Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you with complete collections

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default For those of you with complete collections

Hello everyone, I have 663 Sega Genesis games so I am very close to owning a complete collection. Although I was thinking a few minutes ago that I have probably only played half of the 663 games. So I thought this would be a good question for collectors with complete collections.

Have you played every game of your complete collection? Something else that I thought would be a crazy goal would be this; after I complete my US released Sega Genesis collection, try to beat every US released Sega Genesis game. Does anyone think it would be possible to beat them all?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be possible. Would take years though. I play every game I get. Just to sample it, If I like or don't like, i'll try it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85 View Post
    Something else that I thought would be a crazy goal would be this; after I complete my US released Sega Genesis collection, try to beat every US released Sega Genesis game. Does anyone think it would be possible to beat them all?
    Very ambitious goal, but it can be done. You'll definitely get your money's worth out of the collection.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends, how much free time do you have. There is a difference between a collection time and playing time.
    Collecting: You drive around or surf the internet. Usually with driving you'll stop along the way to a destination so it's not like you're spending a whole day shopping (though some do this).
    Gaming: You need to set aside many hours to play each game. Some games have different learning curves and can last long lengths of time. In addition, what do you do in the case of never ending games (puzzles, mazes).

But anyhow, I'd say it'll take you several thousand hours to tackle such a feat, which in my time would be at least 2 years utilizing my free time. Good luck with that!

Imagine this though, if you have 1000 games and you spend 30 seconds on each just to get to the menu then it'll take you 8.33 straight hrs of just swapping out carts to go through them all. So the real question, did you enjoy those 8.33 hrs?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea it would be a loafty goal, I think for now I'm just going to try and play all the games I have for the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cyberfluxor: I have more than 1000 video games so I guess I've spent more than the 8.33 hours just checking if every single game I have works. Thats not even counting when I put a Genesis or NES game in and it doesnt work the first time. Turn off the console, pull the game out, put the game back in, turn the game back on. Man this is like what a drunk would call a moment of clarity, Man, dude I've wasted my life. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't say you wasted that time, you enjoyed it right? I mean come on, when I put a game in and it works it's like SWEET! But when it doesn't (which has only happened once or twice) then you feel jipped and was a complete waste. Either way you still have plenty of loots to play so game on!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I guess your right. Becuase I know I get jaked when I cant get a new game to work at first. It usually only happens on a game that I actually had been looking for, so naturally I actually wanted to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Generally, that's my goal. If I can't beat the game, at least I want to advance as far as I can get.

EDIT: Oh I don't have a complete collection, but I do own a LOT.
    Last edited by Steven; 08-15-2007 at 09:31 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I thought u didnt have

miracle piano or outback joey or blockbuster cart. Than that would not be a complete set. I have beaten all sega genesis games,compition cart doesnt count though.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I've got a pair of 'complete*' (everyone has their own definitions of complete) collections, the US NGPC (32 released games) and US Dreamcast (249) collections. I've played about 80% of my NGPC games and maybe 10% of the DC stuff. I buy WAY more than I can hope to ever play. Hell every sealed DC game i've got (a good 20-30) will probably stay that way for a long while as i've got no real desire to fire them up. I've got more games than I know what to do with so those unplayed games in complete collections are even farther back on the to play list.

*(my definition of complete is every game officially released/licensed by the company that developed the system in its lifespan. Unlicensed games released during the same time can be accepted as well. I then go for all variants that have been released as well, they arn't needed but for OCD purposes, but they are something that I buy none the less.)
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

asbury: I seriously doubt you've beaten all your games, and Blockbuster is a contest cart, just like the NWC for the NES. SHould not be listed to have as a "complete set" of released games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only set I am close to completing is Neo CD, and I have fired up all of them, actually spent a fair amount of time playing, oh, 50% of them, and played the hell out of maybe 20% of them.

It's not possible on a larger collection, but on a Neo CD/NGP/VB or similarly small set it sure is.

Only other complete collection I am shooting for at the moment is WonderSwan, but I won't be playing all those either, even though it's a relatively small set. I can play RPGs in Japanese, but it's tedious enough to not make it so enjoyable. Maybe in a few years when my Japanese gets better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree with Dream TR, as a set should just be all the ones that could be bought in retail. I would further add MY OPINION that Outback Joey cannot be played on a Sega Genesis, and thus should be removed altogether(It needs the Heartbeat system which is its own unit). Back on subject.... hell no I havent touched 25% of my collection. I love that. I could pick a different game every day for the next like 14 years and not duplicate a game. Retirement is going to be fun!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I seriously doubt you will beat every game. Try starting with Chakan, and Kid Chameleon, and Risky Woods. and see how it goes from there. And some games are just so horrible it would be a waste of life to spend time playing them. Dark castle for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Played, yes. Beaten, no.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a massive task. I've played every single game in my collection but probabaly have beaten only 3/4 of them. Some games are just no fun but you still want to beat it. Does it count if you beat some of the games you hate with a game genie, AR or other codes just to see the ending?

PS The heartbeat monitor is basically a genesis with a hardcover on the outside. Last time I booted it up you could play genesis games on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The closest I have to a complete collectin is having almost half of the Japanese Virtual Boy games. And I have played them all. Not to say I've defeated them all, but they have all been played a little. On systems with very few games like Virtual Boy or Vectrex, it's doable, but with Genesis you have quite a task.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one complete collection, and yes, I have played every game in it quite a bit - many of the games I've had since I was a kid.

Considering how much time it'd take to play every game in a large collection, I think this phrase:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85 View Post
    it would be a loafty goal
    ...is positively Freudian!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my Atari 7800 collection is complete
    and ive played them all havent beat them all (i cant seem to beat impossible mission and most people know why) but played them

complete for me is every US released game, no UK or japanese etc...

my 3DO collection is complete, but i havent played them all as i dont want to open many of the sealed ones i have

i dont even want to imagine the time it would take to play and beat my 3DO collection let alone a Genesis collection
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/