Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo Geo AES Questions.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo AES Questions.

Alright I know very little about the Neo Geo AES console but I'm interested in shelling out alotta dough-flow to pick one up and start collecting. Anyway here's what I think I know, if any of it is wrong please correct me.
    1. The Neo Geo AES is the home console correct?
    2. The games are expensive correct?
    3. In the online rarity guide for example it says Metal Slug Complete is R9 and worth $999, but in the description it says "The MVS version of this game (loose) is $50/R3." So my question is what is the MVS version? Is it a different cartridge I can play in the Neo Geo AES?
    4. What is the average cost of a Neo Geo AES game complete?
    5. Where should I look to buy a Neo Geo AES?
    6. Does it use memory cards?
    7. Is the Neo Geo AES worth collecting for?
    8. What are some of the better games for the AES?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85 View Post
    Alright I know very little about the Neo Geo AES console but I'm interested in shelling out alotta dough-flow to pick one up and start collecting. Anyway here's what I think I know, if any of it is wrong please correct me.
    1. The Neo Geo AES is the home console correct?
    2. The games are expensive correct?
    3. In the online rarity guide for example it says Metal Slug Complete is R9 and worth $999, but in the description it says "The MVS version of this game (loose) is $50/R3." So my question is what is the MVS version? Is it a different cartridge I can play in the Neo Geo AES?
    4. What is the average cost of a Neo Geo AES game complete?
    5. Where should I look to buy a Neo Geo AES?
    6. Does it use memory cards?
    1. Yes
    2. AES, yes. MVS (Arcade), not so much
    3. It's the arcade cart that plugs into an MVS motherboard. You can, however, use an adapter like the Phantom-1 (costs around $200) to play MVS carts on an AES home system
    4. It varies a lot. A number of the early launch games sell for around $50, but newer games released after 2000 can costs hundreds.
    5. Neo-Geo.com Marketplace forums
    6. Yes, but they're not really useful. Ex: save what stage you were on in a fighting game
    7. No, unless you don't mind spending a fortune. The better route is a AES + adapter + loose MVS carts, or a consolized MVS board/supergun setup
    8. There's lots of great games. KOFs, Samurai Showdowns, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Metal Slug series, Bust A Move/Again, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's some more questions after reading a response

1. Whats the average cost of the AES console?
    2. The MVS arcade board, can you hook that up to a TV to play like a normal console.
    3. Would I get the Phantom1 adapter at the same place you suggested to get the AES console.

Here's what I think I'll end up doing. Buy a Neo Geo AES console, and a Phantom1 adapter and just buy MVS carts to play. Just to get a small collection going and have some variety, then as time goes on pick up the expensive AES games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Memory Cards are very worth it.

Other than that...

Only if you have an INSANE amount of cash lying around. With some carts going for $500 - $1000, when you can get the same game in the loose Arcade MVS cart for like $30 to $40, it's way better to just collect loose MVS.

I was about 25+ AES carts in when i was a teenager (my local mom and pop place charged nuthin' for 'em), and then sold them off when I realized it'd be costing me hundreds to just play another fighting game.

I was all over MVS collecting, but with Virtual Console bringing them home, even the $30 MVS carts are now looking 'eh' compared to $9 VC versions.

I'd still love all of the MVS carts though >_<

- Samurai Shodown 1,2,3,4, with 2 being the best play and 4 being the most gore
    - Art of Fighting III
    - Ninja Commandos (button mashing extreme)
    - Metal Slug anything
    - King of Fighters 94, 95, 98
    - Top Hunter
    - Puzzle De Pon
    - Magical Drop (just watch out for Katchoo...she'll whomp on you o_O;
    - Mutation Nation
    - Fatal Fury Special
    - FF Real Bout 2 (one of the best combo animation styles ever)
    - Baseball Stars 2
    - League Bowling
    - Pulstar (R-Type in a fresh coat of paint)
    - Panic Bomberman (odd puzzle game)

Just to name a few...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85 View Post
    Here's some more questions after reading a response

2. The MVS arcade board, can you hook that up to a TV to play like a normal console.
    3. Would I get the Phantom1 adapter at the same place you suggested to get the AES console.

