Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Thokk

Default FC Twin: Opinions?

I read a thread earlier this week talking about the merits of a Nex and Toaster. I am curious about the FC Twin since it plays both NES and SNES carts, is small and seemingly has good reviews; at least from those on Amazon.

I am quite bummed that 'Vania 3 seems to be a no show on everything but the genuine article consoles (it's my favorite of the 8 bit 'Vanias), and I know that Famicom carts would be out, but other than that, has anyone gotten any hands on time with one of these?

Here's an Amazon link to the console:
    http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000L4Y5IS/...612025-7923118

Thanks!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I feel the same way, dude. I know where your coming from. I'm a bit low on cash ATM, and I'm trying to decide between a FC Twin, a Generation NEX, or a Dreamcast.

FC Twin is generally the best deal, as your getting two complete consoles in one, even though there are some minor glitches. Best bang for the buck.

Generation NEX is the nicest looking one IMO, and the ability to play Famicon games is a very nice touch. However, since I can not speak Japanese, this seems to be not worth the money, at least for me.

The Dreamcast is a Dreamcast, what more can I say?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You'll want to read this thread which you may have missed.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...highlight=twin

Ok, I'm a known "fan" of the Generation NEX. It doesn't have the same blinking issues as a toaster NES and you don't have to replace a 72-pin connector all the time. Plus you don't have to modify the system, like you do with an official Nintendo top-loader, just to get a connection other than RF. Unlike the top-loader, you can also use a Game Genie without buying a separate adapter or cutting your system up. Sure, Castlevania III and Gauntlet won't play on the Generation NEX but Gauntlet isn't that essential and I'm sure you can find some other way to play Castlevania III *wink wink*

FC Twin, though? What problems did the original Super NES ever have? Man, just get an original SNES. FC Twin is useless for NES games because you can't use NES controllers or a zapper. You can at least use them on the Generation NEX.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-25-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Thokk

Thanks all for the great responses. I appreciate the perspectives.

I have a few different reasons for asking about this particular machine. First, is that I would love to minimize the number of devices hooked up. I have my original SNES that, to my knowledge, works fine. I'd just rather have one box do both. However, it sounds as if the FC Twin is not really viable for me as the NES support is not that great and my SNES is fully functional.

My old toaster needs a new slot, of course, which is what got me looking in the first place. The NEX was really attractive because it supports the famicom carts as well as NES, but if I could get both NES and SNES with one device, so much the better. Looks like, at least for my purposes, the NEX may be the way to go.

Damn . . . really bugs me about the non-'Vania III compatibility though. I wonder what it is about that one that gums things up? It's probably my all time favorite NES title. I went through and finished it using each respective character exclusively, such as you can, back in the day. Oh well. I guess getting to play everything else but that has its good points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I feel the same way, dude. I know where your coming from. I'm a bit low on cash ATM, and I'm trying to decide between a FC Twin, a Generation NEX, or a Dreamcast.

FC Twin is generally the best deal, as your getting two complete consoles in one, even though there are some minor glitches. Best bang for the buck.

Generation NEX is the nicest looking one IMO, and the ability to play Famicon games is a very nice touch. However, since I can not speak Japanese, this seems to be not worth the money, at least for me.

The Dreamcast is a Dreamcast, what more can I say?
    I'd say go for the Dreamcast. The Super Nintendo's my favorite system and all, but I'd have to say for the sake of Castlevania 3 and Hogan's Alley, wait until you get more money to buy them separately. But that's just my opinion anyways. If you can stand missing a few games and the minor setbacks, than by all means grab the FC Twin.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just a Suggestion

I've played around with some FC twins at a flea market game store (if you have any large markets in your area you may find them at a game booth there) and they work ok... But I'd try buying game some bits (if you haven't already tried this) taking your games apart and clean your games with real metal cleaner and not alcohol (because it didnt work for me). I did this with all cartridge games I've owned, and it wors great. Also take your NES apart and clean the motherboard (where the 72-PIN meets the board) gently with the cleaner and see if you don't get good results... It has worked wonders for me... and I get no blinking.. and all my games now work perfectly. I learned this from reading a forum somewhere... and looking at a photo tutorial on how to take it apart. All you need is a Philips screwdriver for the NES. This is taken into account that your NES is dirty rather than missing pins or broken. If so disregard this advice. The link to that photo tutorial is here. The Motherboard connector is visible in pic 8. Give it a chance unless you've already tried.

http://home.centurytel.net/wcp/nes/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pirate the NES hardware, unless you wanna be like me and spend months on maitenence. But all other systems are stable in there og forms.
    http://www.twitch.tv/jumanjicastle/ - Playing classic games in RGB Scart and Component