Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who owns more than 550 different NES games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who owns more than 550 different NES games!

Hello all, just wondering how many of us collectors here have 550 or more different NES games since i recently passed that mark myself i wondered.

Let me know!
    Thanks
    Rarity guide addict. ASK For TRADES
    650+ different NES carts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Before I launch into my (hopefully well-natured in appearance, as it's meant to be) rant, I just wanna say that I'm not accusing anybody here of being "a part of the problem," and I know you didn't ask for this reply. I don't mean to take this conversation off-course, so I will start by saying that I do not have a complete NES collection - I do not even have a complete collection of all the NES games I think it would be worthwhile for me to have, although I work on it as quickly as possible. However, I just thought this other stuff was worth sayin' so I up and did it.

What do I think about collecting?

Who gives a flying mother(insert Shaft soundclip here)? Seriously, every time I turn around there's somebody selling off their whole game collection, and I think even I have way too many games.

At worst, this sort of attitude that collecting is an end onto itself threatens to drive up prices games by ensuring that there are more people going after a set number of games (as I have sold things before and even recently attempted to exploit a ridiculous price peak some months ago on a X68000 game, that may sound hypocritical, and indeed I do believe one has no moral obligation not to take advantage of favorable pricing - so you're free to take as you like, but regardless I think I do make a point about the market; for my part I do my best not to get into bidding wars or buy items at high prices). At best, it's a worthless sort of circle-jerk where you have winners and losers based on who has the biggest wallet, instead of playing and growing together as friends with shared interests.

Sorry if that looks hostile, but I think the myth that "collecting NES is cool" and that is all you need to do should be blown up a little, mainly because it just seems wrong to view video games (which are about fun) as being exactly like coins or anything else you can only look at or toss about (yes, I collect coins a bit as well). Just as collecting is nerdy needs to be blown up - but here I really question the need of most people to have a complete collection. Obviously, there are some people who would make good use out of a complete NES collection - but not most people.

Let me put it this way - if you can't justify having a complete set of NES ROMz, you should think twice about going on a collecting spree.

I also should put it this way: There's really nothing wrong with collecting anything that catches your fancy, even if it's just cover art or something. However, indiscriminate collecting (i.e. all NES games) seems a bit wrong. NES games are not like coins or stamps.

I don't know. I'm half-hoping somebody can come out and prove me to be a twat here, because I'm halfway getting that feeling. Regardless, what's the point of having all NES games (besides getting your foot in the door on what will ultimately become another hedge against inflation, like any other collectable item)?
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 08-10-2007 at 06:28 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Not sure how to follow that...

I have more than 550 NES games. Most of the remaining are a bit more expensive.

LifeGame - many people around here have more than 550 NES games; some even have them complete in box with manual. The first 500 NES games are easy-ish to come by. We're at the tough (or expensive) part of the collection.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I own more than 550 NES & Famicom games. I don't come to 550 with only NES-games though.

BTW, I don't think collecting ever has any kind of real purpose.
    Last edited by Ruudos; 08-10-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

For the record, I have approx. 257 games for the NES. That's after a huge sell-off, where I'm certain I had more than 550 games. (Do keep in mind that this was close to 10 years ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Before I launch into my (hopefully well-natured in appearance, as it's meant to be) rant, I just wanna say that I'm not accusing anybody here of being "a part of the problem," and I know you didn't ask for this reply. I don't mean to take this conversation off-course, so I will start by saying that I do not have a complete NES collection - I do not even have a complete collection of all the NES games I think it would be worthwhile for me to have, although I work on it as quickly as possible. However, I just thought this other stuff was worth sayin' so I up and did it.

What do I think about collecting?

Who gives a flying mother(insert Shaft soundclip here)? Seriously, every time I turn around there's somebody selling off their whole game collection, and I think even I have way too many games.

