View Poll Results: How many games must someone buy to be deemed "hardcore"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than 1 per day

5 5.21%
  • 100 or more per year

15 15.63%
  • 50 or more per year

22 22.92%
  • 25 or more per year

18 18.75%
  • More than 12 per year

7 7.29%
  • More than 6 per year

1 1.04%
  • None.

28 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What IS a "hardcore" gamer?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What IS a "hardcore" gamer?

According to a recent news article, it's someone who buys more than 6 games a year. I think number of games bought is a pretty unrealistic means of measurement, but lets go with that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I think it has nothing to do with buying games and everything to do with playing them.

Hardcore? Getting 2 hours of sleep because you were up all night playing your favorite game. Knowing the ins and outs of your fave game like you wrote it. You need your medical insurance to cover Sega Thumb. That's hardcore.

Anyone with money can go out and buy a bunch of games, but hardcore is a state of mind.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Anyone with money can go out and buy a bunch of games, but hardcore is a state of mind.
    Yeah--singleminded purity of purpose is the hallmark of the hardcore gamer.

But if I ONLY own Yar's Revenge, and play the hell out of it for years running, I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer, or only a hardcore Yar. Hardcore gamers usually want more games. The thing is, if you're hardcore, one game every month or two might be enough to keep you occupied. Doom II kept me fully occupied for several months. And this was when I was pulling easy hours at the coffeehouse...

Now to qualify as a hardcore loser, er, collector, I'd have to go with 25+ games per year as a LOW figure.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me it is knowing EVERYTHING about a game without needing help or a guide even, playing 5 or 6 hours a day (like I do with everquest, though I am not hardcore, i just play ALOT!!), and sacrificing human needs, to play games.
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the whole stay up all night with no sleep to beat some of the harder levels of Frequency for the PS2. Everyone says to never play in the morning with no sleep but I did it and has more success.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is more of a issue of hours spent playing. I have a friend that has almost every xbox game and never play more then 3 hours a week. Then there is my friend who has only 2 doxen and plays atleast 5 hours a day.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone who plays their PS2 with a boner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Hardcore gaming starts in the mind...

Hardcore gaming starts in the mind. You eat, sleep, and play video games. You might go to a friends house and play for 8 straight hours. You might tear out game pictures and decorate your living quarters only with game pictures. You might not get sleep until you accomplish the ultimate "high score". It has nothing to do with buying, it has everything to do with living!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Hardcore gaming starts in the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Hardcore gaming starts in the mind. You eat, sleep, and play video games. You might go to a friends house and play for 8 straight hours. You might tear out game pictures and decorate your living quarters only with game pictures. You might not get sleep until you accomplish the ultimate "high score". It has nothing to do with buying, it has everything to do with living!
    Yes, i think the same...and...i was usually a hardcore gamer, but now i donīt have free time...

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I have to agree, the state of mind is what makes a hardcore gamer. Someone who thinks little of anything except saving the princess, or carrying a beef against Ganon (because he kidnapped your bitch), or getting the high score. Wow, I guess I AM hardcore... never thought about it before, really...

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Someone who plays their PS2 with a boner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Hardcore gaming starts in the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Arqueologia_Digital
    Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Yes, i think the same...and...i was usually a hardcore gamer, but now i donīt have free time...
    Those two quotes basically sum up how I feel.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say, none.... for multipal reasons.... 2 to be exact.

1. If your are a hardcore gamer, you'd probably play games 24/7...
    So there's no point in working then.... you simply don't have time for such nonsense... so ... you wouldn't make much money and hench would be unable to purchase any games, so you'd have to D/l 'em.

2. (much more reasonable) I don't think you can't define a hardcore gamer by the shear quantity of owned games, it's more like a mindset...
    the way someone plays games, skill level, knowledge and stuff,
    More than that.... if you'd consider your self a hardcore gamer!

