Thread: Anyone have early issues of EGM?

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone have early issues of EGM?

I've just found a mention of a previously unheard of Master System game - James Bond 007: Countdown to Meltdown. Heres the forum I found it on: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=707

Apparently it was featured in an early EGM magazine:

"The game was briefly mentioned in one of the very first issues of the "Gaming Gossip" column in Electronic Gaming Monthly (issue 2 or 3?)."

Does anyone have these early magazines to check this?, it would be great to know for sure, thanks guys.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the first three issues, so I can check on it if it really is in 2 or 3. I don't have issues 4, though, or any other issues until #9, so if the original poster isn't remembering the issue right, I might not have it.

I seem to recall hearing something or other about another James Bond Master System game somewhere, too, though, so maybe I do have the issue in question.

...word is bondage...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a few early issues - 1989 and 1990 buyer's guides, and a few others but I don't recall which ones. That's a cool find - I'll check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any chance that is an early title for James Bond: The Duel which was released in Europe?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Well, I checked issue #3, and there's no mention of the game. Though there is a nice two-page spread about the upcoming Konix Multisystem! I'm looking forward to that one!

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikesides View Post
    Is there any chance that is an early title for James Bond: The Duel which was released in Europe?
    Nope, The Duel was released in 1993 by Domark, this game was apparently in development by Asolute Entertainment - who made R.C Grand Prix for Master System, so it makes sense that they would have another game planned.

Hopefully someone can find it in the magazines, I'd love to find out more about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to check my magazines last night.

I doubt there would actually be more info, though. Knowing that Gaming Gossip column, it probably just says something like "...don't quote the old Q-Mann on this one but word on the streets is Absolute is bringing that smooth ladies man James Bond 007 to our fair Master System with a game titled Countdown to Meltdown! Sounds like it's gonna be a real blast..."

Actually, it probably wouldn't even be that detailed.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by QUARTERMANN
    ...In other licensing news, Absolute has soured on the idea of a Sega Master System adventure featuring James Bond (working title was James Bond 007: Countdown to Meltdown!). Oh well, there goes any hope of the "Shaken, not stirred" power-up!...
    Oh, Q-Mann, you were such a wit.

That comes from issue 4, by the way. It seems that I do have 4, but not 2. Maybe he originally mentioned the game in issue 2 and then updated with its cencellation in 4. Either way, it doesn't sound like it was very far into development. Maybe not even begun.

Oh, and I hate to have to break it to you Ze_ro, but issue 4 also has the news that the release of the Konix Multisystem has been pushed back to late 1989 or even early 1990, so it sounds like you'll be waiting a bit longer.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 09-05-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the first 10 or so issues. I think there in the attic though....I'll take a look tomorro.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Oh, and I hate to have to break it to you Ze_ro, but issue 4 also has the news that the release of the Konix Multisystem has been pushed back to late 1989 or even early 1990, so it sounds like you'll be waiting a bit longer.

Boy, 1990 can't get here fast enough!

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's not forget Jeff Minter is assisting on the project. It will surely be a killer piece of silicon.
    CCJVQ Member ( Quebec's videogaming club)
    10 years of gaming in Quebec and beyond!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"That comes from issue 4, by the way. It seems that I do have 4, but not 2. Maybe he originally mentioned the game in issue 2 and then updated with its cencellation in 4. Either way, it doesn't sound like it was very far into development. Maybe not even begun."

Developers don't tend to announce a game unless they have started work on it. Can anyone with issues 1 or 2 of the magazine check them for mention of the game?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrewyrm View Post
    Let's not forget Jeff Minter is assisting on the project. It will surely be a killer piece of silicon.
    The only person in the world who has managed to work on both the Konix, the Panther and the Nuon.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration View Post
    Developers don't tend to announce a game unless they have started work on it.
    This is the opposite of true, especially in the old days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration View Post
    "That comes from issue 4, by the way. It seems that I do have 4, but not 2. Maybe he originally mentioned the game in issue 2 and then updated with its cencellation in 4. Either way, it doesn't sound like it was very far into development. Maybe not even begun."

Developers don't tend to announce a game unless they have started work on it. Can anyone with issues 1 or 2 of the magazine check them for mention of the game?
    Sorry for bringing back such a dead thread, but I was just googling for more info on James Bond: Countdown to Meltdown myself, and stumbled across this. There were no other mentions of this game in issues 1-3 of EGM.

It's funny, because back when Sega gave free gameplay tips and solicited consumer feedback for new products at their 1-800-USA-SEGA line, I would call in... weekly... and request a James Bond game. Being a young kid whose favorite things in life were his Sega Master System and James Bond, with a toll-free number and not much else to do, I did this for an entire summer. Months later I read the same blurb in EGM, that Absolute had actually put a James Bond game into production but cancelled. It was devastating, but I've always wondered if it was my constant calling that got the game green-lit in the first place.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by kurtori View Post
    Sorry for bringing back such a dead thread, but I was just googling for more info on James Bond: Countdown to Meltdown myself, and stumbled across this. There were no other mentions of this game in issues 1-3 of EGM.

It's funny, because back when Sega gave free gameplay tips and solicited consumer feedback for new products at their 1-800-USA-SEGA line, I would call in... weekly... and request a James Bond game. Being a young kid whose favorite things in life were his Sega Master System and James Bond, with a toll-free number and not much else to do, I did this for an entire summer. Months later I read the same blurb in EGM, that Absolute had actually put a James Bond game into production but cancelled. It was devastating, but I've always wondered if it was my constant calling that got the game green-lit in the first place.
    "Sir we've gotten 50 requests for a James Bond game..."
    "Must be a trend. Quick cash in!"

later...

"Sir, there's been a mistake. Turns out those 50 Bond requests were all made from one number."
    "...shit."

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone is looking to sell EGMs 1-8, shoot me a PM. I've nearly got a complete collection. Only missing 1-8, 14, and some from 2007-Jan 09.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi! Here's another bump with actual info, from the July 1989 issue of Video Games & Computer Entertianment:

"Their other game, James Bond 007 - Countdown to Meltdown, takes the world-famous secret agent around the globe in an attempt to prevent a nuclear accident from contaminating the Earth's water supply. Scaramanga, one of Bond's fiercest adversaries, has created a puzzle for Bond to solve; if 007 isn't successful, the reactor will overheat and cause a meltdown."

EDIT: Also, sell your magazines to me instead of the guy above me. I go through them and post info, like this.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well!

I still need issues 1-8. Think I've got the rest except for some 2008 issues.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    Well!

I still need issues 1-8. Think I've got the rest except for some 2008 issues.
    If you get desperate I have a spare #5 in terrible shape, I might hold onto it for trades though.