Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CGE 2008 - What would you like to see?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

- I second the idea of a sit-down area where people can congregate together to do linked handheld gaming, chat, etc. I saw a few people at 2K7 also playing assorted collectible card games at booths. A sitting area would have been conducive to this as well. Nothing fancy needed. Just set up an area like they had at CGE's past at the Plaza consisting of round tables and chairs.

- (EDIT - Looks like John Hardie already addressed catering, but I'll let my comments stand) Although the Riv had very good options for food, the trade-off was that one had to hike from the show to all the way across the convention facilities and the hotel to get to the food court and restaurants. Would it be possible to get a catering option inside the CGE area? Again, I'm thinking of the Plaza, where they would set up that little area where attendees could buy inexpensive and convenient fare like hot dogs, nachos, sodas (gamers are not necessarily picky eaters) without having to leave the show. A similar setup for CGE2K8 would be nice, assuming it's not too cost prohibitive.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 08-06-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    A homebrewers keynote would be a real fascinating listen as well. Homebrewed games, adaptors, accessories, and portable consoles all come to mind.
    QFT. I'm honestly not really big on the keynotes personally, but there are usually a few that comes to mind that when I hear them I get excited. The T&T keynote was fun, and one starring homebrew developers would be absolutely cool. It'd be a bit like talking to the great developers we've sat in on in the past, AS they're developing new games.

Video game Jeopardy!, you say? I'm THERE... probably to humiliate myself, but I'm still there. ^_^

And PDF, I might not be Flack or Sniderman, but I'd help out with something like that... I love to heckle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    - Again, I'm thinking of the Plaza, where they would set up that little area where attendees could buy inexpensive and convenient fare like hot dogs, nachos, sodas (gamers are not necessarily picky eaters) without having to leave the show. A similar setup for CGE2K8 would be nice, assuming it's not too cost prohibitive.
    I have to second and third this one here.

Even if this the facility provided the food in the main area, I do know there is the ability to arrange for the specific restaraunts to bring items to the floor. You just have to make it worth their while to do so.

I hate to say this, maybe a daquiri/beer stand at the next show. We may loose John before the auction starts though.
    - v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's have a handheld tournament next time. Both old and new.

If we can get the new platforms (Sony, Nintendo,etc) to donate retroware (Atari Intellivison) mores the better for the gaming being in the style of the show. But either way more tournament action next time.
    - v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Jeopardy game. That was fun a few years ago.

How about a Deal or No Deal. I wanna see someone give away a suitcase with a really rare game over one with an ET or Combat cart.

How about a Lets make a deal. Guess the value of a game (Digital Press guides used as the reference of course).

How about a Raffle? Since I know you guys came up a little short this year all proceeds could go to pay for CGE.

Maybe a cosplay runway show. Prizes for best dressed, most obscure character, sexiest (no middle age fat men please), Best "Worst" Character.

Little excursions like this are fun to participate and watch.

I liked the idea of a homebrew or prototype keynotes.

My two cents on the Swap:
    I could see how vendors were threatened by this years swap. Every year you have offered I have taken a table for 1 hour. I sell carts for $1-$3 and only do it because my 9 year old daughter and 14 year old son enjoy it so much. I made about $40 before I paid my $5 fee this year which I give them to split. IMHO if you want to keep the little guy in the swap room but force the bigger dealers to the vendor room put a time limit on it. $15 and hour would probably knock me out from selling as I do it for fun not profit. Finally the
    Swap room needs a sign up sheet for those waiting for a table.

I also want to point out that like every year I DID take trades.

4 Vic-20 carts for 1 Apple II Gremlins

1 Space Panic Colecovision for A Cardboard Tank

1 Odyssey II Conquest of the World (Missing two game pieces) for a Mini Remote control Car

3 TI-99 4/a Carts (Dont have a clue of which ones) for a Diet Coke (I was thirsty).
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keynotes – More, More, More that is all I can say. This was my first year, and I loved the keynotes. I know for some they may have heard it all before, but I to see and hear the masters speak, its a priceless experience. Mixing it up is a great idea, and bringing in more people, and panels would be fantastic.

