Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wii sales exceed 9.27 million

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii sales exceed 9.27 million

As of June 30, 2007, 9.27 million Wii consoles and 47.27 million DS consoles have been sold worldwide.

Also as of June 30, 2007, 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide.

For more information:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/807/807852p1.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No hundredths love for the 360? Japan is notorious for shunning anything not made in Japan, so the 360 numbers are, essentially, great(since it, like the Xbox before it, hasn't sold squat there!) How about PS3? Being outsold by your previous generation hardware(PS2) must be painful!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my third 360 died took it back to costco got $479 cash and ended up getting a wii Instead tell you the truth i miss my 360 ALOT!!!!!!!! But im just going to wait till till microsoft gets their shit together. i also heard that a $50 dollar price drop Aug 8 yeah wii is cool to play with friends and family but by yourself its stupid. plus it looks like crap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I was hyped for the Wii like no other. Stood in line on launch day and bought it with seven games. Cost me $600.

To say the Wii is pissing me off would be an understatement. Here I thought it would purely be a hardcore console. I really only thought it would catch on with the hardcore crowd. My thinking "Casuals are not gonna understand the control setup." The casuals would stick with the traditional controls of Sega, Microsoft, and Sony. Madden, Halo, GTA, etc.

Turns out it's the complete opposite what I had expected. Nothing but a damn casual console. Those seven games I bought at launch were the only ones I bought until June when RE4 came out. When the best game on your console is a port of a two and half year old game, something I've already bought twice before ('Cube and PS2) making it the third version I own, you know something is wrong. Not to mention I play said version with a GameCube controller.

Everything is a damn mini-game fest. All these parents and families wanting a Wii. Why do they want a Wii? Goddamn Bowling. You know, for $250, you could actually, go to the damn bowling alley for probably two weeks worth.

Watching Nintendo's Press Conference, I wanted to vomit. All the constant media whoring, and nonstop talk of targeting people woh don't play games. The fact they spent a grand total of maybe ten minutes tops on Galaxy, Smash, and the Metroid demo just made it worse.

Oh and, why the hell must every fucking trailer have these stupid "actors" shown acting out the control motions?

Oh and, blame the casuals for RE becoming a light-gun shooter on Wii. Don't get me wrong, the game will be amazing, but it was originally gonna be like RE4. Capcom's reasoning for making Chronicles the way it is? "Wii owners are casuals, and they suck at gaming. So we made it so you just point at the screen."

So maybe I went a little overboard with the elitism, it's late and I need to get to bed.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft better do something fast or the Wii is going to trample them in sales soon. A $50 price drop will help sales some, no doubt about it. But I don't think it will be enough.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised, I brought the Wii at launch, being a keen Nintendo supporter, even after the Cube AND N64, with a bunch of games etc, and I sold it a month or two ago becasue the games pretty much sucked. I plan to buy it back but only when there are some decent titles out. So, despite the lackluster line up of Wii games available, it's still selling like hotcakes. I can't wait to see what happens when the Good games start rolling in

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally bought Wii, played Super Paper Mario until I finished it. Nice game, but I have my complaints about it.

Haven't touched the Wii since.

Reading about it before it's release on the Neo Geo forum, this was going to be the system with the 2D shooters and arcade ports, given that Nintendo woundn't be restricting 2D games like Sony did. So far 360's looking slightly more appealing, but I don't want a $400.00 box that's likely to die on me.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I love my Wii, my only complaint is that many of the games are party games. I was happy to see that Metal slug made an appearance, but I have owned the same games for quite a while. That, and the accessories are REALLY EXPENSIVE! 40 for a controller, 19 for a classic, 19 for a nunchuk, and I rarely see any of the accessories. Give it some time and before we know it, the game will probably blow us away.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats to Nintendo. It was a pretty risky strategy, and it's nice to see it pay off for them. I camped all night to get my Wii on launch day, and haven't regretted it a day since. Fantastic console, a bunch of good games, and an excellent lineup throughout the rest of 2007. I'm still waiting for *the* game that shows off the wiimote's full potential - a big, AAA Star Wars game, or weapon-based RPG. Hopefully the continuing strong sales will spur 3rd parties to do bigger, better games. But in the mean time, I'm very happy with it. I ended up getting a 360 this year, too (mostly for Bomberman), but I really enjoy my Wii. They're the perfect combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by kjmontana View Post
    No hundredths love for the 360? Japan is notorious for shunning anything not made in Japan, so the 360 numbers are, essentially, great(since it, like the Xbox before it, hasn't sold squat there!) How about PS3? Being outsold by your previous generation hardware(PS2) must be painful!
    For the last time, that is a myth. Xbox fails in Japan because they don't have games Japanese want, and they have the worst marketing ever on top of that.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    I was hyped for the Wii like no other. Stood in line on launch day and bought it with seven games. Cost me $600.

