Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPGs to convert the "haters"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dark Cloud 2 did it for me. I hate the fact that most RPGs are linear and force to fight the same lousy enemies over and over, but DC2's Invention System has changed me into an RPG fan. The Invention System lets you photograph household items and combine them, like making recipes in Harvest Moon 64 and Save the Homeland. Also, it's got weirdo characters. I probably won't play it again once I beat it.

I always liked both of those Harvest Moons, but that series reminds me more of a game like Shenmue with a lot of experimentation.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: RPGs to convert the "haters"

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    And BTW, how IS Skull Fang?

Good shooter, solid, decent graphics...but not stunning. For the Saturn, there are FAR superior ones. Don't overpay for it. I paid $10 for a sealed Skullfang from a friend, and it was easily worth it, but I don't think it's worth over $25 or $30 IMO. I did like that you can do Street Fighter-esque moves with your ship to do special attacks tho
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

diablo for the psx rocks.........it's a great game with many quests and quests within quests. a definate love of mine ........sell ya a 40 level warrior too for a $buck lol

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to make a disagreement. DO NOT get the 7th Saga for a RPG hater. That was the first RPG that I have ever played, and thus, I friggin hate RPGs now. That game ruined any chance of me ever liking RPGs. Lame plots, wasted time leveling up, and too many random battles. Enough to drive a shooter fan up the wall. I am so angry at this game, for ruining a genre that I probably would have adored. >
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

@bargora, I'll bet I'm the last person on this board you'd expect to see pop my head in this thread, but I'll toss in my two coppers.

Lunar PSX was the ONLY RPG I managed to play to completion without being lulled in to a deep deep sleep. In fact, it inspired me to get the Sega CD original, so I guess you can say I've played it thought twice.

Of course, I think what I dug about that was what most of the hardcore RPG fans hate the most about it, the silly dialogue. At times it almost felt like a parody of an RPG (more so on the Sega, they toned the re-mix down a peg.) That and the fact that you can take your time and still finish in 20 hours and feel like you got a good deal.

You might check that one out. It's got a "something" to it that made me play it. Of course, I never finished the sequel or any other of the half dozen RPGs I checked out after finishing Lunar so it didn't exactly start a love of the genre. But I liked Lunar and I really did give RPGs a honest try.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Kid
    Panzer Dragoon Saga (yeah, it runs well over $50, but even Captain Wrong liked it).
    ! Actually, confession time, I still haven't FINISHED PDS. It's been well over two years and I still haven't gotten past the beginning of disc 4. But yeah, it's a swell game too, and again, one that seems very different from other RPGs.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

7th Saga is a horrible little game (And I liked it a LOT more than most people

I HAVE to also comment on Diablo. Play Diablo 1, it's fun for a bit, and luckily, it's over fairly quickly. Diablo 2 is the SAME DAMN THING, only MORE BORING.

Everyone who doesn't like RPG'S complains of tedious repetitive monsters? Well Diablo takes the friggin cake. Oh, and don't forget to hike back to town every 15 minutes. Yeah, ALLLLLLLLLLLL the DAMNED WAY ACROSS THE DESERT. OVER AND OVER.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fire up an Amiga and Bard's Tale 1.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.