Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Well shit.

There goes one of the last stores that sells Dreamcast games and accessories.
    Do they still carry Dreamcast games at your GC? They phased out all of that stuff at my GC with the last sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i guess that gamestop/eb games has no compotition
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll bet in a couple weeks they have close out sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

The only story I have to share is more about females working in game stores. This one just happens to work at Gamecrazy.

I reserved Persona 3 from Gamecrazy, because Gamestop told me they weren't taking pre-orders on it. This was months before its release....so don't ask me. I think the employee couldn't spell it or find it in the system. So anyways, I reserved it at Gamecrazy. I wanted to pick it up yesterday and I called. No one ever called me and it came out on Wednesday. Some girl named Becky answered and I told her I was looking to see if they had Persona 3. She puts me on hold for a few minutes then comes back and asks what system it is for. I say PS2 and she says "no, we don't carry that." A few hours later I have Oobgarm call the same store. Same girl answers and says they got them in but sold out. He informs her we reserved it. She quickly says something along the lines of oh I mean we didn't get it in.

Soooo...we head over to another Gamecrazy store after work. Hoping I can transfer my reserve credit. The guy working calls the store and no one answers. He tries several times after. Nothing. I went ahead and bought it without my transferred credit, figuring I would eventually buy something at the original store I reserved it from. Still I wanted to choke that girl.

Keep in mind I'm female and worked at Gamestop for many years. Girls who play games make excellent employees. Hiring chicks based on their looks, who have zero interest in what they are selling pisses me off to no end.
    Last edited by Eternal Tune; 08-18-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I'll bet in a couple weeks they have close out sale
    No way. Someone will buy the assets. Maybe even GameStop-and just absorb the inventory.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Gamecrazy is (was) great for having hard to find items months (and sometimes years) after they stopped being available everywhere else. Hori controllers, Messiah items, new Dreamcast accessories, etc.

Unfortunately, my local Gamecrazy stopped getting in new titles about two months ago. They're now just essentially selling what stock they have left. It's too bad and a net negative for gamers.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this somewhat stinks. I discovered a few of their locations last year and made a few good N64, GBC and NES purchases from them. I wouldn't be suprised if Game Stop did buy them out and put it into their inventory, especially with their new Movie Stop locations.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Do they still carry Dreamcast games at your GC? They phased out all of that stuff at my GC with the last sale.
    Yeah. But you have to ask them. They never have the DC games on the shelves, for some strange reason.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, it's a shame, but I can't say I'll miss them much. For years I didn't even have a nearby location, so seeing people talk about Game Crazy was kind of a mystery to me. But then I found one, and I've visited once or twice a year for the last two or three years. Their selection for both old and new has never been impressive, but I've bought maybe 10 or so games there over the years. This summer they really helped me out because I bought a Super Scope (elsewhere) but had no games for it. Their SNES selection is completely picked over (like everything else at this point), but, because they required a special accessory that most people don't have, the Super Scope games remained sitting among the sports titles. There's absolutely nothing left that I would want at this point, unless they got something decent for a relatively modern system. I have made a couple decent PS2 purchases in the past, but when I looked through everything this summer, I couldn't find a single thing worth getting. I'm also trying to repair one of the first games I ever bought there. Thanks to GameCrazy I've ended up with my very first dead battery in a cart (I assume it was dead all along because I never played the game enough previously to know one way or another).

So all in all, my experience with them wasn't necessarily bad, but it sure wasn't remarkable. The employees have always been pretty friendly, though, and they seem relatively knowledgeable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Tune View Post
    Hiring chicks based on their looks, who have zero interest in what they are selling pisses me off to no end.
    If the rationale for hiring these girls is what I think it is, then you probably have a good reason to be pissed.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, it's a shame, but I can't say I'll miss them much. Their SNES selection is completely picked over (like everything else at this point)

QFT. I raided a bunch of Game Crazy's in the earlier part of 2006. Got some great deals, Mega Man X2 $10, Kirby SuperStar $5 etc. Then suddenly, summer '06 it got completely drained. All that was left were crappy old sport games. Before you could walk in and find Equinox, ActRaiser, Combatribes, Clay Fighter, etc. So, this bit of news really doesn't affect me. I've long stop visiting them.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

I like shopping at my local Game Crazy and hope they dont go under. Its the only game store with employees who know what theyre talking about. What is funny is the people in this thread bitching about not getting the freebies. Especially the one guy who harrased the manager at home. Its a FREEBIE!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmmm...