Workshops – I think that a couple workshops would work wonders for CGE. Maybe a, how do I get into _______. This could be anything from gaming journalism to homebrewing. I am sure there are lots of show goers that would donate their time, and I bet most people would be interested.

About the Swap Meet room, I understand that some vendors may feel a little sore about this issue. But I think if used properly the Swap Meet fills a void for show goers. For me I brought a couple things from home, and sold almost everything. I was in there less than 45 minutes, and made enough money to spend on other things at the show. I know someone in this thread mentioned something about table space, and I think that might be the best way to go with this, and kick them out when their hour is up.

This year was my first year attending CGE, and I have to say I had a blast. Easily the best convention I have ever had the pleasure of attending.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    About the Swap Meet room, I understand that some vendors may feel a little sore about this issue. But I think if used properly the Swap Meet fills a void for show goers. For me I brought a couple things from home, and sold almost everything. I was in there less than 45 minutes, and made enough money to spend on other things at the show.
    Thanks for the feedback!

YOU are the type of person the swap meet was created for - in, out in an hour, got your goods out there in a busy environment and back to the show you go. We're seriously going to work on keeping people from camping out in that room, one way or another.

Glad you enjoyed the show. We're already brainstorming on 2k8, this is the first time in CGE history the organizing team hasn't slipped into hibernation for a few months after the show

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wild-ass panel idea: Tron reunion. Seriously. Boxleitner, Bridges, and...uh ...the guy who played Ram. And Steve Lisberger, the writer/director. The actress who played Yori has done PhillyClassic before, so why not?

The worst they can do is say "What? No! Did that Earl guy put you up to this?"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils View Post
    Wild-ass panel idea: Tron reunion. Seriously. Boxleitner, Bridges, and...uh ...the guy who played Ram. And Steve Lisberger, the writer/director. The actress who played Yori has done PhillyClassic before, so why not?

The worst they can do is say "What? No! Did that Earl guy put you up to this?"
    I happen to have the e-mail addy of the person who set that up for philly classic. the thing is they might want $$$$ to do it unless you can talk them to do it for free. (he contacted me about my show,but at the time which was this year,I wasn't doing it this year)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy that watches the Swap Room can also take in items for the auction so people can see them, that would kill two birds with one stone....

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That gets a thumbs up from me... I met Cindy at last year's San Diego Comicon and it would be great to somehow get everyone together for a panel and talk. Highly unlikely but you can dream

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

CINDY MORGAN = hot chick from "Caddy Shack" movie. I good with that!

Looks like she does do conventions, golf events and fundraisers. She is in business with some people who sell Caddy Shack merchandise, like "Bushwood" hats, golf balls etc.
    http://www.caddyshackevents.com/
    Last edited by MachineGex; 08-23-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't expect to see David Warner show up unless he stows away in Mayhem's luggage. He's based out of the UK now and is all but retired, and at any rate, even something like 10 years ago, it was my understanding that one of the best ways to get him to stand up and walk out of an interview was to mention Tron.

And tell them they can charge for autographs. They might be a little more inclined to show up.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils View Post
    ...it was my understanding that one of the best ways to get [David Warner] to stand up and walk out of an interview was to mention Tron.
    Hell, then don't mention Freakazoid.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

There have been alot of great recommendations so far. I just came back from PAX, which was huge, and awsome(30,000 attendees awsome). I saw alot of things that made the show AWSOME, and thought I would add my additional two cents about what makes any game convention awsome. These additional comments are made to make the show Better(which I will be attending and spending money on).

