Thread: revisiting some lesser known VCS games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default revisiting some lesser known VCS games

Over the weekend I did something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time; play around with some of those old VCS cartridges that I’ve never gotten around to trying out. Most of us are familiar with the popular (“good”) VCS carts, have given the legendary “bad” ones a look, and thanks to the magic of emulation we’ve even gotten to know the rare ones. But that leaves out a lot of somewhat hard to find titles that just kind of fade into the woodgrain, so to speak. So for a while I have wondered…what IS Cross Force? Survival Run? Tapeworm?

First it is worth mentioning that the Atari VCS and its games are incredibly reliable. Almost every one of these cartridges worked instantly, after not being played for who knows how many years.

OK the games:

Spitfire Attack – one of those Milton Bradley games that came packed with a special controller. I was never very interested in those controllers but I am now after playing Spitfire Attack, which is the most convincing “flight sim” style game on the VCS (yes better than Zaxxon and Radar Lock).

Bank Heist – a pretty good Pac Man style maze game that reminds me a bit of the arcade game “Thief” (it even has Thief’s siren sound down to a T). The cars look exactly like modern day SUVs…pretty weird.

Cosmic Commuter – starts out like Lunar Lander then changes to a boring Defender clone where you shoot yellow squares. The fuel indicator effect is cool but I could swear I’ve seen it in another VCS game.

Porky’s – a horrible mess of a game that actually incorporates a pole vaulting sequence. One of the worst games on the VCS.

Survival Run –MB game in which you shoot white squares with a crosshair. The white squares eventually turn into yellow blobs. I think you’re supposed to be flying through a tunnel. Not nearly as good as Spitfire Attack.

Planet Patrol – generic side scrolling shooter. Has a day to night progression like Enduro. And you refuel occasionally which I guess is kinda cool.

Fast Food - “food” flies around the screen and you may eat everything except the purple pickles. If you eat too many purple pickles you will see text reading “BURP”. When you complete a level text reads “YOU’RE GETTING FATTER” which is apparently a good thing. The graphics of the fast food are well done and you will easily tell the difference between a hamburger and a milkshake. The text looks rather nice for a VCS game.

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes – shoot stuff in this boring and ugly game. Green things shoot at you from the bottom and you cannot shoot them back. I HATE THAT. The closest thing to this that you may have played before is Activision’s Plaque Attack. What the thing is you are supposed to be shooting with I have no idea.

The Earth Dies Screaming – nice looking “crosshairs” game. I had a Vic 20 game that was exactly like this one but I can’t think of the name of it for the life of me.

Deadly Duck – lame Space Invaders style game in which some things drop obstacles that hinder your movement. In the second level insects of some kind appear and make the game worse. Your duck is not very deadly, and it takes forever to destroy the last alien in a wave. Weak. Graphics are decent.

Cosmic Creeps – starts out with a Frogger like sequence in which your skater dude must reach the top of the screen, then turns into a typical shoot the aliens game. Very nice graphics, especially the space ship at the top! Forgettable otherwise.

Tapeworm – this is that game I swear I’ve played before where you pick up new pieces of your “snake” until it becomes hard to manage. I think I played it on a Mac or something, and it’s often featured on those cheap Tetris handhelds. Actually a pretty addicting game, but very poor graphics.

Gremlins- lousy game that is part Kaboom, part shooter, and all frustrating. Very poor quality for a first party title. Really should have been a paddle game, but I guess then it would have been too much like Kaboom to keep Atari out of court with Activision.

Sub Scan – you are in a boat at the top of the screen and you drop bombs on the subs below. The bombs fall very slowly so you must time your shots accurately. Nice looking but very slooowww…needs aliens or something.

Cross Force – Shoot stuff on your Atari VCS, this time with a laser that crosses in between your cursors at the top and bottom of the screen. Are the graphics in this game supposed to be so jumpy? Maybe my cart is PAL…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Fast Food - “food” flies around the screen and you may eat everything except the purple pickles. If you eat too many purple pickles you will see text reading “BURP”. When you complete a level text reads “YOU’RE GETTING FATTER” which is apparently a good thing. The graphics of the fast food are well done and you will easily tell the difference between a hamburger and a milkshake. The text looks rather nice for a VCS game.
    This is in my VCS top 5. I love it. One of the reasons I still have a VCS around. This game is the shit.

Gremlins- lousy game that is part Kaboom, part shooter, and all frustrating. Very poor quality for a first party title. Really should have been a paddle game, but I guess then it would have been too much like Kaboom to keep Atari out of court with Activision.
    And this game is just shit.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    This is in my VCS top 5. I love it. One of the reasons I still have a VCS around. This game is the shit.
    I agree. Fast Food is a great game. It really lives up to its name when you get further into it, the game speed ramps up quite a bit. Somehow I ended up with that when I was a lot younger and always loved it on the 2600. I also got a homebrew version of that game which runs on one of my NES emulators.

Cosmic Creeps is all right, too.

Over the weekend I did something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time; play around with some of those old VCS cartridges that I’ve never gotten around to trying out.
    How many more such games do you have to try out on the 2600?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    How many more such games do you have to try out on the 2600?
    I doubt there are many more games that I've never played. Maybe a dozen or so. Of course I'm talking pre-crash commercial USA releases, not imports and homebrews and stuff like that.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my favorite VCS games was Ghost Manor. A few years latter I was introduced to Castlevania and I haven't looked back. I should fire up Stella and see how well it holds up now. Have you given that one a go Ice?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is quick step a lesser known game? I don't hear too much about it but they always sell on AU eBay no problem so it can't be that unknown. it's a really good 2P simultaneous game (one of the best IMO) which is rare for the 2600.
    Last edited by Shrooin; 09-04-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quick Step is a standby for the NAVA competitions. I know I've played Ghost Manor because when I was a kid I had that double ender (it was with Spike's Peak? Chuck Norris?) I don't remember it though, I'll have to give it a try again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTE=Kid Ice;1240279]Gremlins- lousy game that is part Kaboom, part shooter, and all frustrating. Very poor quality for a first party title. Really should have been a paddle game, but I guess then it would have been too much like Kaboom to keep Atari out of court with Activision.QUOTE]

If you ever get a chance, play Gremlins for the 5200. It's a much better, much different game that actually stays fairly faithful to the movie. Very hard to find, though.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gremlins- lousy game that is part Kaboom, part shooter, and all frustrating. Very poor quality for a first party title. Really should have been a paddle game, but I guess then it would have been too much like Kaboom to keep Atari out of court with Activision.…

It's doubtful this lawsuit would have seen the light of day since Activision ripped off Atari's Avalanche.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    One of my favorite VCS games was Ghost Manor. A few years latter I was introduced to Castlevania and I haven't looked back. I should fire up Stella and see how well it holds up now. Have you given that one a go Ice?
    I played and replayed the HECK out of Ghost Manor. I love that game. Definitely one of my favorites, though to be honest it's been a couple years. I need to pop that in again soon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Porky’s – a horrible mess of a game that actually incorporates a pole vaulting sequence. One of the worst games on the VCS.
    The funny thing is that my dad remembers this, but not Adventure (He never knew of it until I mentioned it recently). Anyway, another lesser known 2600 games:

Star Fox - Plain awful game, with awkward controlls and mediocre gameplay. No barrel rolls here.
    Last edited by PentiumMMX; 09-05-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post

Star Fox - Plain awful game, with awkward controlls and mediocre gameplay. No barrel rolls here.
    Yeah, Star Fox is on my list of games that are so bad, almost every VCS player has tried them.