Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lured By The Price Drop

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the OP:
    Like you, I made use of the price drop and bought a PS3 from Circuit City with the free second controller. I bought it because I wanted a version with the PS2 chip before the 60GB version gets discontinued.

You're right when it comes to the so far weak game library. Looking at the games I could have waited another year to buy this system walking out of the store with a $600 receipt; when I handed over my credit card I remembered that I bought in 1991 the SNES, a cutting edge machine, for $180; now I have to pay a lot of money for a multi-media machine with lots of schnicknack that makes it very expensive and less reliable.

My suggestions: Motorstorm, the best PS3 exclusive by far, and certainly a blast if you like racing games; (another possibility is Formula One Championship Edition, much more like your common first generation console racer; or Ridge Racer 7 if you haven't played RR 6 on the 360 yet; great racer as well).

If you're into RPGs buy the solid multiplatform Enchanted Arms which dropped to $20 (at CC, I think it is a universal price drop).

If you haven't played it on the Xbox yet, Ninja gaiden Sigma.

If you like Tennis games, go for the multiplatform Virtua Tennis 3.

Motorstorm, I think, is by far the best recommendation as a PS3 exclusive in an otherwise mediocre game library. Great gameplay, great fun, and it shows the graphical capabilities of the machine.
    Last edited by lendelin; 07-26-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Blu Ray movies...
    seconded.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the OP:

First you post this: "I need something to play on my shiny new console. What do you all suggest?"

Then you say this: "...but until that time comes - or I have some burning desire to play some demos - the box may remain sealed."

So you didn't look for games to play "on your shiny new console," but for a thread for threads sake. Bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    To the OP:

First you post this: "I need something to play on my shiny new console. What do you all suggest?"

Then you say this: "...but until that time comes - or I have some burning desire to play some demos - the box may remain sealed."

So you didn't look for games to play "on your shiny new console," but for a thread for threads sake. Bad.

Wow, way to try and pick a fight with me and completely take my statements - one of which you abbreviated - out of context to make it seem as though there is some sort of contradiction. I'll spell it out for you, ok?

When I asked for suggestions I genuinely wanted some, which I got. After reading people's various suggestions, and not seeing any games mentioned I wasn't already quite aware of and not enamored with, I then went on to say "I am absolutely certain that there will eventually be some very compelling reasons to own a PS3, but until that time comes - or I have some burning desire to play some demos - the box may remain sealed."

So where's the contradiction? I asked for suggestions for something to play on the PS3 I just bought. People offered me suggestions. I read those suggestions. None of them appealed to me. Therefore, I said I may just leave my PS3 in its box for the time being.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

Fear and Ultimate Xmen are good choices if you have not played them on other platforms.

I enjoyed Untold Legends Dark Kingdom, but I think i am in the minority on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Fear and Ultimate Xmen are good choices if you have not played them on other platforms.

I enjoyed Untold Legends Dark Kingdom, but I think i am in the minority on that one.
    Actually I loved Dark Kingdom, as you can see I logged 66 hours in it online.

Problem is the online structure is broken cause of lack of using chracters on other servers, and the level cap of 40 is just WAY too short. Also the camera can be a bugger at times.

The moves/combos are very well done, and being able to throw enemies is fun.

It is actually a very worthy formula to the Diablo/Baldur's Gate franchise just not as meaty. It was too short lived and not enough content to keep me playing. I'm really holding out for the next one as I love the core gameplay/structure.

Btw, anyone who plays this game should TURN OFF enemy and alias target icons as they are very annoying. The game is easier to view without those big ass health bars getting in the way.

I will gladly play with you sometime if you want. What's your psn name?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Buy All Pro Football 2k8. You won't be disappointed. I don't care if you aren't a football fan. Just buy it

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ummmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Actually I loved Dark Kingdom, as you can see I logged 66 hours in it online.

Problem is the online structure is broken cause of lack of using chracters on other servers, and the level cap of 40 is just WAY too short. Also the camera can be a bugger at times.

The moves/combos are very well done, and being able to throw enemies is fun.

It is actually a very worthy formula to the Diablo/Baldur's Gate franchise just not as meaty. It was too short lived and not enough content to keep me playing. I'm really holding out for the next one as I love the core gameplay/structure.

Btw, anyone who plays this game should TURN OFF enemy and alias target icons as they are very annoying. The game is easier to view without those big ass health bars getting in the way.

I will gladly play with you sometime if you want. What's your psn name?
    Um...you seem to have wnjoyed it quite a bit more. I never even played it online. I was thinking of just the single player. I really thought the combat was more intuitive than any others games of this sort.

It could have had a better story and scripting though.

My nick/handle is always the same as it is here...it keeps things simple.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I really don't see the shitty games lineup. I took great advantage of the price drop by paying very little for a used PS3 that had to be reduced further BECAUSE of Sony's move. (THANKS, SONY!!!) Added the HDMI cables and I was set. Many of you have been around long enough to know that you have to wait a bit for the powerhouse games to show, so why the surprise? I picked up several games with the console.....F1, Oblivion (here we go again ), Motorstorm, Dark Kingdom, Darkness, Call Of Duty, and Ridge....and find them ALL to be playable, good looking and fun despite the "pro" reviews. Don't be so picky and enjoy what we have while waiting to see what's around the corner. It wasn't long ago when you were pissing your pants in anticipation of Sony's new monster. It finally arrives and many of you aren't happy?!?!? I haven't posted on here for a while and come back to find a bit of a Gamefaqs forum air creeping in. Ridge Racer 7 running on an LCD with HDMI isn't GOOD enough for some serious wow factor?!?!? (AND it handles buttery smooth). Some of you really need to hang up the whole videogaming thing and go find something else to do with your time. You'll never be satisfied.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I'd suggest grabbing a shedload Blu Ray movies to keep you busy, cos you'll be waiting till 2008 for the decent games to show up...

or even better, grab a 360 and play the great games on that while Killzone 2 and MGS4 are still being worked on.

Right now there is absolutely nothing on PS3. The machine's library will get better with time, but right now anyone who has a PS3 (me included) is being ripped off with a Blu Ray player and web browser in the guise of a console....

...But at least that's more than what the Wii is offering us right now. Good to see Nintendo not bothering to solve a 10 year-long drought of third party support, lack of games, screwing the UK over, and not pushing a machine to it's true potential until nobody cares about it anymore.

Wii right now stinks. PS3 isn't far behind, and if it doesn't get some good exclusive games by Q3 2007 I'm gonna be pissed.
    Last edited by Juganawt; 07-28-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.