Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiney gamers ruin it for Hardcore gamers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Just take a look at Star Wars Galaxies, a prime example. Those people busted their asses off to become Jedi just so Sony would update the game where people could be a Jedi from the start, it's this kind of loyalty to the core player that kills me, and if you're going to design a game you should stick to the target you are going after, and not flounder just cause a couple of people get "upset".
    If memory serves, almost everyone had objections about the original implementation of Jedi, especially since becoming a Jedi turned out to be nothing more than a really long grind. It's not like Sony was pandering to some hardcore demographic.

Really, if you want to blame any solitary factor for the current state of gaming - well, you shouldn't, because very few things in this world can ever be traced back to solitary factors. But if you want to, you can blame tightened development schedules that frequently end up with games being rushed out the door before they can be completely debugged, much less pushed through the time-comsuming polishing, tuning, and refinement that would satisfy a "hardcore" gamer.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

To be honest if companies only cater to the "hardcore" crowd as you put it (most retarded classifcation ever) they wouldn't have near as much money to put towards various projects and probably would experiment less with new concepts to ensure the money kept coming in.

Developers are in it to make money. That is the bottom line. There are people with the intention of making leaps and bounds by developing something completely new but in the end it comes down to "will this game sell enough to break even/profit in order to continue making games.

I don't like it when topics like this come up becuase it really tends to be elitist in nature. Think of things this way: with the more easily accessible games out there there will be more gamers in general. These new gamers may break away from the "gateway" games to something a bit more "hardcore". Eventually this could shift the market towards these "hardcore" games, forcing developers to work on more games to please the growing demographing. Right now casual players are the biggest market share but give it time.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought hardcore gamers = the whiney gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_John View Post
    Yeeeaaaahh!!!!!
    And now you show up!

I needed you days ago and you failed me.

"WHAAAAT?"

FAILED ME!

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heh... Personally, my main complaint these days isn't that we're getting too few "hardcore" games, but rather that we're getting too many of them as well. Shovelware is being produced in equal numbers for both the hardcore and the casual audiences, and this automatically means that the "hardcore" gamers are equally responsible for the deteriorating state of games these days as casual gamers are. (please note that I loathe both terms, and don't consider myself to be one or the other)

In the end, it's exactly the same as any other market: what the majority wants is what the majority gets. The fact that it "ruins" it for the few who want more games like Killer7, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus or Rez is a sad, but totally expected and unavoidable fact. So until gamers stop buying into all the countless Maddens, WW2 FPSs, movie adaptations and "casual" games out there (just to name a few), most companies will simply continue to make what they make best: profitable consumer products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

round the xmas of 03, i wanted a gamecube but didn't get it untill a relitive passed away round the following easterthat when i got the cube.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In regard to hardcore gamers: Ego's are like asses. Everyone has one, just some are bigger than others...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The original post seems to be premised upon the "hardcore" group not overlapping the "whiney" group. Not sure I agree. In fact, if the post is taken as quintessintially from the "hardcore" perspective, it quite ironic in content, given what it is apparently meant to convey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    The more I hear about what it takes to be a "hardcore" gamer, the more I'm glad I'm not one.
    Let's form a non hardcore gaming club. If this is what it takes to be "hardcore", I want to be softcore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    Let's form a non hardcore gaming club. If this is what it takes to be "hardcore", I want to be softcore.
    Softcore gamers ftw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    round the xmas of 03, i wanted a gamecube but didn't get it untill a relitive passed away round the following easterthat when i got the cube.
    I want 2 hear more plz!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the book of "Sizz":

"Personally there is all kinds of people. I would rather be in a room with a kid then a adult so I can score tight rather then hanging with an adult talking about junk everybody has to deal with.

Still you have to see there is many types of people in the world and you to deal with them all the time. Only selfish uncaring scumbags would rather not deal with people and look the other way.
    In this world there is many people I rather not give a crap about so I try my hardest to be usefull when I can.
    I like seeing diffrent people on message baords rather then the same exct people on boards. Again I admit when I was at some other boards or at times when I did not have any money I would go off bat."