At worst, this sort of attitude that collecting is an end onto itself threatens to drive up prices games by ensuring that there are more people going after a set number of games (as I have sold things before and even recently attempted to exploit a ridiculous price peak some months ago on a X68000 game, that may sound hypocritical, and indeed I do believe one has no moral obligation not to take advantage of favorable pricing - so you're free to take as you like, but regardless I think I do make a point about the market; for my part I do my best not to get into bidding wars or buy items at high prices). At best, it's a worthless sort of circle-jerk where you have winners and losers based on who has the biggest wallet, instead of playing and growing together as friends with shared interests.

Sorry if that looks hostile, but I think the myth that "collecting NES is cool" and that is all you need to do should be blown up a little, mainly because it just seems wrong to view video games (which are about fun) as being exactly like coins or anything else you can only look at or toss about (yes, I collect coins a bit as well). Just as collecting is nerdy needs to be blown up - but here I really question the need of most people to have a complete collection. Obviously, there are some people who would make good use out of a complete NES collection - but not most people.

Let me put it this way - if you can't justify having a complete set of NES ROMz, you should think twice about going on a collecting spree.

I also should put it this way: There's really nothing wrong with collecting anything that catches your fancy, even if it's just cover art or something. However, indiscriminate collecting (i.e. all NES games) seems a bit wrong. NES games are not like coins or stamps.

I don't know. I'm half-hoping somebody can come out and prove me to be a twat here, because I'm halfway getting that feeling. Regardless, what's the point of having all NES games (besides getting your foot in the door on what will ultimately become another hedge against inflation, like any other collectable item)?
    Ed...I perfectly understand where you are coming from with your thoughts. You look at video games as more than just another collectible. But the fact of the matter is, ANYTHING can be collectible if the collector deems it so. And no one has the right to tell a person that what their thoughts are are 'incorrect'. (I use that term loosely since no one is actually deeming that, it's just that I feel people would construe those comments as such). I understand that some might be put off by an influx of new collectors that don't share the same level of passion as themselves, but that shouldn't make anyone less entitled to do something they enjoy. It comes off as sounding elitist, and that's a poor reflection of one's character.

There are no set guidelines as to what a person's intentions have to be before they are given the 'blessing' of collecting anything, including a complete NES set. I, personally, would LOVE to have a complete NES set for no other reason than to say I own them all. The NES was a huge part of my life, and why not fulfill a childhood dream of owning them all? I'm sure that I'm not the only one with those desires. I wouldn't play many of them, maybe a handful. They'd just sit on the shelf. But who's to say I'm wrong here?

The whole point of collecting is to have fun. If you can enjoy collecting while staying within your own personal monetary means, there's nothing that should stop you or give you pause about what you're doing.

Collecting certainly does drive price up, but it's inevitable. If a person wants an NWC cart and is only willing to pay $100 for it, then they'll search until they find a specimen that meets their expectations. They're not going to scoff at the copies that go for $2000, since it's not in their means or expectations. If one looks hard enough, any title, even some of the grails, are obtainable at a low price. Everyone places a different monetary value to stuff and buys accordingly.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 08-10-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd actually like to know how many NES collector's have actually collected from the beginning of the NES to now. I see a lot of retro collector's who are between 18-25, where a majority of them perhaps were a bit too young at the time to buy their own games, but maybe had a NES and have had a handful of games from the beginning and have never stopped buying them. How many people have had a near complete NES set since before the SNES's release?

It would be nice to see someone put their hand up and say that they have a majority of a whole collection (Ie, 75% or more) which they have had for 15 or more years, rather than to see 20 something's who have selected the NES as their collection of choice and have simply eBay'ed all the titles in their collection. For example, I am not really all that proud of my N64 or Dreamcast collections as they are systems I have collected for AFTER their demise, and have simply collected them from other collector's on eBay over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    I'd actually like to know how many NES collector's have actually collected from the beginning of the NES to now. I see a lot of retro collector's who are between 18-25, where a majority of them perhaps were a bit too young at the time to buy their own games, but maybe had a NES and have had a handful of games from the beginning and have never stopped buying them. How many people have had a near complete NES set since before the SNES's release?

