Thread: Happy 20th Anniversary Mega Man/Street Fighter!! Discuss The Games/Memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy 20th Anniversary Mega Man/Street Fighter!! Discuss The Games/Memories

As of this year, both the Mega Man and street Fighter series are now 20 years old. Sure many games in each of these series may not be all that different from the previous entries, but they are still some of my fav franchises in all of gaming.

I got hooked on the Mega Man series with Mega Man 2 in the Summer of '89. Played it at a friend's house on a Sunday afternoon. He let me borrow it for a while and I've been a huge fan ever since.

My first exposure to Street Fighter was the SNES version of Street Fighter II. Until then, I'd never played or seen anything like it. Hadoken, Shoryukens, 100 Handslaps, Yoga Flames, man, what a game! Spent many afternoons trying to take down the Balrog, Vega, Sagat and Bison. Ah, good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first exposure to Street Fighter was when the local Aladdin's Castle got the machine in that week and put it right up close to the front door. I tried my hand at it, got beat the fuck down, and went off to play something else. For whatever reason, I always remember walking in and seeing it there for the first time (or at least, the first time I noticed it).

Oddly enough, I never saw a Street Fighter II machine until after I played it on SNES. Hell, I never even knew there was a Street Fighter II until the local gamestore asked if we wanted to reserve it when it came out. We put away a shit load of time in that game, that's for sure. Good times.

Mega Man was ok..I liked the graphics and music, but the game was just too damn hard. I didn't really dig the games until the second and third rolled out, both of which I completely fucking loved. I still remember the first time I beat Mega Man 2. Man, I need to fire that game up again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Mega Man. It was one of the first NES titles I ever played and the only one my buddy would let me borrow. When Mega Man 2 came out I played that game until my fingers were raw. To this day it’s one of my favorites.

The ”Jump…….Jump……Slide……Jump…..Slide……” of Mega Man 8 still gives me nightmares…

As for Street Fighter II, I was not a huge arcade player as I would always get my ass kicked. It took the SNES version to bring me into what a great game this was/is. To this day one of my favorite fighters (second only to Samurai Shodown II IMHO)

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My older brother introduced me to Street Fighter when I was about 7. I remember the local arcade had a machine with the 2 big buttons you had to punch in order to play. I loved that game and I actually got pretty good at doing the moves, but it really screwed up my young hands at the time. Very, very cool interface though.

It eventually got taken out of the arcade, and I remember coming in one day and they had street fighter 2 the world warriors. All I can say is WOW. I played this game every weekend of hours. I learned to be pretty good with all the characters and I remember first learning how to Dragon Punch (I could do every other move in the game flawlessly) from this kid a couple years older than me. He taught me that to start off just walk forward and do a fireball motion in the middle. My favorite characters were Chun-Li, Blanka, & E. Honda though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I like Rockman (Megaman) and all, celebrating "Street Fighter" is the bigger deal to me. I'll never forget the day my best friend Jeff and I first encountered the original arcade game at Diamond J's Arcade @ Westlakes Mall. Must of wasted $10.00 in tokens just trying to beat Eagle and later Adon. When Jeff managed to beat Sagat, it was like a week later and we'd blew all of our allowances. Capcom made my day when they finally released the original game to the Capcom Collection Vol. #2 Anthology for PS2, as they'd more or less forgotten about how it all began. I know ppl skeet all over SF II: The World Warrior, but to this day it's all about the original, and not to mention the whole TG-16 CD version that pissed us off to high hell when the moves were even more impossible to pull off on a two button pad versus the six button layout.

...ahh, the memories. Gone like that mall, and gone like my youth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I remember renting Mega Man 1 for the first time. By the end of that 3 days (when renting movies and games was still only for 3 days) I owned the game, I was having so much damn fun with it.

That Christmas, I got the NES Advantage controller that finally helped me beat the damn game (Thank you, pause trick! )

The only memories of Street Fighter 1, that I have are the rare occasion I actually played the game at Opryland (when it was still open).

I have alot more memories of SF2 - Street Fighter 2 reminds me of my Sophomore year of HS. After school, we'd get in our cars, drive straight to the mall, and play Street Fighter until around 8pm. And even better, this was when you could still smoke in malls... There was always a crowd outside the arcade smoking, waiting on their turn - back when it actually was halfway cool to be a mallrat... But I also remember SF2 being the first game that arcades would have more than one machine, since before the 84 crash. Our arcade in the mall had 3, our local Pizza Hut dine in had 1, and the movie theater I worked at had a SF2:CE and Super SF2.

I would ALWAYS be Blanka.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 09-01-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't play the first Mega Man until 1993. Was surprised that the artwork looked nothing like the artwork of Mega Man 3 or Mega Man 4. The Blue Bomber looked like some old man with a handgun defending some cardboard cut out backgrounds. But man, the original MM sure was a fun and challenging game. Guts Man's & Ice Man's stages in particular gave me headaches.

One time my sister beat M. Bison on the first round with Guile with a perfect. Everyone in the room was in shock because that was unheard of in my circle of friends at the time.

Mega Man 3 is my personal fav of the classic MM series. Was the first one I owned. That high jump trick was so broken! =)

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing MegaMan for the first time when I was about 5/6 yrs old. My best friend and I trekked to a neighbours place (twin girls - and very strange people) to play some Nintendo. They had the first MegaMan there, and we got pretty badly shalacked by it.

Then their older brother strutted in and almost beat the game in front of us. Couldn't quite get all the way passed the end part. I didn't play it again until years later (though I played 2 and 3) and was pretty shocked when I saw the box art. I was convinced that it wasn't the Mega Man I had played, and almost avoided picking it up until a friend showed it to me. I couldn't believe how weird the box art was.

I don't remember playing Street Fight II for the first time, it was just always around as far as my memory is concerned. What I do remember is when Super Street Fighter II came out. The same best friend and I rented it the day it arrived, and he promptly beat my ass. Over and over again. It was pretty embarrassing.

I remember meeting up with him after having lost touch for many years. We were both still huge gamers and decided to pull out Alpha. Well, let's just say the student had surpassed the master. :P
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

These are my two favorite video game series's. I'm a huge Capcom fan. I fell in love with Street Fighter II when I'd watch my older brother and his friends play and have insane matches against each other. I always wanted to be as good as them.

As for Mega Man, I first played Mega Man 3 on the Nintendo since it was the one we had. It was so hard for me back then, but I became a huge Mega Man fan. Man, I need a Mega Man shirt.