Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: new forum for collectors of factory sealed games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm about to get a game graded just to see what all the commotion is about. I wonder if it will help my game sell. Either way it won't cost much so I'm not worried.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I'm about to get a game graded just to see what all the commotion is about. I wonder if it will help my game sell. Either way it won't cost much so I'm not worried.
    And indeed I did. Story time kiddies....

So I had a factory sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 for the Nes that I bought a few years ago off of ebay. Once I got it I realized that this game was in immaculate condition. At the time it was my only copy of NG3 so the thought of selling it didn't cross my mind until a few years later when I got a copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

I still didn't want to sell it though but back then I had lost my job and was selling off portions of my collection in order to pay the rent. I sold off quite a few pieces I regret not having anymore but this game wasn't going to be one of them. I decided to list it for a "buy it now" price of $300 with the option to make a best offer. And I got approximately zero offers. So that game did not get sold back in 2008 with the other stuff I sold for rent.

Over the last two years I have relisted the game on and off, even putting it as low as $200 "buy it now" with the best offer option. I listed it as being a 9 out of 10 in condition because it was damn near perfect. Do you want to know how many offers I got for that game over the last two years? Absolutly none. And also during those two years I acquired two more copies of the game(a loose Nes cart and a factory sealed Atari Lynx version). So I really had no reason to keep it. But it was a rare(some would say uncommon) Nes game that was pretty highly sought out by collectors and was in almost perfect condition. So I decided that I wanted to get paid what "I" thought it was worth and thus I decided to send it away to get graded since selling it ungraded didn't work out so well over the last two years.

The whole grading process took about a month(I could have paid less and it would have taken longer but thats an option thats up to each customer) and getting it shipped, graded and returned cost a little more than $50. I wasn't sure what to ask but I knew I wanted more than $300. So I put a "buy it now" price of $1000 with a best offer option. I knew I wasn't going to get $1000 for it but that was just to spark interest and gain traffic to my auction. And it worked.

Within the first day I was getting offers(although they inexplicably came thru PM's instead of the best offer option)I even had a dude offer something and then back out(it was in a pm so there was no penalty from ebay but I blocked his ass so it's all good). On day two I got an offer that was respectable but I wanted alittle more. So for the next day or so we offered each other counter offers until I finally agreed on the price($750).

So I had a rare factory sealed game that I couldn't sell(or even get an offer for) for an entire two year period at a mere $300. But then I pay an extra $50 and that same game sells for more than double of what I originally wanted. Thats what I call justice being served. And it's changed my attitude toward graded games. It was always one of those things that although I didn't do it I also didn't have a problem with people who did it because it wasn't hurting me. But now I'm actually considering getting more of my games graded. I know that I might not be as lucky the next time but considering that the whole upgrade process only cost around $50 then I wouldn't really be losing anything. So now, much like a chic with a phat ass, graded games is a concept that I can firmly get behind.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot to mention the most important point, what'd it grade?!?! VGA 90? If you got $750 for a VGA 85 then my mind has been blown.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    If you got $750 for a VGA 85 then my mind has been blown.
    Like the picture in the finds thread shows, the grade was indeed an 85+ NM. So consider your mind blown. And you didn't even have to pay money for it this time
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you post it on ebay? I couldn't find it on there. Awesome story though. I wish I still had some valuable sealed games because I'd consider doing the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Did you post it on ebay? I couldn't find it on there. Awesome story though. I wish I still had some valuable sealed games because I'd consider doing the same.
    I didn't see it either.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I didn't see it either.
    I'm considering the story BS until I see proof.

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

PM me if you want to trade something for my sealed Persona 3 Collectors Box. I already had the game, but came across a sealed copy recently. I think it's the best in the Shin Megami Series, so maybe some fanboy (or girl) would wanna trade something?
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't see it either.
    Me neither, and I did a few completed searched immediately upon reading his post. Should have caught it if it was sold in the last two weeks. I also hunt on eBay fairly regularly and did not see it either.

But if the sale is true, then yes my mind was indeed blown.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    You won't see a sealed collector opening a copy of FFVII just to play it though.

The ones I wouldn't open, in most cases, I have play copies of. :P
    If you had a sealed copy of FFVII would you open it matey ?

So whats your point ??

Dont really understand what you trying to say to be honest....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love collecting sealed games ... I dont collect them to show off in any means .
    I collect because its fun and a challenge to me .

Its my hobby ... I guess similar reasons of people collecting coins , figurines , stamps , pez or condoms under their bed !!! Whatever it is ... !

Lets say I am a classical retro-videogame collector ; (Example)

I am buying CIB Pal copy of Mario Bros to collect and play it today ... YAY YAY . I love Mario Bros !! The best game ever and will make a great addition in my collection!!