1. Diversity. Classic gaming expo prides itself on being "the big show of the US." CGE needs to do a much better job at recruiting a wider audience. I just came from a show of thousands of gamers that probably would attend CGE, but think that the show just covers mosly "Atari generation stuff". I am 31, and feel that there are generations younger than me that would come to a show that showcased Snes, Genesis, N64, PSX and more. Sure, our show had some pockets of stuff, but overall the nature of the show is "Atari and Atari related classics".

I think that a detailed survey is in order on what systems people collect. This survey could be generated at survey monkey or another survey site, and could be posted at this site as well as OTHER BIGGER GAME FORUMS. Penny Arcade, 1up.com, C64.com, etc.etc. on what systems and products could be sold to make CGE a better experience, as well as why people would not want to come to the annual show.

2. Merge. I do think that a possibility about CGE being a bigger event is to possibly merge it with a large game event that is happening at the same time.
    In this day and age of events, merging with another large game event(Comic.con, California Extreme, etc) might not be a bad idea.

3. Market. I agree with possibly getting a coroportate sponsor to help fund the show, in return for free advertising. If these game companies throw down alot for advertising, then I bet one of them would throw down a little in extange for their name being plastered everywhere. I bet you could get a buyer or two if you tried. Capcom, SNK playmore, Konami, Midway, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, hell why not? If there is a little new gaming with the old, it just adds to the diversity, not to mention generates more attendees.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some very interesting points swlovinist. I don't agree with merging with a larger show though, once that happens the show will lose its laid back nature and would prob take part of the fun out of it at least for me. I agree there should be a little bit more diveristy at the show, but there was plenty to keep me happy. I went to meet people more than find stuff, but finding stuff is a great bonus.

Having a corporate sponsor would be great, but they might be to demanding on the CGE staff and expect to much. Then they wouldn't enjoy the show either and what is the point then. But if a sponsor could be found that just wanted to setup a booth and have some demos playable it might help the guys out tremendously. Just my 2 cents.
    ~~NGD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Bottom line: There are alot of retrogamers younger than the 30s and 40 year olds I saw walking around at the CGE show. The truth of the matter is that Nintendo and beyond collectors far superceed the atari collectors, mostly due to Nintendo the company still being around, and still making great products.

Why not tap into that market more? There are many retrogamers are far beyond collecting atari, the atari days, and anything early 80s. Just like how gaming has evolved, so does retrogaming. Either we change with the times or get stuck doing the same thing and watch the attendance stay flat(something I have noticed, not counting the drop I saw in 2005)

I was thinking of just a bigtime vendor showing up at the show, not a coroportate running the show. The Midway booth a couple a years back was a perfect example. Something that fits the theme of retrogaming, but possibly being a product for a current system. I know that I have rambled, something that I am good at.

I just keep thinking that the some of the stubbornness of changing(comes with getting older) is getting in the way of growth.

Yet another recommendation: One thing at PAX that impressed me that CGE could copy would be a portable lounge with big pillows to just hang out at. I nearly saw thousands of DS gamers that were utilizing these big pillow things. What a great idea, that could be used for portable gamers....something of a market that his HUGE.
    Last edited by swlovinist; 08-26-2007 at 03:02 PM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

merging with another show,is bad idea for CGE.
    However, why not have like what MGC have been doing
    which having a smaller show included (Jagfest was part of CGE 2003,I would like to see that make a return) and maybe add a dreamcon for dremcast games.
    CGE did have section at E3 and they did say that wasn't worth it.
    the portable lounge is a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Having CGE being part of another classic convention or merging with another classic game convention is a good idea. I vote for one that centers around a newer successful system from the neo-classic period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

You know, a panel about video game comics couldn't be half bad. I don't know how difficult to be to get them, but the Penny Arcade guys certainly would fit that bill-as well as being a vendor in their own right. Probably increase attendance to get someone as high profile as those two.

I can't agree with CGE merging with another convention, simply because it would take away the autonomy of the organizers. Once you change that dynamic, it changes the whole show.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives