Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best fighting game ONE PLAYER MODE!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best fighting game ONE PLAYER MODE!

ok, so i love fighting games especially the streetfighter 2 / alpha series.

my mates have kinda moved on from videogames and so i don't really have anyone to play with ( i know..Boo Hoo!!), and i don't have the opportunity to play online right now.

SO what i'd like to know is which fighting game, esp sf2 series, has the best one player mode.

I've heard that super turbo cheats and 'reads' your inputs, is this so?

I'd really like a one player challenge that tests me without cheating, that has good A.I that'll develop me as a player, opponants that play most like humans would, opponants with different fighting styles that make me have to work a way round them etc. and most of all a deep, but fun fighting game.

any ideas please???

thanks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fighting games suck single player, that's what you are playing waiting for someone else to insert their coin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution's Quest mode is pretty damn satisfying as far as single player fighting game stuff goes. I believe the next Tekken game is supposed to be integrating something similar.

Soul Edge / Soul Blade had some pretty neat additions to the single player to pad it out when they brought it to the Playstation. Too bad it's not Street Fighter...or 2D...but hey, it's gotta count for something.

But yea, generally single player mode in fighting games is designed to string you along for a few fights and then deliver the cheap rape in an attempt to suck your quarters. You can always learn the patterns and destroy the enemy with a little practice, but it'll cost you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed, they do suck mostly in one player mode - but i've no options which is why i'd like to play and master the best one.

ah ha, i just remembered SFA3's world tour mode. I remember that being a good one player mode. but they just mixed up the rules to win to expand it. i.e. must win with a throw, must win with a combo etc.

I'm after the game with the most human-like computer opponants, oh and i'd rather it be 2-d really! thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Alpha 3 on PS1 held my attention single player for 40+ hours. There is so much to do it's incredible. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 has a lot of stuff to unlock, but the game is kind of broken and can get repetitive since human opponents are the only real way to have a hard time winning.

Soul Calibur 1 and 2 are also really good with the amount of stuff to do, as well as Tekken 5 and Virtua Fighter 4 and 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like you've already said, SFA3's world tour mode and that's it in the 2D. Other than that? You'll have to move on to 3D Fighters of Soul Cal/Tekken/VF Series or the UFC fighters for some kind of single mode, and be honest? it ain't all that either.

Bummer

Online fighters are whare it's at, Lag or not.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another vote for SF Alpha 3 on the PS1 - World Tour mode rocks, and there are a TON of characters. VF4 & VF4 Evo are both pretty addicting single player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not much of a fighting game fan for this very reason-- just don't have anyone to play against on a regular basis (oh, and I suck at them, so that doesn't help). But the only one I ever truly enjoyed in 1P was Soul Calibur. And Super Smash Bros Melee of course has the best single-player of all time, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I suck horrendously at 2D fighters (especially SFII), so I can't offer much advice there.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

You need to get online and start busting some heads. Live Arcade has the remade Super SFII coming this year, and already has Hyper Fighting. I'm sure a compilation down the road is due for some companies 2-D fighters. Also, Virtua Fighter 5 is not that far off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Back in the day Tekken 2 took alot of my free time.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, becuase I just moved into my own house. After livingg with three room-mates for two years. So I can only play one player games right now too. (I dont have broadband, to play online) Anywho I enjoy Eternal Champions for Genesis, Virtual Fighter 2 for Saturn and good ol' Mortal Kombat 3 for Genesis for my single player fighting urges.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've had a lot of fun with Alpha 1 on the PS, SF II on the Genesis, KI: Gold and MK4 on the N64, MK3 on the PS and KI on the SNES. Oh and Tekken and BAT on the PS as well... I had fun with Cosmic Carnage on the 32X too. (dodges tomatos... )

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Forgot VF4 on the PS2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution's Quest mode is pretty damn satisfying as far as single player fighting game stuff goes. I believe the next Tekken game is supposed to be integrating something similar.
    OMG yes! Virtua Fighter's quest mode is amazing. I f'n love having that win/loss record. The computer actually gets somewhat difficult, too. I think I need to start playing that again!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CTRL + F

"Power Quest"

No results found.

This topic PHAILS.

Power Quest for the GBC has the best single player RPG/fighter hybrid quest mode ever in the history of anything.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds bad ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Dammit. I swear to god I've played Power Quest before, and I remember wanting to buy it when I was younger. I wish I had screen shots of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fighters Megamix has a large amount of unlockables and I enjoyed the single player back in the day. It's fun being able to pit regular Virtua Fighter Characteres against their VF: Kids versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Tobal games have very deep 1p modes, and there are a few 2D fighters with really fun single player gameplay. Those Jojo games for PS/DC/CPS3 have lots of neat minigames and bonus rounds, and I've heard good things about Warzard/Red Earth. Eternal Champions for Sega CD is kind of fun in 1p mode if you're into trying to use finishing moves on everyone.

I find it more fun to play shitty fighting games by myself and good ones with friends. I really like trying to break crap like Tattoo Assassins, Time Killers, or those hacked SF arcade bootlegs, but those games suck to play with anyone else. I guess it's just more tolerable to fight against the cheating AI when you have an arsenal of glitches and design flaws to use against it. The problem with good fighting games is that the AI is given so many unfair advantages that you just feel cheated, and to make matters worse, many of the cheats used by the AI actually break strategies that are completely solid in 2p mode. When the cpu opponent can read inputs, pull off charge moves with no start up delay, and deal out twice the damage while only taking half, it completely ruins a lot of otherwise effective strategies, and forces the player to win by finding some vulnerability in the AI mechanics and exploiting it repeatedly. In a game like SSF2T, where the 2p mode is all that really matters, it would still be nice to be able to test my skills against an AI opponent that at least plays by the same rules as human opponents. The whole point of the 1p game is (or should be) to practice for 2p matches, so the more consistent the two experiences are, the better.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Wars Masters of teras kasi

Lots of costumes to unlock and the over crap fighting set up will take a lot of fustration and liquor to master if that's even possible.