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    In regard to hardcore gamers: Ego's are like asses. Everyone has one, just some are bigger than others...
    Boy, that was about as profound as your "America is not a democracy" sig. At least you had enough sense to take that down...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whiney players have been ruining MMORPGs since the beginning of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Yeah, whiney gamers tend to ruin things, and so do hardcore

An example is Sonic Adventure. Even with it's glitches, it was amazing, but other characters suffered fron drasticly shorter quests then Sonic. Some complained about it having too much Sonic, so we barly got any Sonic at all in Sonic Adventure 2.

Hardcore gamers and the fact that they refuse to buy anything but FPSes, Sports, and GTA is another factor. A lot of great games end up burried in a sea of mediocraty.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mini Poll:

who is more likely to whine?

A) The non-hardcore gamer that plays on an occasional frequency and sees gaming as a way of entertainment.

B) The hardcore gamer that plays on a high frequency and sees gaming as a way of life.

Extra Credit: which ruins it for the others?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Boy, that was about as profound as your "America is not a democracy" sig. At least you had enough sense to take that down...
    You have an issue with me or are you just PMSing today?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    America's a republic. Just thought I'd throw that out there. But maybe thats the point you were trying to make in the first place. meh

As far as hardcore gamers go. They seem to be the ones that call me fag, queer, or any other large number of mean names because Im not as good at shooting them. Or because I used a weapon thats included in the game (Like chainsaw in gears of war. Maybe I'm better at chainsawing than you are at shooting. Its not cheating. Its in the game.)

I think we should make a list called "A hardcore gamer is..." I suppose mine would be "A hardcore gamer is someone who gets upset when you play by the rules set by the game, as opposed the rules set by the hardcore game crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
    As far as hardcore gamers go. They seem to be the ones that call me fag, queer, or any other large number of mean names because Im not as good at shooting them..
    Umm ok , i dont see how those are considered hardcore gamers >_>
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    Hardcore gamers and the fact that they refuse to buy anything but FPSes, Sports, and GTA is another factor. A lot of great games end up burried in a sea of mediocraty.
    I dont care to be labeled "hardcore gamer" but for better or worse I AM A GAMER

I pick up one sports game per year and maybe a new Madden once every 3 years and I do like SOME FPS but the only FPS ive enjoyed enough to purchase within the last couple years is BLACK although Gears of War could be my next "in the future" purchase once I get a craving for a new FPS.

Sure I do use terms like "casual gamers" to try and define a certain group of ppl that really dont "respect" videogames or think of it as some type of cheesy entertainment when compared to movies or music.

Call me what you want but I would luv to see a videogame crash again (era 1983-84 ) just to weed out all of these so called "gamers".

#1. the Halo kids/fanboys - a scurge on the videogame hobby that I have luved for soo many years. MOST of these ppl are the most closed minded of any gamers even more so than those that call themselves "hardcore" the FPS/HALO fanatics are the ones that ONLY buy the Sports games the GTAs and of course drool over anything that even remotely resembles a HALO type game so that they can hate on it and claim Halo as the savior of videogames as we know it and nothing came before it and nothing will ever exist after it

#2. the HIGH DEF ELITISTS - the type of "gamer" that puts down anything pre Xbox360 simply because its not HD including hating on the Nintendo Wii for said reason.

Ill take a self proclaimed "hardcore" gamer to chat/debate/flamewar or actually play a videogame with ANY DAY than either of the two above catagories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamchris View Post

As far as hardcore gamers go. They seem to be the ones that call me fag, queer, or any other large number of mean names because Im not as good at shooting them. Or because I used a weapon thats included in the game
    In all respect my friend those are what I call HALO KIDS / fanatics and that is about as far away from being a gamer or "hardcore gamer" as it can get.