Thread: Parasite Eve II vs. Parasite Eve vs. Resident Evil

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Parasite Eve II vs. Parasite Eve vs. Resident Evil

Searched for a thread on this one... couldn't find it... I also looked on wikipedia and read about it... but I just picked up a copy of Parasite Eve II for $2... don't have a Playstation right now, but I wanted to know if it was worth keeping to play or would I be better off trading it for something else. I know it goes for 25-50bucks on ebay, so I guess there must be a demand for it... But honestly, up until I bought it, I didn't know there was a sequel to the original. I played that one (original PE) when I owned a PSX and was a little underwhelmed- was expecting more of an action game than an RPG... and at that time I would take Zelda over a Final Fantasy turn based game any day. Now I read that PE II is a more Resident Evil game than a RPG type game... I like RE series alright, better than the first PE (in my opinion)- but again that was quite a few years ago. So the big question... Is it worth keeping this game to eventually play or should I sell it or trade it? If you've played it let me know, and maybe make some comparisons to other games. Is the price that's being asked on ebay justify the quality of the game? If a few of you could chime in let me know... I don't see this game discussed too much, otherwise I'd just read the posts... And I know there are a lot of people that love to link to other threads, instead of answering repetitive questions... And I'd even take that. I'd rather read a discussion thread than look up a review.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 08-30-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Parasite Eve is probably one of the best series for the PSX and has one hell of a story to boot. The battles in PE2 are different mainly because they aren't turned based, meaning you won't have to run around for 10 seconds to do you next move. The battles may seem weird at first, but once you get the hang of the system, everything feels natural for the most part.

If you liked the story for the first one, the game deserves a shot, I was surprised by all the little details they put into the game stoywise.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Points well taken... thanks for weighing in... I'm staying closer to the keeping it side now. If anyone else has an opinion, keep them coming though. Like I said, didn't see another thread here on this game... or even the series, and if it is that good of a series, maybe it should have it's own thread, so feel free to discuss. All comments appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought PE 1 & 2 together from FYE years ago for $15 together, not a bad deal since GameStop was forcing $10-15 each on them at the time. To compare it against RE, they both have very similar graphics and good gameplay, plots and control. I'd suggest holding onto all of them really as I'd hate to say that one's better than the other but really both are just incredible series on the PSX.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

PE is one of my fav alternative RPGs on the system. i did not like PE2 precisely because it moved away from what PE1 established. im not a fan of the RE series so really dunno what to tell you.

PE2 is 25-50 on ebay?! that game always went for close to nothing...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking at completed listings mind you... a sealed went for 63.99...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-II-...QQcmdZViewItem

a lot go for the 20 - 40 dollar range- even "disc only" versions... On more close inspection... most of the more expensive ones had the strategy guides with them. Nevertheless a minumum I'd pay for a complete version is 25.00, and with my luck I'd pay 40 or 50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-II-...QQcmdZViewItem

Where as PE goes for about 10-15 bucks shipped, on average. Not sure what this says about the 1st... less rare? less demand? That's why I was asking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Pla...QQcmdZViewItem

Just was trying to get a general consensus... the counterpoints are very much appreciated too...
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 08-30-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

The first one got re-released near the end of the psx's life as a greatest shits verison, so that severly lowers the value where 2 never got a second release (and wasn't nearly as well recieved as the first)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I just got this the other day, as a stand alone game, its good, and for the 2 dollars u paid, u cant really fuckin complain buddy lol na, but tell the truth i think it sucks compared to the original as im a diehard rpg fan, but this should be right up ur alley, it really went to far off into the realm of resident evil for my taste, still a great game, just wanted more of the original

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, when I get a chance to play this one- I'll go back and pick up the 1st again- my tastes have matured since then- so maybe I'll enjoy it more.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really want to compare those 3, it's pretty clear that PE1 is the odd game out of the bunch, as it adheres closer to traditional RPG outlook.

PE1, mmm, for some reason I just didn't think the game was a 'refined' as number 2.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But the way I understand... there still are some RPG elements in the 2nd game- it isn't a straight RE clone is it?