3 Posts

Default Kotaku writer loses 9th Xbox 360

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on Number 2 only 9 more to go! lol

On 1up.com there was another story about the "11th" 360.

Now mine makes a weird DVD noise whenever the disc is idle in the drive for a short period of time when checking who's online..which worries me to death. Kind of like a quick spin of the disc while idle. Even when it shuts down, I hear one of the heat sink fans make an odd noise. (Similar to an Dodge RAM 1500 series when you hear the motor stop after you park, which is NORMAL for a Truck, but not a damn 360...)
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No matter how poorly the system is made, I have a hard time believing that this guy has gone thru 9 Xbox's. Is he keeping it next to an oven?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    No matter how poorly the system is made, I have a hard time believing that this guy has gone thru 9 Xbox's. Is he keeping it next to an oven?
    This is my thought too, I'd love to see some pictures of his setup and the kind of condition he keeps his stuff in. I think of my 360 as a computer not a game system and so far I have yet to have any problems.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 360's fine, but a friend of mine got the red rings of death. He's still waiting for his system to get back.

I'm thinking of moving my 360 or removing the back of the entertainment center. It's not a bad setup, but it could be better. There's still a decent amount of room to ventilate the system, but I think a little more would be a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Anyone who went throught 9 to 11 360s already has to lying or doesn't take care of their 360 game console system well. A person needing a 360 to replaced about every 2 months is insane considering the system came out out Novemember of 2005 if the person is one of the first to get a 360 system.

I know the 360 is not exactly reliable, so I am not shocked if a person might go through 2 to 4 systems already. Anything more then that is questionable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on my third console in a little over 7 months. I practically don't play my 360 so it's definitely not abused.

The problem here is that once you get a faulty console, you keep getting refurbished ones that break in a matter of weeks, months if you're lucky (or don't use your console too much)... Hopefully their supposedly new replacement heat sinks will stop this trend (and hopefully the last one I got was one of them... ).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to remember him saying that he was killing debug systems by doing things he shouldn't have. Here's a hint, don't flashy-flashy things you shouldn't.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    I think of my 360 as a computer not a game system and so far I have yet to have any problems.
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit: Why should you have to do this? Has any other game console ever required that it not be under the TV w/ all your other a/v stuff? I'll give you the first model PSX, but it didn't usually just all-out quit. I guess for me if I have to treat it like a computer, I'd rather have the performance and flexibility of... you guessed it, a computer!

Maybe you disagree or are just willing to lower your standards for the games, but not very long ago a track record like this would have sunk a game company.

note: I'm using the grand 'you', I'm not picking on jcalder, or anyone for that matter. It is just an interesting conversation.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

every SCPH1001 I've ever come across has minor to major problems

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is remarkable. I'm definitely staying out of this generation of consoles. Everything seems rushed to market with a multitude of poor decision making. Between the format wars, the PS3 price point, and shoddy manufacturing, I am not impressed as a consumer. The technology is a moderate step up from the previous generation yet carries countless new problems. HD gaming just isnt worth the hassle right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit: Why should you have to do this? Has any other game console ever required that it not be under the TV w/ all your other a/v stuff?.
    Exactly. It's total bullshit you have to take "extra" precautions to friggin play the console and do shit like make sure it has ventilation, stays cool, and other b.s.

My Turbografx didn't mind being sandwiched sideways between a bunch of books and a tape player I'll tell you that :P

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and your turbografx ran on what, 11volts?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on my third 360 bUt i bought mine at costco so i have no problem returning it for a new one!! Their return policy kicks ass!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I dont see a ton of problems with the PS3, just the 360. I am just lucky to have a day one 360 with no problems...yet.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez. After the few 360's I had problems with, well, I just gave up. I did think that the Elite would perhaps finally be a solid device, but now I am hearing the same old song and dance. I wish a third party would create the hardware, so that maybe I can have a solid console to play all of those great games...

I have two Dreamcast units dated Oct 1999....both have *never* failed. No reason in my eyes that a new system (or even a system that is 1 year old) should cause problems under normal use. All I do know is that customer loyalty to Microsoft in this house is at 0%.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know how people can compare a system like the 360 to a fucking Dreamcast, or god forbid, a Turbografx. These new systems are literally power hungry PCs packed into a tiny tiny box. Can you imagine cramming everything in your PC into a box as small as the 360 and making it work well in any condition?

Just try to keep your 360 cool and you should be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Really have to wonder, in 5 to 10 years how many consoles from 2005 - 2007 will still be alive and kicking. The PS3 has it's problems too, but the failure rate on the 360 seems like it's through the roof. I myself have been lucky so far, but I have to wonder when mine is just gonna quit like the rest...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes... I've heard as bad as 7 to 8 but 9 is the worst off I've heard of... though I'm sure there is worse cases. Already bought my Wii but, I am definately glad I decided to wait and see with the 360 and PS3.

Was the Xbox as plague stricken as the 360? I'm planning to buy an Xbox soon. Found a new one for sale in a specialty shop kinda close by for $100 packaged with a Star Wars game and another game I don't remember. I never owned one myself but, Fuyukaze's has been dead for years now and he's the only person I know that owns one.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    its very possible, that we could have an anit- M$ person here... I love all these "I have had xxx multiple 360's fail"... the internet is a beautiful thing.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!