Thread: Clearing 360 HD for sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

Default Clearing 360 HD for sale

I'm in the process of selling my 360, and I'd like to make sure that my gamertag is totally removed from the HD. What are the steps to doing this? Also, will removing my gamertag cause any issues with playing the stored games on the HD? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it houldn't cause any probnlems. why are yous elling your 360? ...your not getting a ps3 are!? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

No, I'm not getting a PS3. Anyone else have any info?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the hard drive is really a normal drive like it appears to be from this site below you can remove it and attach it to your computer to erase it. I don't have a 360 so I don't really know. Also, if you do this this completely erases the drive entirely. You need to find out how to add the stuff back onto it so it's actually usable again which I don't know how. Microsoft probably made the drive where you may not even be able to see the files from the PC. Probably some different partition format, encryption, or something and they may be able to figure out that something has been tampered with and screw everything up as far as getting on Xbox Live or even using the drive again. Normally, all you'd have to do is make a folder to copy your drive's contents into and move the stuff related to the OS, your game files, etc. to it. Then, when you're done erasing, reinstall the OS, and move your backed up data files back. I'll do some more research into it, though. See, if you're really afraid of someone getting your gamertag they may still be able to get it even if you follow some instructions to take it off normally. Dban makes everything unrecoverable so it's almost impossible for someone to ever be able to find your data again.

You may ruin the drive or the casing it's in and it probably voids the warranty if you do this but here are the instructions...

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/sho...spx?i=2610&p=5

After you do that get a program called Dban. THIS PROGRAM WILL COMPLETELY ERASE DRIVES, ERASE THE OPERATING SYSTEM, AND MAKE THE DRIVE USELESS UNLESS YOU INSTALL A NEW OS OR BACKUP BACK ONTO IT. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

and burn it onto a startup CD or set up a USB drive with it to start up with your computer (if your computer can use USB jump drives at startup). Go to your bios and set that up as your startup drive.

Ok, after you do this attach the 360 hard drive to your PC, disconnect your other hard drives temporarily so you don't do something by mistake like erase your operating system, start up your PC and run the program.
    Last edited by ZackyH; 07-24-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

I have no way of hooking up the hard drive to my computer. Let me restate what I need to do: I'm selling my 360, and I want to make sure that my gamertag isn't on the drive anymore. All of the games and demos and vids and whatnot can stay on the drive; I just don't want me gamertag associated with the 360 anymore. Looking at the menu on the 360, there is something called "default restore" or something like that. Will that take care of my problem? Also, with the gamertag removed, will the new user be able to play whatever games I've downloaded? Thanks!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by dubiouscubanx View Post
    I have no way of hooking up the hard drive to my computer. Let me restate what I need to do: I'm selling my 360, and I want to make sure that my gamertag isn't on the drive anymore. All of the games and demos and vids and whatnot can stay on the drive; I just don't want me gamertag associated with the 360 anymore. Looking at the menu on the 360, there is something called "default restore" or something like that. Will that take care of my problem? Also, with the gamertag removed, will the new user be able to play whatever games I've downloaded? Thanks!!!
    I also sold my first 360 last year and I just deleted everything by hand through the menus. For the gamertags, you go system blade->memory->HDD->Gamer Profiles and just click each one and delete.

Also, just to ease your mind, the 360 I sold on ebay was to a thief using a stolen credit card. I'm sure he sold it somewhere else. I watched my gamertag for 7 months and never had anyone use it. It would be difficult for anyone to recover the information once you delete it. I now have an elite and I now use that old gamertag no problems.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know anything about Xplorer360? Looks like someone has made a program to access the contents of the drive through Windows if you connect the hard drive to it using a Datel Transfer Kit.

You're supposed to be able to transfer your game saves and your gamertag using this program.

More info here:
    http://www.360-hq.com/xbox-tutorials-26.html