Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Official Bioshock Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    As for the influences of Bioshock, well, unfortunately I've never owned a PC capable of playing Deus Ex. Is the version for Xbox any good? I hope it works on a 360... It's a shame that game didn't come out on more machines in the US. I'd really like to try it.
    Stay away from the console versions of Deus Ex (of course, the same can almost be said about all multiplatform FPSs), but I think the Xbox only got the sequel (titled Invisible War) and not the first one.

The original PC version actually ran on a (heavily modified) version of the Unreal Engine 1, so any PC younger than about 10 years old can play it quite comfortably. The sequel wasn't received equally well, but that's expected when you're trying to follow up the sheer genius that was Deus Ex 1.

So in short: so yourself a huge favor and play Deus Ex. It's easily one of the best games ever made.

EDIT: while you're at it, make sure you also play System Shock II, the "spiritual predecessor" to Bioshock. While not as refined as Deus Ex, it does share a lot of similar game mechanics and was very atmospheric and extremely well-written.
    Last edited by Lord_Magus; 01-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

An important technical note:

If you are going to try to get System Shock 2 (and any game using the Dark Engine, like Thief / Thief 2) to run on a modern box, you should visit the forums at http://www.ttlg.com - they have invaluable technical notes / workarounds to get those games running on modern systems.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got Bioshock when it ws £3 on Steam a couple of months ago. It's very pretty and everything, but it's not doing anything for me. I loved the System Shocks, but his is just not for me. I hate the way that the game controls like an arcade shooter - sensitive mouse, everything zooming around at Q3 speeds. Somehow it just doesn't fit with the look of the game.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    An important technical note:

If you are going to try to get System Shock 2 (and any game using the Dark Engine, like Thief / Thief 2) to run on a modern box, you should visit the forums at http://www.ttlg.com - they have invaluable technical notes / workarounds to get those games running on modern systems.
    A seriously heartfelt thank you, Calthaer. My computer hates System Shock 2, and I've been itching to play it since Bioshock: maybe now I can get it to run!

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I got Bioshock when it ws £3 on Steam a couple of months ago. It's very pretty and everything, but it's not doing anything for me. I loved the System Shocks, but his is just not for me. I hate the way that the game controls like an arcade shooter - sensitive mouse, everything zooming around at Q3 speeds. Somehow it just doesn't fit with the look of the game.
    Isn't there a mouse sensitivity slider? Can you not adjust your DPI?

The game is totally worth fiddling with a few menus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Isn't there a mouse sensitivity slider? Can you not adjust your DPI?

The game is totally worth fiddling with a few menus.
    Yeah, there is, and it does help a bit but somehow the combat still feels a bit twitchy and 'lightweight' is the word that I am searching for I think. However, still going to try to finish it, maybe it will grow on me!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Yeah, there is, and it does help a bit but somehow the combat still feels a bit twitchy and 'lightweight' is the word that I am searching for I think. However, still going to try to finish it, maybe it will grow on me!
    really, even though the shooting is decent, the reason one plays through bioshock is for atmosphere and aesthetics. the plasmids are kind of cool and add some variety, but exploring the city was really the highlight for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    really, even though the shooting is decent, the reason one plays through bioshock is for atmosphere and aesthetics. the plasmids are kind of cool and add some variety, but exploring the city was really the highlight for me.
    No, I completely understand. I just find that the shooting bit of the game spoils the atmosphere as things go from 'quite tense' to 'Serious Sam Style Shoot Em Up' every time combat pops up. From the looks of things it's just me that has this problem !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bioshock is markedly worse than many other FPSes in the sense that it handles the S much worse than most other games. Really it should be called an FPW (apsijg) - First Person Wrencher (and plasma shifting inventory juggling game).

The "atmosphere" that so wowed me in the demo quickly became boring and even stifling - claustrophobia in a bad way. I have a vague impression that Timeshift, for example, doesn't really suffer this problem, despite having a sense of style (apparently). Looking outside the glass domes never got old; too bad those great vistas were rare, and the expansive indoor areas they promised so few.

Didn't know the cats were supposed to be alive, and unfortunately the video on this page is gone (apparently - copyright claim by American Broadcasting Company? Are you kiddin' me?)

Not going to reinstall this so I can roleplay a child killer and get full blown Securom again.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Bioshock is markedly worse than many other FPSes in the sense that it handles the S much worse than most other games. Really it should be called an FPW (apsijg) - First Person Wrencher (and plasma shifting inventory juggling game).
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I have to strenuously disagree. Perhaps my view is skewed by having played the System Shock games, but Bioshock handles the 'shooting' portion of it's gameplay with aplomb, and significantly more style than most other entries in the genre. You probably can just wrench/zap your way through the game, but there are plenty of other interesting, fun, and viable options available to the player. Try the 'Big Daddy Training Level' late in the game using just the wrench and we'll talk.

The "atmosphere" that so wowed me in the demo quickly became boring and even stifling - claustrophobia in a bad way. I have a vague impression that Timeshift, for example, doesn't really suffer this problem, despite having a sense of style (apparently). Looking outside the glass domes never got old; too bad those great vistas were rare, and the expansive indoor areas they promised so few.
    The claustrophobic atmosphere is, I admit, a take it or leave it affair. I'm a huge fan of survival horror games, so I loved Bioshock's art design pretty much top to bottom. I suppose it's a YMMV situation.

I think Bioshock is suffering from a serious case of Hype-ititis, defined as a condition where a game is so over-hyped and lauded that, after a point, a person would rather contract a virulent STD than add to the hype.

It wasn't the finest game ever produced, but it hooked me hard enough that I beat it in two marathon sittings. It has a uniquely clever fourth wall breaking plot, some well thought out and entertaining weapons and plasmids, and some of the best art direction the FPS genre has ever seen. It was certainly five hundred thousand times more proficient in damn near everything than "Timeshift", of all games: I just don't get the hate.