This story was inspired by the "pawn shop rant" thread in the modern gaming board. I had completely forgotten this story until reading that and it brought back a good laugh. Thanks to the guy who posted it!

Flea Market

Growing up, my best friend and I frequented a store in a local flea market because they had an amazing selection of NES games. However the owner (we used the call her the garbage lady) took advantage of us kids. She would get huge lots by garage sale shopping and then turn those games around for marked up prices. There were two categories for loose NES carts $5 and $8. No budging on the price, and no bulk discounts. She also had a few pirate multi carts at insane prices such as $300-500. Back then we were amazed that you could fit so many games in one cart and were saving up to one day be able to buy that. Luckily, our money attention span didn't allow us to save up for that much.

Fast forward 8 years, I came across a junk box on ebay of random games: NES, Genesis, Atari. It was cheap ($8.50) and I wasn't sure what I was going to get. Well, in that box I got a couple NES multi carts. Nostalgia kicked in and I laughed at my naiveness of almost spending $400 on one of those when actually they are worthless.

So I couldn't resist. I called my friend and we went back to see the garbage lady. We browsed around like we used to and then I took the multi cart out of my pocket. She took a good look and said: "I'll give you $120 cash for that". So I bargained up to $150 and made the sale. When we walked away, I never laughed so hard in my life! Ahh it is good to get people back at their own game.

Jeremy