Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FF7 was destined for the Sega Saturn?

Insert Coin (Level 0) eday_2010's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    Whether it's true or not, do you guys think that the gaming landscape would be very significantly changed, had FF7 gone to the Saturn?
    I'm pretty sure that if FFVII had been released onthe Saturn instead of the PSone, with the same marketing, that the Saturn would have possible triumphed and allowed Sega to still be making consoles. Of course, you have to take into consideration the lack of Sonic games and all that. But FFVII could have boosted the user base way up which would have meant more games. It's hard to speculate either way. It could have flopped and made no difference, or it could have been as big a hit as it ended up being on the PSone and changed everything. I think it have been the altter of the two

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if FFVII had been released onthe Saturn instead of the PSone, with the same marketing, that the Saturn would have possible triumphed and allowed Sega to still be making consoles. Of course, you have to take into consideration the lack of Sonic games and all that. But FFVII could have boosted the user base way up which would have meant more games. It's hard to speculate either way. It could have flopped and made no difference, or it could have been as big a hit as it ended up being on the PSone and changed everything. I think it have been the altter of the two
    It'd have been nice for people who owned Saturn but I don't think FFVII on the Saturn would have saved the system. A lot of other things, too numerous to mention, would have needed to fall into place.

There are good games that actually did come out on both PS1 and Saturn, like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Madden, etc. which were popular but didn't save the Saturn from an early grave. Perhaps it isn't fair to make that type of comparison but I don't believe the Saturn died because it didn't get this game, that game or another game. You can have the best AAA titles in the world but when you have a company bungling the launch, allowing a stiff to publicly say the platform is dead, etc......it kills any momentum that good titles might possibly bring.

Can't blame you a bit for your opinion, though. A lot of people here wish the Saturn would have performed better and not been killed off so soon, including me. So thinking of a scenario (or scenarios) where it could have potentially happened is an occasional pastime for some Sega fans.
    Last edited by bangtango; 09-01-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never said it died because it didn't get this game. Iwas simply saying this game could have saved it and made the Saturn extremely popular. The Saturn died because of poor marketing (suprise early release) and a bad reputation due to the Sega CD and 32X. It had some stellar games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Wisdom, but the reputation from a couple years earlier plus the higher price tag no only three or so games at launch until the fall didn't help the system at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF7 may not have been able to "save" the Saturn, but I definitely think it would've extended its lifespan. IMO it would've put it on top in Japan -- Saturn being the #1 system in Japan would've made Sega not release their next console so quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    FF7 may not have been able to "save" the Saturn, but I definitely think it would've extended its lifespan. IMO it would've put it on top in Japan -- Saturn being the #1 system in Japan would've made Sega not release their next console so quickly.
    That's true. And it would have gained themback some of the good reputation they had before the 32Xand Sega CD kerfuffle. Having FFVII and all the ensuing Square games (Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, and all those others), definately would have made the Saturn a top contender with a much longer lifespan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
    I was simply going by what you yourself said. You said that there was no big Square titles coming to any Nintendo system, other than ports and remakes.

I just stated that DQIX was a DS exclusive. The DS is a system and it is a major release.
    A DS is a "system" in the same way that an Ipod is a computer. ------ In other words, not at all.

Portables are separate (and in my opinion very, very inferior) entities from the full-sized systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why are you still here?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    veronica_marsfan is a "poster" in the same way that an Ipod is a computer. ------ In other words, not at all.

Trolls like me are separate (and in my opinion very, very inferior) entities from the other posters.
    Corrected for clarity.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread