Thread: Dreamcast disc reading issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast disc reading issues.

I've already done a lot of searching before posting. It seems any post anywhere with a similar problem to mine doesn't get answered or someone automatically assumes it's the reset problem.

My system is a black Sega Sports Dreamcast MFG August 2000.

I played it about 6 months ago for many hours, and I recently got a keyboard, mouse, and lightgun and wanted to play House/Typing of the Dead.

I busted everything out, and first thing I did was put in Shenmue, you know, for memories.

I put the disc in, turn it on, the bios logo shows, then it hangs for a few minutes and goes to the bios menu, or it just hangs. If it does get to the bios menu, if I pick "PLAY" it tells me to insert game disc.

I tried all 3 discs and the passport a few times, and nothing. Spins up then the same thing happens.

So, then I tried Skies of Arcadia, and same deal.

I also tried a backup (one written 8x DAO, one written 8x TAO and one written 8x RAW DAO), and same problems.

After getting frustrated, I figured it was just the laser, no problem. Pot tweak! Well, after 2 hours, no results.

I'm getting very frustrated. Very very frustrated.

Thinking of dropping it off for OSG repair, but before I do that, I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

THANKS.
    *sigh*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Did you clean the laser eye before screwing with the POT? Could just be dusty you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, indeedily I did.

I've now also tested it with music CDs, which is does play. I've also fully disassembled, cleaned, and reseated everything.

The most I can get out of it is the Sega logo on my most scratched disc 1/10 of the times I try it.

*sigh* The sad part is that it's in extremely good condition too.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend of mine has a similar problem. Sometimes it will take a very long time to load a game, and eventually it will just go back to the browser as if it's playing a music cd. Upon selecting 'Play' it too will ask to insert disc. I doubt he's looked into anything about this but if you've done extensive research perhaps there isn't anywhere else to look.
    Maybe it's worth a shot to email OSG and see what their diagnosis is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what to do about your originals, but I do know of a solution that might apply to your copies. I've had the same problem with a lot of my copies, They would just not load at all while a few others loaded just fine. I looked at the structures of the CDs that worked and the ones that did not work, and I noticed that the ones that worked had Mode-2 or Mode-1 Data track for the first Session of the Multi-Session CD. It turns out that my Dreamcast just could not load a Copied Game with an Audio track as the First Session. So I ended up ripping all of the Copies that had Audio Tracks for first Sessions and changed them to Mode-2 Data Tracks. If your up to it, give it a try. Just check to see if you have a copy with a Mode-2 or Mode-1 Data track for Session 1, then try that CD. If it boots, then that's your problem.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Here is the deal. your dreamcast laser is dying. what you can try doing is putting the dreamcast upside down Or sideways. most likly it will read it. also try getting the dreamcast CD lid and push it up a bit. shemue has had a problem with me too. If you try that most likely it will work.