Thread: Questions about getting my PS2 online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions about getting my PS2 online

Just bought a PS2 Network Adaptor today and I'm a bit confused by the set-up process since I'm a total idiot with this sort of thing. Couldn't even get my friggin' Dreamcast online when the network was up. Was hoping I could get some tips here.

I subscribe to AT&T Broadband (think they just changed to Comcast), so Im using a cable modem on my computer. To get the PS2 online, do I have to connect the PS2 network adaptor directly to the cabel modem box on my Mac? I don't have an extra "line out" port on my modem box, so will I have to disconnect it from the computer every time I want to use it with the PS2? The instruction manual says something about connecting with a network cable, but Im not sure if that applys to me. x_x

Also, my PS2 is downstairs and my Mac is up, so I figgure I'm going to need at least 15ft. of cable to connect the two. Is there a specific type of cable I need to get? I hear that it can be VERY expensive. If this is the case, should I just try to hook it up with a dial-up connection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that they are pacrtically GIVING PS2 newtwork adaptors away at Media Play. They have a special offer for the enitre month April where you get one free if you purchase Everquest Adventures Online for $19.95. Im just going to eBay my copy and put the money towards a PS2 game I actually want.

They also have the "buy 2 PS2 games, get a 3rd free" sale there as well....

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You just need a long ethernet cable (maybe $20-30) and IF YOU WANT, a router, to make it so that you can play PS2 online and use computer at the same time...that is what I use, just plug the ethernet cable into the back of the Network adaptor where you peel the sticker off, plug it in, run the startup disk, and test the connection, and you should be good to go.

By the way, if you have the adaptor already GET EVERQUEST ONLINE ADVENTURES, it pwns, I am tarast 18th level monk on Castle Lightwolf server....
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, and by the way, dont ebay your copy, god knw the ebay market is FLOODED with EQOA games and Network adaptos, type in "everquest online adventures" and network adaptor and see what I mean..
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a ton for the help, Starcade. I'll pick up that gear tomorrow so hopefully I'll be online with the PS2 soon.

By the way, how is Everquest Adventures Online? I was planning on getting rid of it, but if it's half-way decent, maybe I'll keep it. How much does it cost to play each month, anyway?