0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Advice request: Buyer claims item doesn't work

Item in question:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320147468607

I got these two guns about a month ago, and I tested them. Both worked perfectly, even if they were a bit beat up. So I put them up for auction.

And now one of the buyers sent me this little message:

This gun doesnt work at all it's a worthless piece of plastic.I'll send it back if you gave me a refund or if you want to trade it for a gun that works.
    I think he's probably trying to scam me by sending me a defective gun. I tested it just before shipping it out and it worked perfectly, all buttons were fine, and the trigger worked well too. But I could be overreacting.

I'm probably going to go ahead and tell him to return the gun... but if he does, and it does work, what should I do? :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Item in question:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320147468607

I got these two guns about a month ago, and I tested them. Both worked perfectly, even if they were a bit beat up. So I put them up for auction.

And now one of the buyers sent me this little message:

I think he's probably trying to scam me by sending me a defective gun. I tested it just before shipping it out and it worked perfectly, all buttons were fine, and the trigger worked well too. But I could be overreacting.

I'm probably going to go ahead and tell him to return the gun... but if he does, and it does work, what should I do? :\
    I don't know. If he plans to keep a gun you sent him that works and scams you by sending back a defective gun he already had, I can't picture him asking you to send yet another gun in trade. Why would he need an extra gun as a so-called replacement, if he is really keeping yours that works and sending back a defective one to scam you? Wouldn't he just send "a gun" back to you and take the refund?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I don't know. If he plans to keep a gun you sent him that works and scams you by sending back a defective gun he already had, I can't picture him asking you to send yet another gun in trade. Why would he need an extra gun as a so-called replacement, if he is really keeping yours that works and sending back a defective one to scam you? Wouldn't he just send "a gun" back to you and take the refund?
    Like I said... maybe I'm overreacting.

I haven't received a reply to my message - I asked him to try unplugging and replugging the gun. The only other thing that comes to mind is that his TV isn't a CRT one (HDTV, LCD, plasma or projection) and that's why the gun doesn't work, but I dunno.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only other thing that comes to mind is that his TV isn't a CRT one (HDTV, LCD, plasma or projection) and that's why the gun doesn't work, but I dunno.
    That was the first thing I thought of, I started putting a caution about that on my dc light guns when I sell them time to time.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just start putting "All items tested working but sold as-is. No returns or refunds for any reason." into your eBay auctions. Problem solved.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooby105 View Post
    Just start putting "All items tested working but sold as-is. No returns or refunds for any reason." into your eBay auctions. Problem solved.
    That is what I usually do. Stuff I sell on Ebay, I usually write something like this.

"Item was tested and found to be working on 2/24/06. Despite that, this item is being sold as is and there are no refunds or exchanges."

This is primarily for video games, compact discs and movies. Some buyers tend to have systems, movie players or cd players that haven't been cleaned in awhile, so I have to be prepared. I like to think listing a date that I tested something helps ease the mind of some buyers because explaining an item has simply been tested could mean it was tested a day ago or 12 months ago. Of course, anybody could pick a date hypothetically and throw it into an auction but I want to get across that I test my stuff a day or two before listing.

Yet I've never sold a gun before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The thing is, ALL my auctions have that line right at the bottom. If an item is untested, I say it's untested. If it's tested, it's mentioned in the auction. But it looks like everyone who complains can't read at all! Unless they think "software and game items" don't include lightguns for some reason.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 08-25-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

The thing is, ALL my auctions have that line right at the bottom. If an item is untested, I say it's untested. If it's tested, it's mentioned in the auction. But it looks like everyone who complains can't read at all! Unless they think "software and game items" don't include lightguns for some reason.
    Then it's simple. You apologize that it doesn't work anymore, but it was tested before you shipped and your policy, which is stated clearly in your auction, is no returns. He agreed to that policy as soon as he won your auction.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by intvsama View Post
    Then it's simple. You apologize that it doesn't work anymore, but it was tested before you shipped and your policy, which is stated clearly in your auction, is no returns. He agreed to that policy as soon as he won your auction.
    Except that he could then just file a paypal claim and say it is substantially not as described and have a good shot at getting refunded for everything including shipping, and get to keep the gun. Unfortunately I don't think PayPal cares about disclaimers like that in auction listings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would tell him to send it back for a refund. Do it in a nice way, you don't want him to take out any anger on the item before returning it. You have to decide if its worth risking a negative over the situation or not.

Hopefully it will show up and still work and you will only be out the shipping.

Mini rant warning

Regarding bidders reading auctions: Many don't

I had one auction where the line read:

"Anyone who wishes to bid on this item must contact me first to discuss terms- do not bid before contacting me!"

The same message was repeated several times throughout the auction description. The item was $400, I mean who the hell buys a $400 auction without reading the auction terms, I dont get it.