They deserve this for throwing away all those game boxes and ps1 cases....payback...finally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(Excuse the Anthony1 sized post here, but I have a lot to say, so...)

As I've said before, GameCrazy is the lesser of two evils. They always came off as just a little better than GameStop/EB, but not quite.

I haven't had any major problems at the stores I've visited. Then again, I've never preordered a thing at GameCrazy. Most of the employees I've encountered are knowledgeable and helpful. One time, I was telling an employee about how GameStop refused to let my friend renew her discount card because the computer said her card hadn't expired yet (it had). The employee said that she used to work at a GameStop herself. This was followed by "let's just say there's a reason I'm here instead of there." Also, I have yet to see a female employee at any of the local GameCrazies that didn't come off as a gamer. The girl I just mentioned wound up talking with me about her Super Nintendo collection. One time I went to another store on a pretty dead evening, and the girl working there was playing an RPG on a Super NES. I've never had anyone try anything shady to get me to buy an MVP card or preorder something.

Then again, the Hollywood video headquarters in Wilsonville is right in the Portland area, so that could be why the stores here are so good. In fact, several GameCrazy stores in the Portland area (including the one near my house) were originally test stores. In fact, most of the local stores kept the boxes and instructions to whatever classic plastic/GBA carts they got in.

The MVP card was mostly a joke. I had it for one year (between mid-2004 and mid-2005), and at that time, they did have a few monthly "MVP only" sales. Nothing too big though. The last one I remember was a B2G1 on used sports games. Lame. I don't remember any MVP exclusive tournaments and they didn't even offer magazine subs with the MVP card until right before my card expired.

In fact, the only reason I got the card was because I had decided to look around the Gresham store, and it turned out that Mark Wattles (who owned Hollywood Video before they were sold to Movie Gallery) and a few other people from corporate were in there. Mark introduced himself to me and asked me a few questions about the store, and then offered me a free MVP card. I couldn't turn it down. It was great but during that year I didn't see a thing that offered me any incentive to renew it. Instead, I went with the $5 EB Edge card (man, I miss that card).

Also, GameCrazy did sell opened games as new, but at my stores, it was limited to those "sale" games you see on a rack in the middle of the store (some were sealed, though).

The classic plastic was a great thing. It's a shame that they decided to stop carrying them and taking them in. For those who hadn't heard, any store with classic plastic left should be running a 2 for $5 sale to get rid of them. A couple months ago I hit up several of the local stores, buying the best of whatever they had left.

It's really too bad that GameCrazy started adopting GameStop's policies in an attempt to keep going, because their best benefit was that they weren't GameStop. I hope Play N' Trade gets big in the next few years. I'm glad that there are other options in the Portland area, though.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 08-18-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Dammit. Game Crazy is an amazing store. I've gotten a good portion of my game collection from there.

We need another place to rise up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    I like shopping at my local Game Crazy and hope they dont go under. Its the only game store with employees who know what theyre talking about. What is funny is the people in this thread bitching about not getting the freebies. Especially the one guy who harrased the manager at home. Its a FREEBIE!
    It absolutely was not a freebie. I paid them $35 for my copy of PoR with the bonus pack. I could have just as easily (and much more happily) given my local indie shop the $35, but I was promised the bonus because I was buying the game there.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

crap in a hat!

one store opens and another closes, evewry god damn time in this forsaken town!
    Game Crazy here is decent, they dont have much in the way of old stuff but when they get it i know about it, i have also got many a games there because there more a local company than EB or Software Ect. is (yes its still software Ect. and both EB and Software are in the same mall, go fig) Play n' Trade is opening up soon but theres no guraentes theyre gonna have classic stuff and game crazys old stuff was growing. i have got some major deals there with NES and SNES games. our store was doing 2 for $ classic plastic and i managed Doom and Secret of Mana on SNES both for $5.

whatta pain in the ass, i hope they just sell everything off if this does happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are no GameCrazies in my area. Luckily I have the DigitalPress store relatively close by. I need to pay that a visit soon!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Crazy will forever leave me two memories in my life:

1. Buying my complete Saturn there for $9 (after my $10 store credit).

2. Being the place where that "knowledgeable" father went on about wanting to play Halo on his son's GC and declaring that all game systems run on DOS after being told why it wouldn't work.

Generally the employee's there have been decent and in many cases knowledgeable beyond the typical new game releases.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to jump and say that all GCs are going under. It's no secret that they along with MG and HV have problems, but it's too quick to say they're all going to close. I wouldn't be shocked if GC survived.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com