Thread: Can you identify this game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can you identify this game?

It is a game I played a long time ago for an IBM PC. This PC was old enough to have no hard drive, and only had two of the old, large floppy drives. DOS had to be loaded from a disc to really operate the computer. The game itself was also on a floppy disc, although I don't recall if ours was an illegal copy or not.

The game was a Dig Dug clone. I haven't played the real dig dug much, but in this game your character was some sort of tank with a mouth. The objective was to collect all the emeralds (I think) in each level. There were bags of gold that fell if you dug underneath them. What caused me to remember was that the music was identical to the music that plays in this video (http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/secon...ife-289029.php). You have to watch the video for a while to get to the part where the music is briefly played.

Any ideas?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    It is a game I played a long time ago for an IBM PC. This PC was old enough to have no hard drive, and only had two of the old, large floppy drives. DOS had to be loaded from a disc to really operate the computer. The game itself was also on a floppy disc, although I don't recall if ours was an illegal copy or not.

The game was a Dig Dug clone. I haven't played the real dig dug much, but in this game your character was some sort of tank with a mouth. The objective was to collect all the emeralds (I think) in each level. There were bags of gold that fell if you dug underneath them. What caused me to remember was that the music was identical to the music that plays in this video (http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/secon...ife-289029.php). You have to watch the video for a while to get to the part where the music is briefly played.

Any ideas?
    Yes, it's Digger!
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/27

Remember playing that one as well, altough I had it on a self-bootable disc. But my computer setup sounds suspiciously like yours

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I will second the findings and agree that it is Digger. Quite a few ports of that game and I still love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's definitely it. Thanks. While I'm at it, there was another game I used to play on the computer. It was sort of like Missile Command, except instead of missiles there were paratroopers.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    That's definitely it. Thanks. While I'm at it, there was another game I used to play on the computer. It was sort of like Missile Command, except instead of missiles there were paratroopers.
    Heh... I believe that would be... Paratrooper. The best was when you shot the chute off of one and he landed on another, squishing him and killing both! That game occupied my dad, brother, and myself for many months. Think we played on an IBM 8080, which we swapped discs (1 to load dos, 1 for the game). It was really cool when we upgraded and had TWO floppy drives. Or maybe we always had two and I finally learned how to use the b: drive.