To say the Wii is pissing me off would be an understatement. Here I thought it would purely be a hardcore console. I really only thought it would catch on with the hardcore crowd. My thinking "Casuals are not gonna understand the control setup." The casuals would stick with the traditional controls of Sega, Microsoft, and Sony. Madden, Halo, GTA, etc.

Turns out it's the complete opposite what I had expected. Nothing but a damn casual console. Those seven games I bought at launch were the only ones I bought until June when RE4 came out. When the best game on your console is a port of a two and half year old game, something I've already bought twice before ('Cube and PS2) making it the third version I own, you know something is wrong. Not to mention I play said version with a GameCube controller.

Everything is a damn mini-game fest. All these parents and families wanting a Wii. Why do they want a Wii? Goddamn Bowling. You know, for $250, you could actually, go to the damn bowling alley for probably two weeks worth.

Watching Nintendo's Press Conference, I wanted to vomit. All the constant media whoring, and nonstop talk of targeting people woh don't play games. The fact they spent a grand total of maybe ten minutes tops on Galaxy, Smash, and the Metroid demo just made it worse.

Oh and, why the hell must every fucking trailer have these stupid "actors" shown acting out the control motions?

Oh and, blame the casuals for RE becoming a light-gun shooter on Wii. Don't get me wrong, the game will be amazing, but it was originally gonna be like RE4. Capcom's reasoning for making Chronicles the way it is? "Wii owners are casuals, and they suck at gaming. So we made it so you just point at the screen."

So maybe I went a little overboard with the elitism, it's late and I need to get to bed.

For the most part, your take pretty much explains exactly how I felt with the Wii. I also spent about $600 total on Wii related items. At first, I really enjoyed the Wii, it had a charm all it's own. Playing Wii Sports and Wii Play was like an epiphany. You just got it. You play it, and you understand the whole allure of the Wii. Super Paper Mario was a very fun experience as well. Rayman Raving Rabids was pretty darn fun too. But what happened was, as time went on, the honeymoon period faded away, and I was left with a "Honey I Shrunk the GameCube and added Wi-Fi ", along with a waggle controller, and a parade of mini game collections. Just two weeks ago I ended up selling my Wii and the games I had. And I've also been selling all the various accessoires that I bought for it. I'm not going to recover the original $600 that I spent, but I'll get close to recovering about 75 percent to 80 percent of the $600 that I dropped on the whole "Wii Experience".

Also, I'm not trying to disparage the Wii, with this take... I'll probably get a Wii again sometime in the distant future, when Mario Galaxy is a pack in, and you can buy one for $99.99 . Based on how it's selling at $250, that will probably be Xmas 2010, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I feel the same way as you guys, Cloud and Anthony. I too spent about $510 total on everything I bought for my Wii, everything was on launch day except for a component cable. I loved the thing for about a month.

Fastforward to the middle of march sometime, and me sitting there not at all impressed with the thing, having not even played it since christmas (literally, December 25th) I decided to sell the thing while it was still hot. I got $500 for it with my games, and kept the component cable. So I basically ended up paying $10 (after you factor in taxes) to rent the Wii and games I bought for about 4 months, and the price of the component cable. I haven't looked back since.

I'm sure I'll pick one up again soon, but at this point I don't care half as much or even a quarter of what I would have or should be feeling about SMG and SSBB at this point. I'll pick up those games with a black Wii, whenever they get around to making one after all these people stop buying them to look at.

Black 360 + Black PS3 + Black Wii + Black HDTV + Black Home Theatre System = Harmony.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I bought mine two days after launch at the NYC World Store, while visiting Portnoyd and the DP Store. I picked up Zelda and Super Monkey Ball. Once I got past the initial 'rush' of a new Nintendo system, I was left with the same buyer's remorse that I got with the Cube.

Zelda was sold without even seeing the inside of the console. Monkey Ball has been in the drive twice.

I got Elebits for Chistmas last year. Played once. I like the game, too.

Got Wii Play not long after it came out. It's been played maybe three times, only if there's company over.

Wii Sports has pretty much taken up residence in the machine, and even it's not played much, despite the fact that I love bowling. I just don't want to put it back in the sleeve it came in.

I rented Mario Party 8, and it got a few plays. More than any of the games I own or have owned, actually, barring Wii Sports. But the novelty wore off and it's being returned to GameFly.

Mario Strikers looks like fun, and I do look forward to Galaxy and Smash Bros., but I can't help but think I could have done without the Wii. Right now, it's disconnected and at my fiancee's house, where I forgot it about two weeks ago. I'm not missing it.

I can understand the sales figures, and whoever said that it was a 'casual console' hit the nail on the head.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Zelda was sold without even seeing the inside of the console. Monkey Ball has been in the drive twice.
    That's too bad because The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a lot of fun. The controls are great, as is the art direction.

