Thread: Help [Amiga CD32]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
    Vesalia has a small assortment of cheap CD32 games if you want something to start out with.
    Yep, and if you buy Syndicate from there, it comes with Alfred Chicken new in the box with it Good deal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'd never heard of that site before. I just ordered Syndicate & Alfred Chicken, Oscar & Diggers, and Workbench 3.0 CD-ROM off them. I've already purchased Heimdall 2, Fire Force, Liberation, Cannon Fodder, and Banshee elsewhere.

Now, where should I be looking for a hard drive and floppy drive that are compatible with the SX-1?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SX-1 has a normal Amiga floppy port, so just get an external Amiga floppy from Ebay. It also has an internal 2,5" IDE connector, so any laptop hard drive should do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

The SX-1 has a normal Amiga floppy port, so just get an external Amiga floppy from Ebay. It also has an internal 2,5" IDE connector, so any laptop hard drive should do.
    If you're going to go the hard drive route, and do not have WB3.9, keep in mind you should format the drive in 1GB partitions. WB3.1 can make 4GB partitions max, but they will be unstable.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I guess Commodore produced one batch of US CD32 units, warehoused them when they couldn't release them, and they just now turned up.
    Nobody is entirely sure what happened, but the rumor going around is that Commodore did release a small amount of CD32's in the United States, but due to outstanding law suits, further shipments were not allowed into the country. Eventually, Commodore went bankrupt, and their stockpiles in Asian factories and warehouses was confiscated by the government. I've never found any hard evidence to back up this story, but I haven't found anything that disproves it either. Apparently, the Canadian release went normally up until Commodore's demise... I suppose that means that Canadian units (If they are even any different) are probably more common in the wild, though units intended for the US are probably more abundant overall (it's just that they're all waiting in Asia for their chance to go on eBay).

For anyone who was still wondering, yes, all these NTSC CD32's from Chinese sellers on eBay are legit. I bought one myself, and I know several other happy owners who got theirs this way. For anyone who doesn't have one yet, this is a great chance to get one!

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well since the SX expansion units are so hard to find, how do you run Amiga Software on a CD-r?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Nobody is entirely sure what happened, but the rumor going around is that Commodore did release a small amount of CD32's in the United States, but due to outstanding law suits, further shipments were not allowed into the country. Eventually, Commodore went bankrupt, and their stockpiles in Asian factories and warehouses was confiscated by the government. I've never found any hard evidence to back up this story, but I haven't found anything that disproves it either. Apparently, the Canadian release went normally up until Commodore's demise... I suppose that means that Canadian units (If they are even any different) are probably more common in the wild, though units intended for the US are probably more abundant overall (it's just that they're all waiting in Asia for their chance to go on eBay).
    From my personal experience having been a hardcore Amiga fan while Commodore was still in business and knowing several local dealers extremely well, I can tell you that the US launch went as "normally" as the Canadian launch. Every Amiga dealer I know of in Southern California got whatever initial allotment they asked for from Commodore. Unfortunately, most of these units didn't sell and so when the bankruptcy happened, these dealers were stuck with inventory they paid around 30% below MSRP that were now worth much less than they paid for them. The story about the units being seized by the Philippine government is corroborated by at least a couple of AP stories that used to be floating on various sites. I know I printed them out at one point, but they are boxed away. How the units got moved from PI to China and who actually sold them is not something I can shed any light on. As another point of clarification, every unit I have ever seen from Canada had an FCC sticker on it as well, so I don't know that there's any way to tell the difference in the units or even if it matters much.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    If you're going to go the hard drive route, and do not have WB3.9, keep in mind you should format the drive in 1GB partitions. WB3.1 can make 4GB partitions max, but they will be unstable.
    I've never noticed anything unstable about partitions up to 4 GB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, the SX-1 arrived today. I can't really do anything with it yet, but I'm glad.

It raises more questions, though:

-- Is there anything special I need to know before attempting to add RAM? I noticed the SX-1 has a regular-looking SIMM slot inside... so I should be able to just add any SIMM RAM made for Amiga, right? What's a good amount to add?

-- Aside from the internal spot for a hard drive, there's also an external port marked "hard drive". Is this kind of external hard drive common, or is it something weird?