It would be nice to see someone put their hand up and say that they have a majority of a whole collection (Ie, 75% or more) which they have had for 15 or more years, rather than to see 20 something's who have selected the NES as their collection of choice and have simply eBay'ed all the titles in their collection. For example, I am not really all that proud of my N64 or Dreamcast collections as they are systems I have collected for AFTER their demise, and have simply collected them from other collector's on eBay over the years.

I see it differently. I don't think it's any worse to start collecting for a system well after its demise... in fact, I see it as the logical process of the collecting hobby. Let me explain. I have nothing against the 18-25 year old kids collecting for the NES. In fact, that's probably one of the main NES collecting demographics because they were the kids that grew up in the NES age. I don't think it's even debatable that nostalgia is perhaps the greatest driving force for the VG collecting hobby, so I think it's only fair to assume that a large number of NES collectors are going to be nostalgic young adults who finally have the financial means to purchase and play old games that they obviously never could have bought as jobless 10 year olds. I often notice that many of the older collectors have a sort of animosity towards the younger collectors, perhaps under the philisophy that they have "no appreciation for the classics". While this is may be true at the early stages of collecting, I think it's fair to say that every hardcore collector went through the phase of being a dumb new collector too. Almost every "old collector" started out as a young collector-- this isn't a hobby people just pick up at 35 years old.... it's a hobby you pick up at 18-25. It takes time to get to a point where you're an experienced collector, and all of us were dumb collectors at a time too; just like the kids just getting back into the NES now.

Plus, you have to consider the reality of what you are saying. 75% of an NES collection while the NES is still in production?? I don't think you'd see many people who can meet that criteria... even the most hardcore collectors on DP with complete or near-complete NES collections. First of all, what'd be the point of compiling games in that fashion? It'd be irrational from both a gaming and financial standpoint. First, from a gaming standpoint, why buy all those games back in 1990? You would never get to play them all. The point is to slowly compile it through the years so you can actually play the games (however, yes I realize that not every collector plays every game they own). The NES had some classics, but it had even more crap games... it wasn't worth owning 75% them at the prices they were fetching back in 1990. Which brings me to the second factor-- finances. Today you can find almost all NES commons for less than $5... and less than $1 or $2 if you buy some nice lots. But back in 1990 you would have been paying at least $60 for new games, and a hefty price for even the most common of used games. So why make this type of investment when the value of the items is only going to depreciate? Now, 15 years later, we are at the point where you can be pretty sure that the games will hold their value.

All of this doesn't just apply to the NES-- it applies to all systems. Put what you are saying into context. It'd be like me saying that the best PS2 collector is the person who has a 75% complete collection RIGHT NOW. Is it reasonable to own a 75% complete PS2 collection right now? From a gaming and financial standpoint, probably not. If some hardcore PS2 guy wants to go for it, hey it's a free country, but the rest of us will wait. Sure, now is the time to start collecting some of the games, but you would need thousands of dollars just to get to the 50% mark right now. So see, while we're discussing the NES today, 15 years from now it'll be the PS2 we're discussing with 18-25 year olds taking over that collecting scene. And it'll be just as crazy in 2025 to say that the best PS2 collectors are the ones that had a 75% complete collection by 2007. Sorry for all the rambling and I understand what you're saying... I don't think it's a bad point, but I just wanted to show how it appears from a different perspective and in a different context.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought the "collecting every game" thing was pretty stupid unless someone is extremely well off. If you have unlimited funds, sure do whatever you like. Sure everyone has the freedom to extend their credit limits, buy every game on ebay, and penny-pinch to survive daily. If that truly makes you happy, then go for it.

I just hate to see people waste their money in general, and this only get magnified with some video game collectors. Honestly, if you don't play it, there are a LOT better investments that can be made with the money.

Do what makes you happy, but please don't succumb to multiple credit cards to do so.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

At the moment, I don't even have 10 NES games so don't worry about me completing the NES collection anytime soon. I don't have the cash for that type of venture and even if I had the money, I wouldn't want to. I'd complete the Sega Genesis collection before anything else and I won't be doing that anytime soon either, if ever.

I'd like to add to what Ed said or maybe take it in a different direction. I don't have any problem with a person owning every NES game. Here is what I think, though. Excuse me for the morbid thoughts.

