Thread: Original Standup Donkey Kong Arcade - Good Condition

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original Standup Donkey Kong Arcade - Good Condition

Wondering what a
    Original Standup Donkey Kong Arcade - Good Condition (no problems with monitor or controls, exterior is in good, not great condition) is worth.

I'm going to look at one on Saturday and eBay says there worth $300-600.

Also, wondering what to look for (other than the obvious) in terms of bad signs or whatever.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

I just bought one for $300 & it has a bad capacitor. It all depends on how bad you want it. It`s going to cost me a bit to get it fixed, but it`s worth it to me. Donkey Kong is a classic & it will hold it`s value.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dylan0228 View Post
    I just bought one for $300 & it has a bad capacitor. It all depends on how bad you want it. It`s going to cost me a bit to get it fixed, but it`s worth it to me. Donkey Kong is a classic & it will hold it`s value.
    How much will the capacitor cost you? I know nothing about what to look for and stuff electronically so that bothers me a little.

The guy is offering it for $350 and he only lives about a mile from me in the city (quite convenient), I'm going to try to get it for $300. I really only want it (like you said) because it's a classic (I'm building a mame cabinet, but so what). I just figure for $300 who cares, I don't think it will be worth less in 5 or whatever years so if it's just taking up space I can't possibly lose too much money. Thanks for your reply, hopefully more will come =)

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

I don`t know much about them either, but I`m trying to learn! You can by a new capacitor kit for $10 - $15 I think. I just need to figure out for sure if that`s the problem. It works for about 10 - 15 minutes & then I get vertical lines on the monitor. Numerous sources have told me it`s a bad capacitor without physically looking at it. I think I know someone at work that can tell me for sure, we`ll see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Is it a red cabinet or blue cabinet?

Red cabinets are worth a bit more, because they were early production models that replaced Radarscope.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Is it a red cabinet or blue cabinet?

Red cabinets are worth a bit more, because they were early production models that replaced Radarscope.
    Yeah I read that on KLOV (about the reds), it's blue, which I prefer since it's easier on the eyes to me and looks like all the ones people ever saw. I'm thinking I'll try to get $300, but it's it really nice I'll do it for $350, I don't need it at all, but it's so hard for me to pass up this retro game stuff sometimes.

BTW - Dylan, how much does it weigh?

Nate

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I bought it for $350, it's a little scuffed up and the only problem with it is the power cord is a little stripped (got squished from moving it sometime I'm sure), but the machine works flawlessly and the monitor is in great shape and can get really bright if I crank it up, both coin mechs work so I'm happy.

I'd say it's worth $300 and I might have gotten that, but to drive over there with a vehicle that will fit it and to bring help, too much of a pain to potentially save $50. I'm actually glad it's a little beat up because I'm looking forward to making it mint. I just need to research on how to fully restore them, any ideas/references (other than arcadecontrols.com)?

Nate

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the expense of starting a new thread, hopefully someone in "the know" can help me out with a similar multi-part question.

2 or 3 days ago I came across a working cocktail of DK. Cosmetically it was in good condition, but I noticed a small portion of the vertical lines on the left side of the screen were compressed. Probably about a half inch or so were smooshed into an 1/8th of an inch. It ran the entire length of the vertical resolution, and that seemed to be the only thing wrong with the screen. Is this something as simple as an adjustment, or is that not something that can be diagnosed without getting into it?

Another question would be it's worth. They had it priced at $250. Is this a decent deal, considering the issue with the screen? I'm not looking to resell or anything like that, I'd just like to have it, and the cocktail format is more desirable than the upright for me. Should I hold out for a better deal- I'm in no hurry anyway. I tried ebay completed listings, but there werent really many.

And if I am to understand correctly, the cocktails are identical to the uprights as far as the actual game is concerned right?

Anyway any help would be appreciated. Hopefully an Arcade Alley regular will see this over here in "what it's worth"

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I noticed a small portion of the vertical lines on the left side of the screen were compressed. Probably about a half inch or so were smooshed into an 1/8th of an inch. It ran the entire length of the vertical resolution, and that seemed to be the only thing wrong with the screen. Is this something as simple as an adjustment, or is that not something that can be diagnosed without getting into it?
    Needs a cap kit.

Another question would be it's worth. They had it priced at $250. Is this a decent deal, considering the issue with the screen? I'm not looking to resell or anything like that, I'd just like to have it, and the cocktail format is more desirable than the upright for me. Should I hold out for a better deal- I'm in no hurry anyway. I tried ebay completed listings, but there werent really many.
    $250 is a steal.

And if I am to understand correctly, the cocktails are identical to the uprights as far as the actual game is concerned right?
    Yes.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Needs a cap kit.

$250 is a steal.

Yes.

Thank you for the valuable help. I figured as much, but it was at a Value Village in Charlotte so it's probably already gone.

For further reference are cap kits a big deal to put in? I guess I'll see if there's a tutorial online somewhere.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    For further reference are cap kits a big deal to put in? I guess I'll see if there's a tutorial online somewhere.
    Depends on your comfort level with a soldering iron and high voltage.

You have to discharge the monitor - easy to do, but very dangerous. Once that's done, you'll remove the monitor and disconnect the monitor board. After that, it's a simple matter of replacing all the caps one by one and putting the whole thing back together. There are lots of online tutorials, reading as many as you can find is probably a good idea, you can't be too careful.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW I did get my stand up for $300, still running strong today =)

For $250 I'd pick up that cocktail even w/that issue.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hot damn! I got the manager guy down to $150. And it's now sitting downstairs. I'll start a thread with a complete set of pics tonight, with a receipt. Much thanks for the encouragement Arcade Antics. I feel good about it.