Here's what I think I'll end up doing. Buy a Neo Geo AES console, and a Phantom1 adapter and just buy MVS carts to play. Just to get a small collection going and have some variety, then as time goes on pick up the expensive AES games.
    1. Around $200-300 for the average console depending on condition, whether it has the box, etc. Systems can go up to $500 if they have mods like component, s-video, stereo jacks, debug BIOS.
    2. An average arcade board, no. But people consolize them to add video out jacks and a power supply so you can hook it up and play it like a "normal" console.

If you want to play both formats, get an AES, and it would be a good idea to get a loaded one with all extras like component and debug BIOS. There's actually a newer AES-MVS adapter than the Phantom-1, you might want to look into that, too.

That setup will probably cost you in the $600 range I'm guessing. A consolized system will be at least a few hundred less, but you won't have the option to play and collect both formats. Hope that helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the answers and advice. I'm going to start looking into buying one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Usually $180 to $400 depending on whats with it / any modding

The MVS arcade board, can you hook that up to a TV to play like a normal console.

Only if it has been consolized - meaning ports / TV out / and something else are modded to it.

Yes, it's about $250...if you shop around ebay, or on the neo-geo forums, you can sometimes get one for cheaper. I snagged mine for about $150 and love it like a long lost girlfriend. It needs to be babied slightly, but just make sure you get the blue board version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a “consolized” MVS…with the Neo it’s the only way to go. I got mine from this guy here:

http://www.neotropolis.net/33465.html

OR, you can buy a generic MVS board and a supergun from this guy here:

http://www.multimods.com/

Either way you’ll spend a bit more $$ now and save HUGE $$ later. I sold my AES and games to get a MVS collection started. Since then I’ve gained quite the collection of games that for the AES, would have cost me a fortune.

On top of that, you can purchase a “shock box” for your MVS cart and with some professionally printed labels, have one hell of a nice display.

Shock Box with insert

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Smokehouse.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just listed one today with buy it now option:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=002

awesome bundle,

cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only games really worth owning:

Metal Slugs 1 - 5 & X
    Last Blade 1 & 2
    King of Fighters '98 & '02/'03
    Garou: MotW
    Blazing Star
    Pulstar
    Shock Troopers
    Sengoku Legends 2001
    Windjammers
    Matrimelee

There's a couple of others like Rage of the Dragons and Viewpoint that I enjoy, but you're already on several thousand dollars so far for these on AES.

Yes, the AES is an awesome machine to behold but it's really gonna cost you. Fair enough if you have the best part of $10k to throw around, but you'll never get the money back. Especially if you dare to actually play those games and get insertion marks on that $3k copy of Metal Slug.

Just consolize an MVS board, get a UniBIOS and enjoy cheap Neo Geo gaming. If you really wanna spend some cash and get something impressive go for an Arcade Cab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Just consolize an MVS board, get a UniBIOS and enjoy cheap Neo Geo gaming. If you really wanna spend some cash and get something impressive go for an Arcade Cab.

Oh yeah...UniBIOS FTW...Like a built in Game Genie but better...

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

When it comes to NeoGeo stuff, I recommend sticking to emulation. No matter what way you go about attempting to collect NeoGeo stuff, it's pretty much guaranteed to get messy and/or expensive.

If you go the MVS route, then you're stuck with a relatively ugly consolized MVS or a full-size arcade machine (which is pretty cool, but not necessarily practical), and you're also stuck with ugly cartridges (shockboxes are nice, but pricey if you have a large collection, and it still leaves you with cartridges that look like ass).

If you go the AES route, things look amazingly professional, but you're stuck paying through the nose for everything... and that's assuming you can find what you want, since a number of games never made it to AES.

I've gone the AES route, but with the addition of a Phantom-1 converter to play MVS games. I paid something like $240 for the converter, but then I can cheap out and get the MVS versions of the super-expensive games, and the AES versions of the more easily attainable ones. Sort of the best of both worlds I guess, though I'm still stuck with a stack of ugly MVS cartridges.

