Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I downloaded the new PS3 update and now my PS3 is dead.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I downloaded the new PS3 update and now my PS3 is dead.

Today I downloaded the new PS3 update. I think it's Firmware 1.90 or 1.92 or something like that. Anyways, I downloaded it, and everything seems to be fine with it, played around with it for a half an hour and everything seemed fine, and then I turned it off.

Then tonite, I turn it back on, and started viewing some photos via a USB thumbdrive. I was copying the photos to the PS3, because you can now use a photo as your background. This is one of the new features of the 1.90 firmware. So I'm copying the photos to my PS3, and then all of a sudden, it just completely freezes. I see the photo on the screen, but the controller doesn't work, and everything is just frozen. Then my PS3 beeps like 3 times, and shuts off, and the red light on the front of the PS3 is flashing and won't stop. It kept flashing and flashing, till I finally shut the system off, via the switch on the back.

So at this point, I'm wondering WTF.... But I figure maybe it just froze up, and it was a one time thing. So I try to turn it on with my Sixaxis, but it won't turn on. I connect my Sixaxis to the PS3 via the USB cable, and try to turn it on, and it still won't turn on. Then I hit the power button on the front, and it turns on. Then I'm bouncing around some of the menus and I watch a little video trailer, it plays for about a minute, and then all of a sudden the PS3 locks up again, right in the middle of the video. It beeps again 3 times, and shuts off, and the red light on the front is flashing over and over and won't stop. Again, the only way I can shut it off, is by flicking the switch on the back.

I tried it one more time, and the same thing happened again. This time, I only had my PS3 on for like 2 minutes and it shut off. I called the 1-800 Sony support number, but they were already closed. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what I should do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh. This sounds like a varient of the "red rings". Good luck. Drop a line with any update. Till then my PS3 is in timeout...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv View Post
    Ugh. This sounds like a varient of the "red rings". Good luck. Drop a line with any update. Till then my PS3 is in timeout...

After I call the CSR tomorrow, I'll update with what they tell me. Because it keeps doing the same thing over and over, I'm thinking it definitely is going to need to be repaired. What sucks is, that from what I've heard, everybody that has had to send their PS3 in for repair, has gotten a refurbished unit, and often times their refurbished unit will have problems of it's own. Oh well, shiznit happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I posted a thread about the Sony service.

Yes, they ship you a refurb, but it is a very fast process. You get the box in 5 to 7 business days, you ship it back overnight, you get yours back 3 day select.

My new system has scratches all over the front of the console (the lip i guess), but the shell is all new and so is the media card area and power/reset area. It still has the same problem as my old one, so I'm guessing that I just have shitty luck (problem with hdmi port).

Anyway, don't be nervous about the refurb, since they really do look new for the most part.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Thats horrible luck.

Good luck, dude. I've been through 3 360s, so I feel your pain.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk, but I hope these are just isolated incidents and not the 360 all over again. If there is a problem with PS3, then I swear to God, I'm going to throw the next gen consoles in the trash and go back to Saturn for good.

G-Boobie, out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck, I just found out that I need the receipt to get my PS3 fixed. I bought this PS3 used off Craigslist, and the dude didn't have a receipt. I don't know what the heck I'm gonna do. I guess I could try going back to the gamestop where the dude bought it from, and see if there is some way they can look up the receipt on their system and print another receipt. Somehow I really doubt they will be able to print out a receipt from January 2007.

When I bought the PS3 off this dude, I made it a point to get as much info from the guy as I could, because I knew that the PS3 could have a problem at some point, and I would have to send it in for warranty repair. The dude couldn't remember if he ever registered for the warranty or not, and I figured if I got all his information, if something happened, I could just use his information and pretend he had a new address (my address), and then everything would be cool. Then, after I bought it from him, I took it home and checked online, and he actually never registered it. So I registered it in my name, and I figured that if anything ever happened to it, I was home free. Then tonite the damn thing breaks, and I find out that if you don't have a receipt, you can't get your PS3 repaired. Now, I'm very depressed. This 20 gigger was such a good deal, at least I thought it was a good deal. $300 straight up, for a 20 gigger with an extra Sixaxis controller and a HDMI cable. But now it appears I just threw $300 in the trash. FUCCCKKKKKKKK!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my ps3 on ebay from someone in puerto rico, so canturally the receipt is not from the US, if I happen to run into a problem with my ps3 as well will they give me problems since I am in the US and the ps3 was bought in another country?

I am hesitant to DL the update now if this becomes a for sure bug for the ps3 update...

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I thought you bought all your new stuff at Costco or whatever?

The thing still turns on sometimes right? Maybe it's a widespread problem adn there will be a patch to fix it via a very quick download, or a disc or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Fuck, I just found out that I need the receipt to get my PS3 fixed. I bought this PS3 used off Craigslist, and the dude didn't have a receipt. I don't know what the heck I'm gonna do. I guess I could try going back to the gamestop where the dude bought it from, and see if there is some way they can look up the receipt on their system and print another receipt. Somehow I really doubt they will be able to print out a receipt from January 2007.