-- When I get a hard drive and floppy drive connected to this thing, do I need a better power supply?

-- Is there any way to upgrade or add a CPU/FPU, or is that only possible with the SX-32 Pro?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by j_factor; 09-25-2007 at 01:17 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SX-1 supports a maximum of 8 MB. Any standard 72-pin SIMM of that size will work.

The external hard drive connector is not common, since IDE drives were never meant to be connected externally.

I have no idea how much the original CD32 power supply will support. A google search should give the answer. There is a source on the net that sells heavy-duty CD32 supplies.

You can find basic info on http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I've never noticed anything unstable about partitions up to 4 GB.
    I know it depends on some of your system's factors (memory, speed, etc). If your FFS-based partition needs to be validated (ie, machine shut down during a write access in progress), it can either take an enormous amount of time or just fail out due to lack of resources.

WB 3.9 solves these issues by allowing larger, more managed partitions than 3.1. Alternatively, you can use other formats besides FFS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SX-1 supports a maximum of 8 MB. Any standard 72-pin SIMM of that size will work.
    Ah, okay. I almost bought a 16 MB; glad I didn't.

I have no idea how much the original CD32 power supply will support. A google search should give the answer. There is a source on the net that sells heavy-duty CD32 supplies.
    Well, I have the power supply right here. And it's 17W. I'm not sure how much is "left over" after the basic use of the CD32 system.

Doesn't CD32 use the same connector for the power supply as other Amigas? I've seen Amiga power supplies up to 60W.

You can find basic info on http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/
    Yep, I've been reading that site a lot lately.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    I know it depends on some of your system's factors (memory, speed, etc). If your FFS-based partition needs to be validated (ie, machine shut down during a write access in progress), it can either take an enormous amount of time or just fail out due to lack of resources.

WB 3.9 solves these issues by allowing larger, more managed partitions than 3.1. Alternatively, you can use other formats besides FFS.
    Indeed I have been using SFS ever since upgrading from a 300 MB disk.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have the power supply right here. And it's 17W. I'm not sure how much is "left over" after the basic use of the CD32 system.
    Neither do I. What you could do is take an old PC AT power supply (ATX will require some more work) and add a CD32 plug to that. That should give you enough power for almost anything.

Doesn't CD32 use the same connector for the power supply as other Amigas? I've seen Amiga power supplies up to 60W.
    No, the computers use a special "square DIN" connector while the CD32 uses a normal round DIN connector.

But as I said, there should be ready-made power supplies available, and the SX-1 should really be content with a standard CD32 supply, I've never heard anything else. But you can ask on Amiga.org if you want.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My NTSC CD32 just came in the mail today, but I'm still a little confused about the whole PAL/NTSC thing. When I put Superfrog in, the screen is off center and I can't see about the bottom half of it. But the colors are right and the picture doesn't roll. If I do the second port mouse button thing and change NTSC/PAL modes, what will I see? I'm guessing the colors will still be NTSC and I'll be able to see everything, but the screen will roll because of the 50/60hz issue.

If this is true, then I'm SOL on my current TV because it doesn't have a vertical hold. But if I hooked it up to a composite monitor with a vertical hold, would I be able to play Superfrog without any problems?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I can't make any sense of it either. I do know that I had much better luck using a monitor vs. a TV.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm beginning to think the best option is to pull an RGB signal out of the expansion port and call it a day. But then I'm stuck playing on my little 16 inch Multisync monitor from my computer desk instead of on a big TV, which sort of defeats the purpose of buying the CD32 in the first place

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do you have so awful TVs in America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if you could use a flicker fixer/scandoubler to get VGA, and then hook that up to an HDTV.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've found maybe 1 in 10 CD32 games actually work 100% on an NTSC television. Maybe 4 in 10 will run, but the bottom quarter of the screen is missing. 5 in 10 just won't boot at all or will boot but crash before loading the first level. Quite annoying. Now I know what it must feel like for people in PAL regions!

Connecting the system to an RGB will show the entire screen for games that run fine otherwise, but most games still won't work. I'm trying to get an Amiga mouse (or find what I did with my Atari ST one) so I can change the system to PAL mode. Hopefully that'll make the rest work.