There are other highly rated Wii games too, like The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Scarface: The World is Yours, Super Paper Mario, SSX Blur, Excite Truck, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Call of Duty 3, Metal Slug Anthology, etc.

In addition, these games are scheduled to be released within the next five weeks:

Mario Strikers Charged
    Boogie
    Madden NFL 08
    Mercury Meltdown Revolution
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

The new Metroid game is supposed to be superb.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 07-26-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I agree, Godfather is great on Wii. That's exactly how I imagined the controls to be for a Wii game as soon as I saw the Wiimote. I played it a bit on Wii, and enjoyed it immensely, though I'm waiting for a price drop to at least $30 before I pick it up.

I've been saying since E3 2006 that Mario Galaxy will be Game of The Year 2007, followed closely by Mass Effect. Now, I'm think it'll be the other way around. Why? Because of all the casuals buying the Wii, Nintendo will dumb down Galaxy's difficulty. That will be what keeps it from winning Game of The Year. It will too easy. Don't get me wrong, Galaxy will be AMAZING (It's my most hyped Wii game. Even moreso than Resident Evil and Metroid, which is saying A LOT), but I just know it will be too easy. I'm hoping I'm wrong though....

Oh and, Metroid is my favorite Nintendo franchise (followed by F-Zero), and from what I've seen of Corruption, it's more of an FPS than ever before. ARGH! I've heard so many people bitch and moan about no dual analog in Metroid Prime, Metroid Echoes, and Resident Evil 4....

Hey! They're not shooters! They're adventure games! You explore! You people rave about how great Zelda is. Look at the classic Metroids, and the new Metroids. They're just side scrolling and first person versions of Zelda. In RE4, it's to create the tension of getting chased and getting out alive.

Hell, that reminds me of a friend of mine who likes Zelda but was watching me play Super Metroid once, and asked me "What the hell is the point of this game?" I explained it to him, and he said it's a worthless game and pointless. Oh and Zelda isn't the same way?

Sorry, excuse the rant.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say this about the Wii, when Metroid comes out, and "De Blob" and Mario Galaxy and Zak and Wiki, I will miss it a bit. I would have liked to have had the ability to try those games out. But, not for the amount of the money the Wii and all the extras cost. I ended up dropping way too much coin on that whole deal. I was lucky to get most of it back by selling it while it's still super hot. I would be willing to pick up a Wii for $99.99, if it has a great pack in game, but I'm guessing that isn't going to happen for a very, very, very long time. So I'm pretty much sitting the whole Wii thing out. It was fun while it lasted, and those of you that still love your Wii's... don't listen to me or any of the other dissapointed former Wii owners. If you like it, and are enjoying it, then ignore the naysayers and enjoy your games.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Cloud and Athony

Couldn't agree more. Everything on the Wii that's worth getting are ports of old games, ports of DS games, or ports of GC games that were shifted to the Wii at the last minute. It's getting pretty disgusting. And of the big three (Mario, Metroid and Brawl) only one of them seems to be significantly designed for the Wii. What's been shown of Metroid in terms of control hasn't really impressed me (unless they've got surprises up their sleeve) and Brawl can be played with a GC controller and isn't guaranteed to be online... so why bother?

Let's hope Zack and Wiki shows Nintendo and the rest of the Wii's development community how to make an actual Wii game. It's sad that this job is falling into the hands of a third party.

And those aren't numbers sold, those are numbers shipped, so the Wii's installed base is lower than that I imagine.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

I'm glad to see the Wii is selling well, but kinda worried about the impact it will have on gaming... it seems that the non-gamer is now the target customer, and both Sony and Microsoft will be sure to follow suit eventually. I just hope that there's a balance so that people who want a bit more depth aren't stuck with shitty accessory-driven party games.

I've changed my tune soooooo much from this time last year, when I thought the Wii looked like it could be the "saviour" of videogames. I bought a Wii at launch and really enjoyed Zelda, really enjoyed Wii Sports. The other games I've played didn't feel right or just aren't compelling to me; Red Steel, Call of Duty 3, Wii Play, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Splinter Cell, Excite Truck... not all my own choices (some were presents) but none of them have made me want to play my Wii again. RE4 has given the Wii a new lease of life in my house but, like other people here, I already played it through on Gamecube about two years ago.

There's other Wii games I'm after but living in the UK means I'm about six months behind most people here; Elebits (or Eledees as it's been called in the UK) was only released a few months ago, Super Paper Mario isn't out until September, and Trauma Centre finally gets released next month. Talk about a slow release schedule. Anyway, I'm hoping this will be the start of a slow trickle of genuinely good Wii games. Fingers crossed...
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    those aren't numbers sold, those are numbers shipped, so the Wii's installed base is lower than that I imagine.
    No, you're incorrect. Unlike Sony, Nintendo has always used sales figures, not shipment figures. To quote IGN's article, "...cumulative Wii hardware sales now stand at 9.27 million worldwide."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i cant wait to get my wii
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile