Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Guitar Hero glitch makes leaderboards, achievements meaningless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ridiculous Guitar Hero glitch makes leaderboards, achievements meaningless

Check out what one of the posters over at GameFAQs has discovered.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=37251196

Apparently this is for real, as many people there and at the Score Hero forums have been able to pull this off. This is going to kill the online leaderboards for this game.

If you don't want to read the whole GF topic, and I don't blame you for not wanting to, let me summarize. You go to the practice mode and pick any section(s) of any song. Just as your practice session is about to end, right before the results screen comes up, you pull out your controller cord. The "you're rocking too hard" screen will pop up. When you plug your controller back in, if you did it right, the fretboard will continue to scroll with no notes. You then press start and exit out of practice. Go to career and pick any song you want. No matter what song you pick, the song you picked in practice is what will play. The computer will play the whole song, except for the actual sections you picked in practice. That is all you have to play. It'll even play at whatever speed you chose.

Once the song is over, you will get 100%. If you pick song sections that allow you to play at least around 50-60 notes, you'll also get five stars. This is enough to allow anyone to get the achievements for 5*ing all expert songs and beating Jordan. If someone wanted to take the time, they could also set the glitch up to play something big like, say, X-Stream, the whole song, on whatever speed they felt comfortable with, and play that over something where you wouldn't normally be able to score over 400k, like Trogdor. Then, guess what? You've got over 400k on Trogdor, and every other song you want to do this with. This blows the leaderboards' credibility to shreds.

Worse part is, the apparently works with both the 360 and PS2 versions of GHII and also GH: Encore. Someone at Harmonix fell asleep at the wheel for this one, and it looks like all of us who worked our butts off to get good scores are gonna be the ones who pay. I feel especially sorry for anyone who legitimately got the Jordan achievement. I can't even come close to that one, and it's a real mark of how good a player you are to get it. Now any old tool can cheat and get it.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Well that sucks. Let's hope an online update will fix this on the 360 version, and future presses of the game will not have this glitch.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad i'm not interested in leaderboards coz that would really piss me off. What a silly glitch!

The joy in GH is pulling off a difficult song yourself, so it doesn't decrease my enjoyment, but for those who like to compete against others I can see how it would.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see a problem with doing it to get the achievements, but doing it to get on the leaderboards is stupid.

Does the CPU activate star power for you, or no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Now the kick the bucket achievement is worthless and I can't prove that my rival didn't get it by cheating.. Maybe he won't hear about the glitch, And hopefully they'll patch it up within a week.
    Last edited by Slate; 08-06-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign View Post
    I don't see a problem with doing it to get the achievements, but doing it to get on the leaderboards is stupid.

Does the CPU activate star power for you, or no?
    No, there is no star power when you use this glitch, from what I've read.

But how can you say it's okay to use this to get achievements, but not to up your score? It's okay to cheat one way, but not another? People work really hard sometimes to get those 5-star and Buckethead achievements! Why should any loser who wants to cheat be able to get them without earning them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I tried this glitch using my offline profile, And it's true that you can get the kick the bucket achievement using it, Wich stinks. But you can't use star power with the glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    But how can you say it's okay to use this to get achievements, but not to up your score? It's okay to cheat one way, but not another? People work VERY hard to get those 5-star and Buckethead achievements!
    When I got really good at guitar hero, I thought that if I got every single player achievement it would be impressive.... But now they are worthless, All thanks to some damn glitch. But at least we can tell if some stupid person is cheating or not... IE a unattainable score in Drink up or a score too low for jordan on expert.

I think the leaderboards are safe enough because we can ban cheaters. They will be removed from the leaderboards if they are banned, Right?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see how this will have much of an effect on the leaderboards. Since all they track are high scores, and this glitch will almost always ensure extremely low scores, how will it affect them?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat View Post
    I don't see how this will have much of an effect on the leaderboards. Since all they track are high scores, and this glitch will almost always ensure extremely low scores, how will it affect them?
    Imagine having the fastest, hardest song in the game played a speed four times slower than normal. And doing a full combo. That's how the leaderboards are fucked. The score won't have the star power multiplier, but it will still be high enough to affect certain folks.

