By pedro sahui
The summer of 1991 was magical for me. I live in Mexico, and I traveled to Los Angeles to visit my big family in California.

I was 13 years old in 1991. I was hanging around my aunt´s house in Los Angeles when my younger cousin told me she´d go the the house next door to play some nintendo.

I`d heard the name Nintendo before, but I had never actually seen one. All I had back in mexico was my atari.

We walked out of my aunt`s house, in this beautiful sunny summer day, and went to the next house...I went inside and entered a room where I saw several magazines and books with what seemed like maps...then I heard this weird tune (turned out to be the music from zelda 2!) thats when I first saw what everyone was talking about: A Nintendo Entertainment System! That summer was a dream, I spent it playing games like Skate or Die, SMB1, Bubble Bobble and Contra. Back then I never thought i`d read a magazine like Nintendo Power, which the coolest thing I could think of, besides a nintendo of course!

The sad part is when I had to leave to my country again. I knew my mother would never have enough money to get me a new NES, specially since my father had passed away a few years earlier.

It was not until the next Christmas that I saw an ad in the newspaper: A store had the NES ACTION pack for sale for 160 US...I showed it to my mother who promised to get it for me...the day was getting closer, until on december 23rd of 1991 we went to the store to get it.

My mom asked for the Nintendo from a gentle counter lady..she brought back that shiny new box and showed it to me...then tradegy ensued...the lady informed my mother that the sale was no longer on, so the price now was $180 US again...I felt desperate when My mother walked out of the store and started crying...I had literally given up all hope to get a nintendo until she walked back into the store again and bough the console for me

That was the happiest moment so far in my life....theres nothing like dreaming to get something for months and months and then having it in your hands doesnt it?

I love NES