Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese vs. U.S. games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All hail glorious almighty Nihon

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that game shops in Japan won't buy used games if there are obvious blemishes. I got most of the Famicom collection I built up from flea markets, and yes, there are quite a lot of Japanese people who abuse their games there...

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fennec fox View Post
    All hail glorious almighty Nihon

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that game shops in Japan won't buy used games if there are obvious blemishes. I got most of the Famicom collection I built up from flea markets, and yes, there are quite a lot of Japanese people who abuse their games there...
    Flea markets in japan is another story. I cannot comment on them because I have never been to one. I can only tell you what I see in their used game shops compared to what I see in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard back today from my friend in Korea. He said that he has seen his share of dog-eared games in bargain bins. Also he was telling me a little about the UV machines that they use. They are small and are generally used to sterilize things like cups. He said that he can get me more info if I wanted.

JY

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    I heard back today from my friend in Korea. He said that he has seen his share of dog-eared games in bargain bins. Also he was telling me a little about the UV machines that they use. They are small and are generally used to sterilize things like cups. He said that he can get me more info if I wanted.

JY

I can't comment on Korea, I can only comment on Japan. What I can tell you is that even the Japanese bargain crap looks better than most used US games at your local Game Stop store.

and that is just plain sickening....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Isn't it semi-illegal to resell video games in Japan?

Seriously.
    No, I think it is indeed for old game systems because of their using of old AC adapters that could cause electrical trouble.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

ive been to japan, and everything second hand there is almost as mint as new. in addition, all stores that sell second hand goods give large discounts if something is wrong with the item ie: the box dented? -xx% manual wrinkled? -xx% cd smudged... etc etc. ive gotten stuff that wasnt perfect and got huge discount on it and yet it still looked better than anything ive ever seen here in gamestop.

so yes, japanese take care of their possessions a lot better than people in america do. maybe its attributed to the way they approach and honor their household and understand the value of money?

also id like to add that no one in japan will EVER accept a tip from you, whether its a taxi ride or a meal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    No, I think it is indeed for old game systems because of their using of old AC adapters that could cause electrical trouble.
    I'm not so sure about that; I've bought a few consoles here in Japan that came with an A/C adaptor, but usually used consoles and A/C adaptors are sold seperately. It's not really a problem for the big-name consoles, but I don't think I'll ever get my sweet Neo-Geo CDZ working since it came with no power cord :/

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    ive been to japan, and everything second hand there is almost as mint as new. in addition, all stores that sell second hand goods give large discounts if something is wrong with the item ie: the box dented? -xx% manual wrinkled? -xx% cd smudged... etc etc. ive gotten stuff that wasnt perfect and got huge discount on it and yet it still looked better than anything ive ever seen here in gamestop.

so yes, japanese take care of their possessions a lot better than people in america do. maybe its attributed to the way they approach and honor their household and understand the value of money?

also id like to add that no one in japan will EVER accept a tip from you, whether its a taxi ride or a meal.

I second this and agree with you. I only wish Americans had the same values that the Japanese had! It's just sad...

A good friend of mine used to always say if you want to know the character of a man, look at the condition of the things he values. It could be what he has or something even on par with what he collects. I truly agree with this.

Time and time again, the people I find myself drawn to and want to be around, both in business and in my personal life, know how to treat items they come in contact with in everyday life...
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-24-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

No one has brought up the fact that Saturn US games came in retarted huge boxes that break at the hinges. Plus the disc falls out because of the one inch gap and rattles around. Also, the manuals are big and bulky therefore there is more to damage.

Plus people in the US are hard on their shit!
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader View Post
    Your last part says it all. That is what is UNACCEPTABLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader View Post
    No one has brought up the fact that Saturn US games came in retarted huge boxes that break at the hinges. Plus the disc falls out because of the one inch gap and rattles around. Also, the manuals are big and bulky therefore there is more to damage.

The reasons that you state in the first part of your post aren't the true problem. I haven't had any problems with Saturn stuff if it is handled properly. The true problem is the second part of your post.

Any packaging can be destroyed if abused and most packaging will hold up fine if treated properly. The Sega CD used the same type cases, but at least they came with a little foam block to help hold the disk on the spindle.

JY

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    The reasons that you state in the first part of your post aren't the true problem. I haven't had any problems with Saturn stuff if it is handled properly. The true problem is the second part of your post.

Any packaging can be destroyed if abused and most packaging will hold up fine if treated properly. The Sega CD used the same type cases, but at least they came with a little foam block to help hold the disk on the spindle.

JY

Thank you! I agree completely! It goes back to the individual person, not the packaging! I am still finding Super NES and Turbo Grafx games with boxes in MINT condition (much like all of mine-bought and kept mint from the day I purchased them).