Thread: NES Powerpak saveing question

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Powerpak saveing question

I just got my NES powerpak today and i'm pretty impressed. probibly the easiest to use and most user friendly overall flash device i've used thus far.

i do have a question about the saveing ability though. like how does it work? I assume from the readings and toying with it it doesn't save like an emulator would with save states. now my genesis flash cart you just save where you would save in the acual game and it works this way but is the powerpak like that or diffrent?

can i save anywhere on this thing or can I only save at save points that are in the acual game. also do I have to save useing the "press reset" and save at the battery screen every time i save?

I was also happy when i found it was compatable with Sweet Home but when i hit reset just to try it out it didn't go to the "battery save" screen and just reset. does Sweet Home use a password system instead?

all help appriciated, thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

noone knows? i found the save feature in the game but when it tells me to hit reset it just....resets.

i'm just curious if its something i'm doing wrong or is it a problem with the cart just not fully supporting the game yet.

when i het reset for other games with a save feature like crystalis it works takes me to the "save to battery" screen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can only save at save points in the game. It doesn't work like an emulator. I'm not sitting in front of it, so I don't remember exactly how it works. You need to have save files premade for it though. The instruction book explains it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PowerPak doesn't have real-time saving, only battery-RAM saving for NES games that originally had battery back-up. As always, the instruction manual contains this information, but the short story is: After you have played and saved your game, press reset, and the PowerPak menu should now prompt you to save the current back-up file to a SAV file on the CF card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yhep, but for some reason on Sweet Home i don't get the prompt after hitting reset even though the game has a save feature. thats why i'm wondering if its just a problem with the game not being fully supported

how do you know wether to you the 8kb empty save files or the 32kb? or doesn't it matter

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You have to make a save file for the game and put it on the flash cart. Did you evenread the manual?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    You have to make a save file for the game and put it on the flash cart. Did you evenread the manual?

-Rob
    yes. twice.

which i did do. i downloaded the empty files off retogamer. there are 2 types 8kb and 32kb but what i'm asking is why I'm haveing trouble with a specific game and if its just seems to be me or the game

the specific game is Sweet Home, english translated. the game obviously has a save feature but when i hit reset after I save in the game it does not take me to the screen the other games take me to when they have a save feature and you hit reset.

thats why i'm asking if anyone knows if there is a saveing problem specificly with Sweet Home english translated rom on this thing.

the manual as well as the page as far as i can find fails to explain when you should save to the 8kb .sav file or the 32kb .sav file. if there even is a diffrence. i can figure it out through just experimenting but i though i could just ask and find out easily.
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 09-15-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have 1.10 or later mapper pack then you have to hold the reset for 3 secounds. Works like a charm when I am playing Earthbound 0.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

you might wnat to check your rom as well, make sure the rom is set to have save ram (sometimes when a rom was dumped they forgot to set that the game has sram in the header)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    you might wnat to check your rom as well, make sure the rom is set to have save ram (sometimes when a rom was dumped they forgot to set that the game has sram in the header)
    yhep, that was the problem. fixed it with a header editor and it works fine now

thanks alot