As an example, if I'm understanding this correctly, the game will let you play the parts you didn't want to practice. So if you only do the intro of a song (like Freebird) in practice, you'll get to play the rest of the song in Career Mode without problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it will only be a problem for people who seriously abuse it. Considering that most scores will be way too low, they won't break any major records. All I know is that I'm going to 5 star Jordan tomorrow and never tell my brother my secret

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

MS will take care of it, I'm sure. They'll check the leaderboards, no doubt about that.

I personally don't see too much of a problem exploiting glitches, but to each their own, I suppose. Looks like if I'm ever going to play GHII on my 360, I'll have to leave it unplugged from the intarweb if I want all the achievements.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    I think it will only be a problem for people who seriously abuse it. Considering that most scores will be way too low, they won't break any major records. All I know is that I'm going to 5 star Jordan tomorrow and never tell my brother my secret
    It's going to bite you back when someone asks you to show them how good you are.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

everyone whos pissed that it broke your "achievements": too bad

haha.

what happened to playing games cause you enjoy it, i hate this prove your better than X shit. (for the record, i dont own, or ever played guitar hero. id rather play a real guitar... GH in my view is remedial)
    Last edited by Poofta!; 08-11-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign View Post
    I don't see a problem with doing it to get the achievements
    If you didn't actually achieve the achievement, it is empty and worthless. How can you be proud of something you never actually did?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    everyone whos pissed that it broke your "achievements": fuck you.

haha.

what happened to playing games cause you enjoy it, i hate this prove your better than X shit. (for the record, i dont own, or ever played guitar hero. id rather play a real guitar... GH in my view is remedial)
    No, fuck you.
    Achievements are a part of all games. Ever bragged to a friend about beating Castlevania without continuing? That's an achievement. Microsoft just put a point value on them in 360 games.

Now imagine you did beat Castlevania without continuing, and some little twerp guy who used a Game Genie to do the same thing popped up every time you happen to mention it and said, "Pfft, I did that too..." Don't you think that'd get annoying?

And if you don't care about Guitar Hero, why even come into this thread, spouting your mouth off? Beat it, go find something constructive to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't care about achievements, but then again, I'm not one to care about my e-peen. I find it baffling and hilarious when people buy games they wouldn't normally play just to rack up "points". If you get 5 stars on the hardest song through legit means it shouldn't matter if it shows up on some list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have a point there. I went ahead and told him since he gave me Ys II just for me to tell him how I did it. But it's really not that big of a deal. I did the Jordan thing, and my score was all of a glorious 6000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see how this would bother some people, but don't get too worked up because of a loophole in some online pissing contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    No, fuck you.
    Achievements are a part of all games. Ever bragged to a friend about beating Castlevania without continuing? That's an achievement. Microsoft just put a point value on them in 360 games.

Now imagine you did beat Castlevania without continuing, and some little twerp guy who used a Game Genie to do the same thing popped up every time you happen to mention it and said, "Pfft, I did that too..." Don't you think that'd get annoying?

And if you don't care about Guitar Hero, why even come into this thread, spouting your mouth off? Beat it, go find something constructive to do.
    Honestly I think this glitch is a great thing, plus I don't think achievements are that big of a deal, I probaly will use this to get the achievements because I don't care about them. but It's really preference though,

I don't agree with using it on Leaderboards but I think it's good for achievements.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is pretty damn disappointing. I've been working at 5 starring my last 5 songs on expert and have gotten really good at Jordan and am almost able to make it through solo c which keeps killing me, but OH WELL, what's the point now?

I'm still gonna work at it legit, not gonna cheat after coming so far...