1. It isn't anything you can take with you after you're gone and it isn't a meaningful asset that everyone in your will would appreciate. If I wasn't a gamer, I'd have mixed feelings if the only thing a loved one left me in his or her will was a complete NES collection and it was my job to get rid of it, sell it or hold onto it.

2. If that is the only legacy you have left over after you pass away, then it is a fairly meaningless one. There are a lot of other things I'd rather be known for than owning every game on a particular system.

With that said, you can't really knock a person's interests. I have hobbies that get plenty of derision from other people, too.
    Last edited by bangtango; 08-10-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not everybody has to rely on credit cards though. Some people allocate a certain percentage of their wage / salary to their collection. And at the end of the day, when it's complete it's over, unless you choose to move onto something else. Plus, there's the bonus of being able to sell it on again to re-coup the money spent if need be, unlike other hobbies which involve parting with money in exchange for an "Experience" which you'll never get back (Ie, Go-Karting or playing online MMORPG's etc)

Collecting a complete collection usually comes after collecting the games you want to play. It gets to the point where you take a look at what you have (Maybe, 50%) and decide that to accumulate the rest wouldn't take much more effort or money. Eg, my own personal N-Gage collection was pretty much 75% complete when I decided that to complete the collection would just mean buying a handful of titles that I usually wouldn't touch (Ie, sports titles) ~ Same could be said here, where the NES collection in question is perhaps proportinally complete, and the collector has decided that to reach 95% or over is a realistic target

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    Plus, there's the bonus of being able to sell it on again to re-coup the money spent if need be
    So, why not wait until things are cheaper so not as much is invested in things that may be resold?

Just buying a shit-ton of games just to say "Yeah, I was into that when it was the 'in thing', not like like everyone else who got into it after they stopped making games for it" is elitist, and therefore completely stupid.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently own 131 NES games. I'll never get anywhere close to 550, as I generally only like to keep the stuff I'll actually play. I do have a small want list, and there's still quite a bit of stuff I'd get if I saw it at the right price, but even then, I doubt the number will reach 200.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not me, I have about half of that though. Around 200-225 so I'm half way there. I do have over 550 Sega Genesis games though if you wanna start a who has over 550 Genesis games.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:34 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

550 is no more of a benchmark than any other arbitrary number, really. I think the OP said he just to 550, hence the #.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, I suppose spending the amount of money required to obtain 550 NES games is more productive than spending the same money on dope, booze, heroin, cocaine, scratch tickets, etc.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Well, I suppose spending the amount of money required to obtain 550 NES games is more productive than spending the same money on dope, booze, heroin, cocaine, scratch tickets, etc.

What's wrong with scratch tickets?

Personally I tried to get rid of any NES I own simply because they take up space and I never play any of them. I grew up in the Atari-Era though...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I suppose your right...but judging one's behavior by comparing oneself to drug addicts or compulsive gamblers is setting the bar pretty low.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    I suppose your right...but judging one's behavior by comparing oneself to drug addicts or compulsive gamblers is setting the bar pretty low.
    My point is with the rest of that ahem "stuff", there is absolutely nothing to show for it after it is gone, unless you happen to win five grand on a scratch ticket. Games can remain in your collection forever.

Shawn, scratch tickets don't bother me because I don't buy them. I do hate getting stuck in line at every business I go to in town because the guy (or lady) in front of me is buying a dozen and proceeds to scratch them off at the counter as if nobody else is in line.

Funny you can go into pretty much every gas station and convenience store in the world and find just about any scratch ticket, cigarette brand or energy drink ever conceived. Yet these same places don't bother to regularly stock stuff people actually might need in a pinch like dry gas (to prevent your fuel line from freezing or to get water out of your gas), motor oil, transmission fluid, a gallon of water, a single loaf of bread, etc. I remember trying six convenience stores/gas stations in the dead of winter last year to get some dry gas, so my line wouldn't freeze, only to come up short. They had plenty of scratch tickets, though. So I had to go ten miles out of the way to some other place and get some.