Thread: Boxes that important?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boxes that important?

Hello, first post here. Currently in the state of "Should I collect, or game". I was hoping to get some feedback on classic boxes. Are they that important? I tried aiming for them, but for one, there really difficult to find. Maybe it will be easier at this site. Secondly, they look so bad. If I take bunch of GBA Boxes, and line them up, they look bad, because, first, there not glossy like the other games I have (PS2, GC), and the little top, every box has the tops somewhat sticking out. If that made sense...

So what should I do? Hope I didnt post this in the wrong section :/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tarheelia

I to am looking into boxes. For me though it's just the "having it" side of things. Now sure if the box doesn't look like it's in condition I don't want it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having it? Thats not for me, its gotta look good too

I dont get the point of buying it, and then storing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just cause you like to get the boxes doesn't mean you don't play them. I like getting the boxes, but for me, it is nice, not a requirement to buy it, for the game to have the box.
    Lurking since '05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

Quote Originally Posted by Riyonuk View Post
    Hello, first post here. Currently in the state of "Should I collect, or game". I was hoping to get some feedback on classic boxes. Are they that important? I tried aiming for them, but for one, there really difficult to find. Maybe it will be easier at this site. Secondly, they look so bad. If I take bunch of GBA Boxes, and line them up, they look bad, because, first, there not glossy like the other games I have (PS2, GC), and the little top, every box has the tops somewhat sticking out. If that made sense...

So what should I do? Hope I didnt post this in the wrong section :/
    Until you decide whether you "should collect or game" no one on the forums will be able to help you. Not being rude, but you're thread title is "Boxes that important?" If you are asking a question like that, then I would say that you probably won't find use in having the boxes. Just my 2 cents & welcome to Digitalpress!
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, I'll try and help out. I game AND collect. But I only collect complete games: cart, box & instructions. The reason for me is that I like the completeness. I think boxes look sweet stacked on the shelf. Sure, they aren't glossy, and sure, sometimes they aren't perfectly uniform. Heck, they're boxes, not art glass. I dunno, people here do it both ways. Really it is just a matter of personal preference. The only draw back is that collecting w/ boxes is quite a bit more expensive, but it is worth it to me!

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I'm not critical on boxes. If it's a cheap title and I don't have it, I could care less about the box. However, if down the road I find a cheap copy of the same game with a box, I'll probably snag it.

It's far easier to organize boxed titles, especially when you're OCD like me and things need to be alphabatized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer boxed/cib games over loose games, but if I find a game that is loose that I want I'll still buy it (unless its "current" gen, e.g. PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, whatever, I feel there is no reason for those games to be loose). IMO Boxes just display better too, as this:

looks cooler than this:

(forgive my NES-genesis analogy here, I'm too lazy to take a new picture of my boxed genny games. My point is still comes across the same this way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I'm also in the "must have complete copies group". The exceptions for me are NES, Super Famicom, and Nintendo 64.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SirCyan

I'm a completionist, so I prefer to have the box, manual, and game all in its original packaging. I even go for sealed stuff, if and when I can find it. I don't open my sealed games, since it's pretty easy to obtain a ROM for the game if I want to play it.

On the other hand, if I'm missing a game, and I find it loose, I'll pick that up as well. I figure it's better to complete some of my goals (such as 'obtain all R1 NES games') than to be a stickler for the box and manual.

-RS.
    My: Collection | DP Feedback | eBay Feedback | FS/FT Thread
    RoadRunner X BBS; oldschool dialup BBS!
    Web: http://rrx.ca, Telnet: telnet://rrx.ca.
    Amateur Radio Callsign: VA6RRX

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tarheelia

I'll go for both if I have to. Now that I know I can get my hands on the plastic clamshell cases...I'm not a big stickler on game boxes. However if I can get them...I'll take them. I'll just put them in storage to preserve them from wear.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you are a collector, boxes are essential

as a gamer it doesn't matter, you just buy what you like and play it

I almost always only buy games that I intend to play and keep, so I always look for the box + manual. I don't really care about the manual since I rarely need it, but usually if it comes with the box then it comes with the manual.

I could see not going for boxes if you are trying to do something like a complete NES collection, but I never have more than 50 games I want for a given system so it isn't too hard to buy what I want in complete form.

As for systems/accessories, I couldn't care less about the boxes. In fact, with only a few exceptions, I would prefer NOT to have the box taking up space. Of course, I keep the boxes for stuff I buy new in case I ever decide to sell the system. Portable systems are ok because the box is so small you can easily store it. If the box has a good design (Famicom Disk System for example), then I might take it if I have an immediate choice.
    Last edited by Family Computer; 08-06-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am absolutely adamant about having complete copies for Genesis and GBA games. Ditto for disc based games.

NES, SNES, N64 not so much.