Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: new forum for collectors of factory sealed games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OCD? What does it mean?? My english is not the best

Yep, the "real" value is maybe 1-2 cents more than a complete and mint copy. Cellophane is not so expensive.

The "museum-case" is just one of a lot of reasons why people collect factory sealed. It is also difficult to get a mint 100% complete copy in 50 years Maybe much more difficult.
    www.sealedvideogames.net... a new forum about factory sealed games (JAP, US and PAL) !!! Language: english

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see if you have loads of money, buying a sealed copy to open and play. But since the premium is usually so much higher, it is much more financially reasonable to buy a virtually mint 100% complete opened copy.

Anyway, I understand it's an obsession but it is one that really doesn't make much sense to ME. Like I said, do what you gotta do!

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    Sorry but sealed games have absolutely no more "real" value than a 100% complete, mint copy.
    Ebay. Check the prices of sealed FF7, Suikoden 2, and other PSX RPGs. Hell even popular early PS2 games with the white security sticker. Yes, people are willing to pay 2x, 3x, 4x, or even more over retail to get an unopened copy. Thats "real" value.

People who open sealed old-gen games are neurotic. I have one or two sealed games that would lose 50-70 dollars in value if they were opened. Instead of destroying that value for no reason, I own disc only copies of both games I bought for under 10 dollars if I'm in the mood to play them. What am I missing out on? Reading the manuals? Who does that?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that they are worth more money to people, but I am saying there is no real added value (NOT MONETARY).

No, but you should sell them to someone for a shitload, and buy the perfectly mint copy pocketing the 30-100% profit.

Only for the sane though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    I know that they are worth more money to people, but I am saying there is no real added value (NOT MONETARY).

No, but you should sell them to someone for a shitload, and buy the perfectly mint copy pocketing the 30-100% profit.

Only for the sane though.
    What is real added value? Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. A rare coin that's rated gem mint can be worth 100 times more than a mint coin. Where's the real added value? You couldn't tell the difference between the coins without a microscope. Is paying 100 million dollars for a bunch of squiggles because they were painted by Picasso sane? Is paying anything over a dollar for Stadium Events sane? It's just World Class Track Meet with a different title screen.

It's all about basic microeconomic theory. When you have more people demanding something than supplying it the price will rise. Condition can be another qualifer of rarity, hence why a gem mint coin can be worth so much more.

I don't collect games to make money. I've never bought a game thinking I'd sell it when it appreicates. I invest in stocks to make money, I buy games for my personal enjoyment.

Frankly, I don't want to hear about sanity on a board where most of the people aspire to own every video game ever made.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you've proven my point, thankyou!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why he prove your point?
    http://www.sealedgameheaven.com - news about upcoming limited and collectors editions.
    http://forum.sealedgameheaven.com - your resource for factory sealed games and informations.
    http://www.sealedgameauctions.com - 100% free auction platform for video games!

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a pretty good idea, even if it is a little bit limited, niche as you will. But If had a choice of a sealed copy of Chorno Trigger for $499 or a complete mint copy for $100, I think it's a pretty easy choice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to offer my thanks to SammelHammel for tracking me down and showing me this new site. At last, a place I can be taken seriously and that I can be at home with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by -_-Nintendo-_- View Post
    I think it's a pretty good idea, even if it is a little bit limited, niche as you will. But If had a choice of a sealed copy of Chorno Trigger for $499 or a complete mint copy for $100, I think it's a pretty easy choice
    Would a complete/mint copy actually go for $100? That seems pretty high...even if SNES game boxes are hard as heck to find in decent condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

100 Dollar would be a very good price for a mint and complete CT

In Germany you get 100 Euro....
    www.sealedvideogames.net... a new forum about factory sealed games (JAP, US and PAL) !!! Language: english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a mint and perfect copy will go up to 150$ !
    http://www.sealedgameheaven.com - news about upcoming limited and collectors editions.
    http://forum.sealedgameheaven.com - your resource for factory sealed games and informations.
    http://www.sealedgameauctions.com - 100% free auction platform for video games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I just bought a complete and mint copy of Chrono Trigger WITH strategy guide for $60 dollars at the flea market back in spring. I only buy it for the guide but he is not split them up. I then sell the cartridge for $42 as I already had the game.

In other things,
    I buy Exile Wicked Phenomenon seal for $88 and then when I receive the game, I open it up! I play it one time but I plan to play it through after I finish my game of Exile.

I cannot understand seal games? I cannot understand collecting EVERY Genesis game-too many maddon games. I cannot understand collecting stamps. But it is your money and time so as you do.

Digital Press is bad influence - I was try to get EVERY Turbo Grafx game (only 1 maddon game) I am close - got every CD game and most every Hucard but I take a break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If people could spread the word, then that would be great, regardless of whether or not you agree with it. I'm sure everyone knows someone who is interested in this obscure hobby, and I know there is a large community here on DP that would perhaps be interested.

Plus, it would help cut down on the amount of sealed game discussions which are posted on this and other boards, as the discussions would be isolated to just people who wish to discuss these things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    If people could spread the word, then that would be great, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.
    I'd have to agree if it means that there's more awareness of shady reseal seller tactics. I don't believe in security through obscurity, and the idea that counterfeiting and reseals will go away if we stop talking about them is dumb.

That said, I don't go for sealed games anyway, so the whole issue seems kinda moot to me. Maybe when somebody opens a forum for discussion of hard-to-find inserts and the like...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I'd have to agree if it means that there's more awareness of shady reseal seller tactics. I don't believe in security through obscurity, and the idea that counterfeiting and reseals will go away if we stop talking about them is dumb.

That said, I don't go for sealed games anyway, so the whole issue seems kinda moot to me. Maybe when somebody opens a forum for discussion of hard-to-find inserts and the like...
    That's a positive attitude! I like that.

It's not everybody's cup of tea though. Each to their own opinions I guess. Some people will blatently go out of their way to critisise though, which is where most of the arguments and flaming comes from when you mention such collecting habits on a general gaming forum such as this. I know from experience, as i've taken part in many a discussion revolving around sealed games collecting on here. There will always be a small minority of people who will be against it, as if it were some kind of taboo subjecct or something.

For those that it does concern though, it's a nice place to feel at home without the worries that there will be some people there to diss you or to flame you for your chosen collecting habits. Plus it's nice to be in an environment where everybody shares the same passion.

We are not alone...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you ever get your full sealed PAL DC collection then?
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Wise man from vbendah once qwoted: "Videogames were meant to be collected, not played."
    i think the GACman is tooting his own horn!

[22:29] <Perkar> !quote not played
    [22:29] <katamari> Quote: <GrandAmCh> Video games were made to be collected not played.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel View Post
    Did you ever get your full sealed PAL DC collection then?
    Not as yet. I'm still after quite a few titles. Problem is, lately there seems to have sprung up a whole new generation of Dreamcast collector's whom i've inspired, and there also seems to be less supply than thre once was. Luckily, the rarer and more expensive titles are already under my belt, so at least I have that to be thankful for.

Believe it or not, it's actually the more common titles I am still chasing. But over the last few years I have become more "Selective" over condition and regional variations. Ie, only buying -50's or -05's opposed to any old PAL copy which springs up, which I may have been more naive about when first starting my quest

At the moment I have taken a short break from the Dreamcast collecting to focus on catching up with newer consoles such as the X360 and DS games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A lot of new user's sealed collections have since been added, and a host of new guides are on their way soon. Anyone who is the slightest bit curious, feel free to take a look