Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65nm chips in production, 45nm chips coming soon (360)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post

Interesting. Would drilling some holes into the top of the X360 case help deal with this? Or even cutting a chunk out of the top and placing a grille in it to give the mobo some additional air?
    I can't say i recommend it, there's a greater chance of doing harm then good. In all honesty i'd say to leave it alone and send it back to microsoft if it breaks.

Just for the record, i bought my 3rd 360 yesterday. I'm not exactly loosing any sleep over the reliability. Personally i'm recomending mid-august as the best time for anyone who's looking to pick up a system.

The 360 can sink or float on it's own merits, it's just that knowing what I know about the system it kinda sucks that MS hasn't made significant changes yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Seriously, these whole "I'll just wait for the good one." people don't make any sense to me.

You have a three year warranty for your unit. If you have ANY issues, you get a new one. And if you have to wait two weeks for a new one how is that worse than not playing any new 360 games for two bloody years?
    Actually, from what I have read, the warranty is very specific to the RROD problem. Additionally, with stories of people having to replace the console often (and with their shoddy customer service), I currently have no desire to drop ~$400 on one. If your console needs to be sent in, the chances are likely that you will simply receive a refurbished unit that simply has bandaid heatsinks added on.

Personally, I would rather wait until they properly develop the console and test it. Why would I drop so much money on what is ~40% likely to fail? If this new MOBO design and chipset solves the problem, I will consider buying one. For the time being, I am happy to avoid the hassle while investing my money elsewhere.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    The 360 can sink or float on it's own merits, it's just that knowing what I know about the system it kinda sucks that MS hasn't made significant changes yet.
    It's frustrating to me as well. I certainly would have purchased the system by now if they had worked out most of the problems. Personally, I place value in having reliable consoles/computers. I refuse to be an early adopter when new technology comes out -- there are always problems that need to be fixed. The PS2 launch, the Xbox Thompson drives, etc. What is so disappointing is that MS has taken such a piss poor approach to fixing their problems.

I like being able to play my Sega Saturn now, despite it being 12 years old. I realize that the moving parts (cd drive, lens) will eventually go, but such things can typically be repaired. As of now, however, the 360 clearly has some fatal design flaws that will limit its useful life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze61 View Post
    Actually, from what I have read, the warranty is very specific to the RROD problem. Additionally, with stories of people having to replace the console often (and with their shoddy customer service), I currently have no desire to drop ~$400 on one. If your console needs to be sent in, the chances are likely that you will simply receive a refurbished unit that simply has bandaid heatsinks added on.

Personally, I would rather wait until they properly develop the console and test it. Why would I drop so much money on what is ~40% likely to fail? If this new MOBO design and chipset solves the problem, I will consider buying one. For the time being, I am happy to avoid the hassle while investing my money elsewhere.
    I see the failure rates and I think back to issues at launch and near paranoia about the power supplies. Consoles are now computers in compact chassis (what the hell is the proper pluralization of that word?) and should be treated as such. My 360 sits on an open glass shelf on the bottom of my TV stand with 6 inches to either side, 6 open on top and nothing behind. The power supply sits on hardwood floor behind with a bunch of cables... and space around it to allow for heat.

I think a lot of issues may be attributable to users not affording the console any space or respect based on the heat it produces. I mean hell, I still have some home user clients who run their PCs in enclosed desks - people don't respect the heat!

Cooler chips will help, but for crying out loud - take care of the thing. There are fans for a reason!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze61 View Post
    Actually, from what I have read, the warranty is very specific to the RROD problem.
    The "RROD problem" covers every problem. The 3 red rings indicate a whole host of errors with the 360, not just overheating. If anything goes wrong with the system, MS will replace it (or parts of it), end of story.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldnt exactly say soon when it comes to 45nm chips. They are comming out in late 2008, early 2009.

"As 65nm just started production in the last two quarters, you would expect 45nm to [begin production] about 18 months from that timeframe," said the President of Microsoft manufacturing partner, Charted Semiconductor. That means production on those new even smaller and even cooler chips won't begin until late 2008, early 2009.
    But its good that the 65nm chips are comming Hopefully the consoles wont get so hot then.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm waiting and that's that. Is it too much to ask that consoles last for over a decade, like so many others I own have? Perhaps it has become unreasonable in light of recent offerings. The original run PS1/2's were a shitty experience for me that I won't soon forget. I don't have to "get in the pool". I'll be in the sauna with a towel over my lap until shit gets straight. Looks like I'll be taking a dip sometime in 2010.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-02-2007 at 08:16 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Your loss, man. We'll go have fun without you