It's like saying your a punkrocker, there aren't really any qualifications to it... just be it... same with HC gamer.. it's a stupid name you can call yourself when you wanna be part of something..

So my conclusion is: WHAt KinndA POLL is this man!
    Better a full bottle in front of me,
    than a full frontal lobotomy...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no way to measure up how much hardcore gamer am I by the number of games owned per period.

When I was a kid, there was no way to BUY a game, but... there was exactly the time I were a pure hardcore gamer.

Time to get sick after playing a straight 18h, for example.

Today I just can't do that anymore, because I have a job, a bride - that hates gaming , ... Murphy's Law on gaming... -, and little or no time for the art of playing games. Must get a GBA to kill the pain in the bus...

I would think of an inverse relation.

As more games you buy for period the hardcore-o-meter goes down and down!!! That's an ominous signal!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to add on to the "Hardcore gaming starts in the mind" post. This is pretty much what I would have said, but...no wait, that's exactly what I would have said. Well, this was a waste of a post. Good choice of words swlovinist!
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here's what i think. it's a small list. it's an uncomplete list. but it's what i would use to determine what makes a hard core gamer. it's the the number of times you've committed these acts that make you hard core. it's the fact that you have done these acts that makes you hard core. the more, the better.

1. willing to blow a nice amount of cash ($100+) to buy a controller for just ONE game (have a set of ddr pads, the official sambe de amigo controlers, dc keyboard, driving wheel)

2. when put in front of you, you would rather read a video gaming magazine rather than, let's say, playboy, maxim, cosmo, ym, mad, penthouse, etc.

3. you go to garage/yard/estate sales to look for those rare games, consoles and accessories.

4. you search ebay/newspapers classifieds/word of mouth/etc., to see if anyone is getting rid of collections so you can have backups of you machines, games, and accessories.

5. you can openly debate the pros and cons of a multitude of systems with strangers standing in front of the video game case at target/walmart/kmart/best buy/etc.

6. you nearly get into a fist fight because of a open debate of a multitude of systems with the same strangers.

7. between sex and beating the last boss, 3 out of 5 times you choose beating the last boss.

8. fifty dollars isn't enough money to be spending at an arcade.

9. you have your own room just for video games (bonus points if everything in the room is a higher quality than anything else in the room. exsample: the living room has a 24 inch tv, the video game room has a 35 inch flat screen hdtv.)

10. multiple email list/newsletters/forums/magazine subscribtions.

11. you played for 2 or more days straight without sleep/food/water/restroom

12. can quote lines of text from final fantasy series

13. know what the "konami code" means

14. you have that one game that you love to play, but wouldn't be caught dead playing it in front of people. (cough cough space channel 5 cough)

15. if you ever mixed school or work assignments with videogames just so you have an excuse to play video games "on the clock"

16. you cried at the end of disk one of final fantasy VII (or any video game for that matter)

17 your dream girl/guy is someone who loves video games as much as you.

18. half of your music collection is comprised of video game music and soundtracks

19. ever dreamed about video games in your sleep

20. and finally, you enter video game contest, not to win, but to learn from your mistakes, see who to beat, and to prepare for the next one (and any prizes won would be exchanged for cash or credit towards the purchase of other video game paraphanila).

bonus points:

1. if you collect video game toys

2. if you ever built your own controller/arcade unit/custom system

3. if you ever called in sick to work/school/responsiblities just to stand in line to ensure you get that video game the day it's released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People aren't born hardcore, but once they are that's how they live. I feel that in your heart and your mind you just know that you're hardcore. I don't play as much as i used to (gotta pay the bills) but I own more games now then I ever did. I don't feel any less of a gamer b/c I can't play as much. On the fliipside I don't feel any more of a gamer b/c I own a ton of hardware and software. Being hardcore is something very personal. Nobody can truly tell you if you are or you aren't, like I said you just know.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by lostsage
    here's what i think. it's a small list. it's an uncomplete list. but it's what i would use to determine what makes a hard core gamer. it's the the number of times you've committed these acts that make you hard core. it's the fact that you have done these acts that makes you hard core. the more, the better.