Same deal with international items. I tell them to email me first for shipping info and not to buy the game before emailing me. That works about 1/2 the time, I am considering USA only shipping due to the frequency of such issues.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Should also reccommend insurance. If the buyer fails to continue communicating with you I would ignore them and risk the negative feedback. i don't think PayPal will simply refund the money without communication.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Well, thanks for the advice, everyone. The guy hasn't replied to my request to test the gun in another port, or if the trigger has gone bad or anything. I spent most of the day thinking about it and depending on what he tells me, I'll take the gun and see what's up.

I'm guessing either the trigger got busted somehow, or a cable is making false contact somewhere. But I tested everything, so who knows.

Oh, most foreigners DO ask me for shipping quotes! Most of the time it's Canadians, though... even when I have Canadian shipping listed in the auction. ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try getting that to fly with PayPal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Important note about AS IS.

When using it in your auction you MUST place the words AS IS within the first TWO lines of the description for Paypal to acknowledge it. This is why you see some auctions with AS IS already in the title.

In my auctions the first line is always the name of the item in the auction followed by AS IS nice and bold. I make it loud and clear that it's AS IS from the get go.

I have NEVER lost a case to a scammer.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Try getting that to fly with PayPal
    It's worked fine for me with Paypal. I've had a couple people try to get their money back for bogus reasons and they don't. With my experiences with Paypal, as long as you can prove the package arrived and the buyer received it, the buyer isn't getting any money back. This obviously isn't the case for everyone, but it's the way it's worked for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) hayabusa_fmw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys you gotta love ebay & paypal

DON'T SALE ON EBAY USING ''PAYPAL'' ask money order only

FOR ALL YOU THAT BUYS ON AUCTION THAT DO ACCEPT PAYPAL

CLAIM EVERYTHING YOU BUY

MAYBE SOMEDAY YOU WILL WIN SOMETHING (who knows! it seems just logical with the amount of people that does it just to try to get a free item)

even if the item do work it seems like EVERYBODY CLAIMS FOR ANYTHING
    even if MINT IN BOX

ALSO: just for fun

REMEMBER YOU HAVE 45 DAYS TO CLAIM ON ANY ITEM.

THAT WOULD BLOCK THE COMPLETE AMOUNT OF THE AUCTION DURING PAYPAL'S JERK OFF SESSION OF 1 MONTH delay (FOR INVESTIGATION)

that means a auction that ends at 10 000$ you will be - 10 000 for a month or even more ^,^

WAY TO GO PAYPAL POLICY!

www.paypalsucks.com
    Last edited by hayabusa_fmw; 08-26-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa_fmw View Post
    Hey guys you gotta love ebay & paypal

DON'T SALE ON EBAY USING ''PAYPAL'' ask money order only

FOR ALL YOU THAT BUYS ON AUCTION THAT DO ACCEPT PAYPAL

CLAIM EVERYTHING YOU BUY

MAYBE SOMEDAY YOU WILL WIN SOMETHING (who knows! it seems just logical with the amount of people that does it just to try to get a free item)

even if the item do work it seems like EVERYBODY CLAIMS FOR ANYTHING
    even if MINT IN BOX

ALSO: just for fun

REMEMBER YOU HAVE 45 DAYS TO CLAIM ON ANY ITEM.

THAT WOULD BLOCK THE COMPLETE AMOUNT OF THE AUCTION DURING PAYPAL'S JERK OFF SESSION OF 1 MONTH delay (FOR INVESTIGATION)

that means a auction that ends at 10 000$ you will be - 10 000 for a month or even more ^,^

WAY TO GO PAYPAL POLICY!

www.paypalsucks.com
    HAY GUYS

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TA DO WITH MY QUESTION

NOT A FUCKING THING!

You want to bitch about PayPal? Do so somewhere else. I was asking for ADVICE on what to do, not complaints about PayPal. Sheesh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just noticed that you offered insurance. Did he pay for it? If not, I would say they must have got damaged in shipping and he didn't pay for insurance. I would aslo tell him that your auction specifiaclly states no returns. If he didn't buy insurance and you tested the guns and they worked prior to shipping then it is on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by rcgamer View Post
    I just noticed that you offered insurance. Did he pay for it? If not, I would say they must have got damaged in shipping and he didn't pay for insurance. I would aslo tell him that your auction specifiaclly states no returns. If he didn't buy insurance and you tested the guns and they worked prior to shipping then it is on him.
    He did not. Will this make a difference in a PayPal claim? I can live with a negative. Two out of 450+ isn't that bad...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcgamer View Post
    My understanding is the insurance is there to protect the SELLER not the BUYER. Even though many sellers make insurance optional, if you're selling something you can't afford to lose or refund, you (as a seller) should insure it.

If an item is damaged during shipment, all the buyer needs to do is say the item is not a described. My experience is that ebay/paypal will side with the buyer in these cases.

Now, that being said, it would take a considerable amount of mishandling to break one of these during shipment. You could ask more information about what games he's using to test it.

-frap