Also, if you get really deep into the NeoGeo scene, there's a lot of drama... there's also a lot of other BS like converted cartridges and other types of fraud to worry about. Unless you really really love the system, I think you're better off just buying yourself a nice arcade stick and playing the games on your PC with an emulator instead. You avoid all the problem inherent in the situation.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright thanks again for all the help and advice. Some time next week I'll be geting a laaaarge lump some of inheritance money from my grandfather that recently passed away. It's a very large amount of dough flow becuase his only daughter (My mother) passed away in January, 2007 because of medical complications so all his properties, and money got split between my brother and me. So I figured since I'm set for a long while I might as well pick up a Neo Geo AES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I realy avoid the phantom 1 since it suffers from compatibility issue.

If you go the AES route and you wanna play mvs carts on it.

Then i suggest this converter instead.
    Super MVS Converter II
    http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1178

It has a better track record then what the p1 has from,what i've herd about it.

Btw..i own a aes once as well and i had a p1 too and i found it to be junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I realy avoid the phantom 1 since it suffers from compatibility issue.

If you go the AES route and you wanna play mvs carts on it.

Then i suggest this converter instead.
    Super MVS Converter II
    http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1178

It has a better track record then what the p1 has from,what i've herd about it.

Btw..i own a aes once as well and i had a p1 too and i found it to be junk.
    I think it has something to do with the boards, I had a P1 for over 3 years and its work flawlessly so far, I think they are only 3/4 games that cant be played on it. I like the AES P1 route, I like the look of the AES and its carts, and whenever I feel like some MOTW or Slugs the P1 is there for me.

ps my is modded with component out and bios chip

JS

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmmm...

I've looked at AES units in the past and asked similar questions. One thing not mentioned that came up then (which these others may be able to debunk) is that you want a unit with an early production numer (under 100,00 or something) because it had superior video output. Not sure this is true or significant but thought I give a heads up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I've looked at AES units in the past and asked similar questions. One thing not mentioned that came up then (which these others may be able to debunk) is that you want a unit with an early production numer (under 100,00 or something) because it had superior video output. Not sure this is true or significant but thought I give a heads up.
    The video issue with earlier version AES boards is negated if you get the system modified for S-Video, component, etc. If you are sticking with composite (no mod) the newer boards (serial 150 000 +)have better composite video output than the early boards.

This Phantom stuff Vs MVS converter is rife with ignorance. Most people can only test with what they have, and are unable to test the same converter and games on multiple AES's.

We have done tests like that with the Phantom-1, and have generally discovered that the Phantom-1 is great for all but the last 7 or 8 releases on MVS. However, if you have a high serialled AES (serial 80 000 and up) you can expect artifacting with the Phantom-1 on MVS games with scaling features, like Samurai Shodown. My personal AES is low serialled, so the Phantom just works. However, those with a high serialled AES who have a Phantom-1 should simply get the scaling games on AES instead of MVS. Fortunately, most of them (like Samurai Shodown series) are not pricey games.

FYI, every NEO GEO AES OSG modifies or services gets a free Phantom-1 compatibility report.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had an AES...overpriced and overhyped for the most part. Ya it has nice and colorfull graphics and effects, but for the most part the games resemble 16-bit games from the early to mid 90's. A lot of the games are really basic as they are all arcade games. Most of the games are insanely difficult and just plain not very fun. Ya you can use the memory card to save at any location, but dying every few minutes isn't my idea of fun. Maybe with tons of practice it wouldn't be that way but I myself don't want to invest that kind of time in a game. :/ Not making money playing games... Oh and Barbarian, prepared to be floored by the size of the AES console in person and even moreso with the carts. They are way bigger in person than you'd imagine them to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post

Here is what I like to say to someone considering to purchase an AES.
    1. What kind of games do you like? Neo Geo is vastly 2d vs. fighting games.
    2. Many of those fighting games are available on other platforms (ie DC, PS2, Xbox)
    3. It costs money. More than most other platforms.
    4. Who will be playing with you? Neo Geo is best with 2 players.

Neo Geo AES USA is really the worst way to go about playing Neo Geo. The price doesn't make cents.
    I had posted this in the last Neo Geo topic.