When I bought the PS3 off this dude, I made it a point to get as much info from the guy as I could, because I knew that the PS3 could have a problem at some point, and I would have to send it in for warranty repair. The dude couldn't remember if he ever registered for the warranty or not, and I figured if I got all his information, if something happened, I could just use his information and pretend he had a new address (my address), and then everything would be cool. Then, after I bought it from him, I took it home and checked online, and he actually never registered it. So I registered it in my name, and I figured that if anything ever happened to it, I was home free. Then tonite the damn thing breaks, and I find out that if you don't have a receipt, you can't get your PS3 repaired. Now, I'm very depressed. This 20 gigger was such a good deal, at least I thought it was a good deal. $300 straight up, for a 20 gigger with an extra Sixaxis controller and a HDMI cable. But now it appears I just threw $300 in the trash. FUCCCKKKKKKKK!
    That's lame of Sony. Has the PS3 even been out for a year yet?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did he pay with cash or credit? If he paid with credit they should be able to bring up a name or something. Damn hope sony comes out with a patch or something.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Sorry to here about your PS3.

You got me paranoid though.

I updated this morning myself, so I'm now testing to make sure everything works -- I seem to be OK.

I have not tried to do anything with a thumb-drive or the backgrounds so I wonder if there is an issue there or if you may simply have a hard-drive failure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3 View Post
    I bought my ps3 on ebay from someone in puerto rico, so canturally the receipt is not from the US, if I happen to run into a problem with my ps3 as well will they give me problems since I am in the US and the ps3 was bought in another country?

I am hesitant to DL the update now if this becomes a for sure bug for the ps3 update...

Hopefully your PS3 doesn't have any problems, because if it does, it will be very difficult for you to get it fixed. They absolutely require the receipt for warranty repair.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post
    Last edited by Anthony1; 07-25-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I thought you bought all your new stuff at Costco or whatever?

I have two PS3's. The first one I bought on launch day. It's a 60 gigger. That one is working fine. I actually bought it at GameStop. I wish I bought it at Costco, but Costco didn't have any PS3's available till sometime in January.

This PS3 that isn't working is a 20 gigger that I bought a couple of weeks ago from this dude off Craigslist. I wasn't necessarily looking to buy a second PS3, but I just thought it was such a good deal I couldn't resist. It was $300 straight up, and it came with an extra Sixaxis controller. I sold both of the Sixaxis controllers for $30 each, so in essence, I bought this PS3 for $240. I was pretty much thinking of it as another Blu Ray player that I could keep in my living room. Before I would move my 60 gig from room to room, but moving the PS3 from room to room isn't exactly easy, mainly because it's such a large and heavy machine.

Looking back on things now, I should have bought a PS3 the moment that my local Costco got one in stock, even though you have to pay extra for the bundle, and I should have sold my launch day 60 gigger (from GameStop) at a loss, and just dealt with it. Then I would have a PS3 from Costco, and I would be pretty much covered for at least 3 or 4 years or so. I also should have never bought a used product from anybody, unless I got the receipt and everything else. I did get all the dudes information, but I never really thought about the receipt. I thought that you basically enter the warranty information online, and then you are good to go. Unfortunately with Sony, they require that you send a photocopy of your original receipt, along with the PS3 when you send it in for repair.
    Last edited by Anthony1; 07-25-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    This PS3 that isn't working is a 20 gigger that I bought a couple of weeks ago from this dude off Craigslist.
    I suspect that the 1.90 update has nothing to do with your PS3 crapping out. No one else has reported any problems with the update (this is a very important point). I think the guy sold you a bum PS3. It just took a little while for the problems to manifest.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like you uploaded too many photos or a photo that was too big... or it could be that you uploaded a photo in a file format that the system doesn't recognize or support... it's also possible that one of your photos became corrupted somehow, or maybe it was infected with a virus... so why don't you try to find out what the 3 beep code means first... I'm sure that it means something like PC beep codes do, and my guess is that it prolly has something to do with the system memory... from the sound of it you have something clogging up the memory... that's why you can get it to run for a little while and then it locks up again... whatever is clogging up the memory is preventing it from clearing out the cache like it should while it's running... apparently only shutting it down is clearing out the cache, and then when you start it up again it locks up as soon as the cache fills up again... I'm no expert on PS3 problems, but I do have some training on PC problems, and that's my best guess for what's wrong with it... careful what you upload!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

God I never thought that if your PS3 failed you'd have to have the receipt to get it repaired. I'll have to be careful when I'm buying mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Ohnoes, I think I lost my receipt. I always keep them but I have no idea where my PS3 one is at the moment. That's bullshit you need the receipt, if they give a year warranty and it hasn't even been a year yet, then what the fuck is the problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

They don't honor the warranty without the receipt? I thought that they usually go by the serial numbers? That's pretty damn ridiculous, even for Sony.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

oh man now I'm all freaked out about it. I paid the full blown $600 price tag and if it shits the bed on me, I don't think I'll be able to afford another one until its considered a classic system. I'm gonna strictly use it for games and blue ray for a while until i hear some more news about it.