How long would take you to find a mint cib copy?
    A - Lets say 3 mins . Logging into my ebay account and making a quick search.

(Phew , That was challenging collecting indeed)

How long would you play Mario Bros ...?
    A - Few hours ??
    Then I would store the game away and say it is part of my collection . It will look great on my collection !!

Would you play that game again ?
    A - No. I dont think so ... How many times you want me to play the same retrogame ? There is new releases every week !

Whats the point of you buying it in the first place if you only going to play it a few hours ?
    A - Hmmm .... Dunno about that one.

Wouldnt you just get an emulator ?
    A - No . I am true videogame collector . And i want everything mint/complete .

See my point ? ? Why would you want to buy it in the first place ? Show off ? Nice Display ? Or the thrill and fun of collecting ? Whats the difference ?

Try getting a sealed pal mint copy of Mario Bros 1 ;

That is a challenge right there ... !!! How many copies are right now on ebay ?
    But what about finding a copy at a reasonable price ? Even bigger challenge !!

Lets say as an example after a few months Ive got one !
    I did my homework and got one for a fantastic price !!

Now I will always have a Mint sealed copy of Mario Bros that I can admire anytime I want.
    A piece of gaming history on the best condition possible.

I consider this games to be part of our recent history and pieces of Art like any other type of Modern Art.

Thats just me.

No offence to anyone ... But everyone is different. You like collecting opened games .
    Go for it thats Great !! Good on ya !!

I just dont ...

- Rarecube
    Last edited by rarecube; 06-04-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't see it either.
    I'm considering the story BS until I see proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Me neither, and I did a few completed searched immediately upon reading his post. Should have caught it if it was sold in the last two weeks. I also hunt on eBay fairly regularly and did not see it either.

But if the sale is true, then yes my mind was indeed blown.
    How the hell did I miss this thread getting bumped Anyway, here you go fellas: link
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

How the hell did I miss this thread getting bumped Anyway, here you go fellas: link
    Awesone, 1 2 P!

But it kind of makes you wonder how stupid people can be. It never sold for $300, yet it sells for $750 just because some guy determines it's 85% mint? (or 85+NM or whatever)

Trully boggles the mind. They could have had the same game for $300, or $450 less.

Incredible. Although now, it's a tactic to manipulate buyers: find a sealed and minty game for $10, get it slabbed, and watch it sell for over $500! *evil grin*
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm, you didn't even have "NES" in your title >< i think you might have had more views if you added that. i totally missed your listing because of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you actually ship it to Mexico? I hope you at least used EMS shipping, because the Mexican post office is as bad as it gets. Judging from the buyer's recent purchases, he's the richest man in the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Awesone, 1 2 P!

But it kind of makes you wonder how stupid people can be. It never sold for $300, yet it sells for $750 just because some guy determines it's 85% mint? (or 85+NM or whatever)

Trully boggles the mind. They could have had the same game for $300, or $450 less.
    That reminds me of the time I was trying to sell a factory sealed pc copy of Ninja Gaiden years ago. I think I started the auction for $29.99 and it didn't sell. So I relisted it twice and priced it for $19.99. No one bid either of those times either so the following(fourth) week I listed it for $9.99. It ended up selling for $65. I kept thinking to myself how the winner could have gotten it for much cheaper had he been viewing my auctions weeks earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by redxix View Post
    hmm, you didn't even have "NES" in your title >< i think you might have had more views if you added that. i totally missed your listing because of that.
    I didn't even notice that I didn't put "Nes" anywhere besides the description. But ultimately I don't think that matters. While I might have gotten more views, that doesn't mean I would have gotten a better offer. I have had many listings with over 500 views and no offers, so more views doesn't always equal success.

Did you actually ship it to Mexico? I hope you at least used EMS shipping, because the Mexican post office is as bad as it gets. Judging from the buyer's recent purchases, he's the richest man in the country.
    I treat international auctions just like I do domestic auctions. All of them will have delivery confirmation on them and in the case of ones like this--they will also have full insurance. That way I don't have to worry about a buyer in another country telling me his item didn't arrive or that it was damaged during transit.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I treat international auctions just like I do domestic auctions. All of them will have delivery confirmation on them and in the case of ones like this--they will also have full insurance. That way I don't have to worry about a buyer in another country telling me his item didn't arrive or that it was damaged during transit.
    You're still not covered under Paypal, since you need a signature to win a dispute of that price. You're better off covering yourself under the Paypal seller protection than covering yourself with insurance. Filing an international insurance claim is a gigantic pain in the ass and you are definitely not guaranteed your money back. You need to prove that the item was missing/broken by postal error and not stolen/broken by the buyer himself.