do not work despite replacing the pin. I know the pin works because I later use the connector on a different console and it works fine. The units that don't work with the new pin either have a white screen or a green sreen when they are turned on with a game connected. Do any members of the restoration society have any tips on what could be the problem and how it can be easily fixed (if at all). Thanks for your help in advance. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd try cleaning the contacts where the connector goes. If that didn't work, I'd trash the guts of the deck, and keep only the top and bottom shell if they were in nice shape. I find the blinking decks so common, that any labour above pin replacement is likely not worth the effort. There ia always another deck that can be used. The good shape shell would be handy when you get a fixable deck that has a crack in it, or has been branded by a video store.

I've got a stack of UGLY fixable decks.

I'd go above and beyond to save a CV or an Atari 2600/5200/7800, or an Inty, but there are too many NES's floating around to go nuts on a sole buggy deck. IMO anyway.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I'd try cleaning the contacts where the connector goes. If that didn't work, I'd trash the guts of the deck, and keep only the top and bottom shell if they were in nice shape. I find the blinking decks so common, that any labour above pin replacement is likely not worth the effort. There ia always another deck that can be used. The good shape shell would be handy when you get a fixable deck that has a crack in it, or has been branded by a video store.

I've got a stack of UGLY fixable decks.

I'd go above and beyond to save a CV or an Atari 2600/5200/7800, or an Inty, but there are too many NES's floating around to go nuts on a sole buggy deck. IMO anyway.
    I agree completely. It sounds like something internal went to hell on the nes. Take all the parts off of it (top and bottom, power and reset buttons, controller ports etc.) and just save them for later. The motherboard is probably the problem

Danny