1. willing to blow a nice amount of cash ($100+) to buy a controller for just ONE game (have a set of ddr pads, the official sambe de amigo controlers, dc keyboard, driving wheel)

2. when put in front of you, you would rather read a video gaming magazine rather than, let's say, playboy, maxim, cosmo, ym, mad, penthouse, etc.

3. you go to garage/yard/estate sales to look for those rare games, consoles and accessories.

4. you search ebay/newspapers classifieds/word of mouth/etc., to see if anyone is getting rid of collections so you can have backups of you machines, games, and accessories.

5. you can openly debate the pros and cons of a multitude of systems with strangers standing in front of the video game case at target/walmart/kmart/best buy/etc.

6. you nearly get into a fist fight because of a open debate of a multitude of systems with the same strangers.

7. between sex and beating the last boss, 3 out of 5 times you choose beating the last boss.

8. fifty dollars isn't enough money to be spending at an arcade.

9. you have your own room just for video games (bonus points if everything in the room is a higher quality than anything else in the room. exsample: the living room has a 24 inch tv, the video game room has a 35 inch flat screen hdtv.)

10. multiple email list/newsletters/forums/magazine subscribtions.

11. you played for 2 or more days straight without sleep/food/water/restroom

12. can quote lines of text from final fantasy series

13. know what the "konami code" means

14. you have that one game that you love to play, but wouldn't be caught dead playing it in front of people. (cough cough space channel 5 cough)

15. if you ever mixed school or work assignments with videogames just so you have an excuse to play video games "on the clock"

16. you cried at the end of disk one of final fantasy VII (or any video game for that matter)

17 your dream girl/guy is someone who loves video games as much as you.

18. half of your music collection is comprised of video game music and soundtracks

19. ever dreamed about video games in your sleep

20. and finally, you enter video game contest, not to win, but to learn from your mistakes, see who to beat, and to prepare for the next one (and any prizes won would be exchanged for cash or credit towards the purchase of other video game paraphanila).

bonus points:

1. if you collect video game toys

2. if you ever built your own controller/arcade unit/custom system

3. if you ever called in sick to work/school/responsiblities just to stand in line to ensure you get that video game the day it's released
    That's a pretty good list I'd say, but a few little notes I'd like to add if I may:

1. Makes sense, unless you're utterly broke (like... me).

2. Some of those magazines also cover games (I know for sure Playboy does, they actually did a very nice must-play spread either Nov. issue or Dec. issue).

3-6 I see no quarrels with (except the fist fight, which IS a quarrel).

7. All the person has to do then is close their eyes and make sweet sweet love to the character of their choice.

8. Again, the money issue.

9. Money problem.

10. Could be, but money again.

11-17 I also agree with (*cough*cough*FeetofFury*cough*cough*).

18. I think that's another money issue.

19 & 20 are right on, I'd say.

I think you're pretty much on the money, but a lot of the things you wrote were involving money issues, and I don't think money really has that big of a hold on the ranking. But that's just my opinion.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has absolutly nothing to do with buying games. I consider myself hardcore not cause i spen all my money on games but I put time into organinzing, never stop playing, and research them alot. It is based on thier knowledge for the hobby.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh i usualy spend any cash i have on games (unfortunately thats not a whole lot of cash) also to earn more games i just go buy them used there usualy in good shape and i never sold of gave or traded any of my games in even if i hated them (which is not really the case since i dont buy just anything that pops in the display set)

Hardcore gamers well i dunno i usualy play about 5 hours ever day (damn school if it wasnt for you id be playing more) i don't think it has anything to do with buying games just basically playing them and enjoying them and defenetly talking about them and ass raping your friends in them.
    Steel Wraps Your Face, Blood Soaks The Steel