Thread: Gamecube Player's Choice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube Player's Choice?

I bought about 6 games from a guy at work for $15 and 2 of them are Player's Choice. I was wondering is there any difference between the original disk/manual and the PC disk and manual?

I was just thinking about changing the inserts with original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that sometimes with Players Choice, Nintendo would actually change game content.

For example, with Metroid Prime, in the original there was a jumping bug that allowed you to reach areas you were supposed to be able to and obtain items out of sequence, this was fixed in the PC version. This always pissed me off as I have the PC version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Like c0ldb33r said, Nintendo has fixed some glitches in PC GCN games.

Super Smash Bros. Melee had some bugs fixed (Being able to see the 3rd eye on the Daisy trophy amoung other things. There was also some game crashing glitch)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Dont' hold me to it, but I think the disc does differ.

I don't think the manual does though.

(I don't personally own any Player's Choice games, this is just me trying to recollect from my GameStop days)
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Same with the PlayStation Platinum releases. A few Platinum releases I know of have the code altered slightly for the Platinum rerelease. V Rally is one such game, which has extra content, and i'm sure the cheat codes for Rayman are different in the subsequent releases...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    For example, with Metroid Prime, in the original there was a jumping bug that allowed you to reach areas you were supposed to be able to and obtain items out of sequence, this was fixed in the PC version. This always pissed me off as I have the PC version
    There's actually three build versions of MP. The latest of the three was used for the PC release, also for the combined MP/MP2 demo pack. And further still, the PAL version is different on top by adding a Samus voiceover and plot corrected Chozo lore (there are some holes in the original text).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    Same with the PlayStation Platinum releases. A few Platinum releases I know of have the code altered slightly for the Platinum rerelease. V Rally is one such game, which has extra content, and i'm sure the cheat codes for Rayman are different in the subsequent releases...
    In the states, PS2 games are "greatest hits" and Xbox games are "platinum hits". Is this different across the pond?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    In the states, PS2 games are "greatest hits" and Xbox games are "platinum hits". Is this different across the pond?
    The PAL equivilent to "Greatest Hits" (PlayStation and PS2) are classed as "Platinum". Instead of the green or red packaging (For PlayStation or PS2 respectively), we have silver and black coloured packaging. What you know as Xbox "Platinum Hits" is known as "Xbox Classics" over here in the UK. Nintendo "Player's Choice" games are the same, and usually (In the case of GameCube games) come in silver coloured packaging, similar to PlayStation / PS2 games.

In the days of the monochrome GameBoy, we also had Player's Choice titles, which came in red coloured packaging. As far as I know, only a handful of SNES titles were rereleased as Player's Choice over here, as with the GameBoy. I don't know of any GBC or GBA games that were rereleased as PC. N64 games that were rereleased as Player's Choice also came in silver coloured packaging, opposed to black.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The manuals are the same but sometimes the disc will be a different version.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    The PAL equivilent to "Greatest Hits" (PlayStation and PS2) are classed as "Platinum". Instead of the green or red packaging (For PlayStation or PS2 respectively), we have silver and black coloured packaging. What you know as Xbox "Platinum Hits" is known as "Xbox Classics" over here in the UK. Nintendo "Player's Choice" games are the same, and usually (In the case of GameCube games) come in silver coloured packaging, similar to PlayStation / PS2 games.

In the days of the monochrome GameBoy, we also had Player's Choice titles, which came in red coloured packaging. As far as I know, only a handful of SNES titles were rereleased as Player's Choice over here, as with the GameBoy. I don't know of any GBC or GBA games that were rereleased as PC. N64 games that were rereleased as Player's Choice also came in silver coloured packaging, opposed to black.
    Sounds like you PAL guys got the better packaging, we have to stare at ugly red/green/yellow labels. The few GBA games that were released as PC have the same yellow stripe as on GC games.