Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xbox 360 coolers question -- are they really bad? which is best?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Nyko cooler caused problems to my initial 360......but not anything that has been mentioned thus far. My fan produced an unusual amount of suction (and noise) which, according to the service dept at Microsoft, had pulled my disc tray completely out of alignment. I had sent the 360 in because immediately upon installing the Nyko, something had caused the disc tray to stick closed unless flicked with a fingertip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    My Nyko cooler caused problems to my initial 360......but not anything that has been mentioned thus far. My fan produced an unusual amount of suction (and noise) which, according to the service dept at Microsoft, had pulled my disc tray completely out of alignment. I had sent the 360 in because immediately upon installing the Nyko, something had caused the disc tray to stick closed unless flicked with a fingertip.
    Im sorry but this kind of BS just makes me laugh out loud (). Now take no offense im not laughing at you im laughing at the fact the MS would come up with such a ridiculous reason like that. The dvd drive is just like a regular PC dvd drive. It is completely enclosed inside its own metal case. It is bolted to the motherboard and case with some pretty thick bolts. A tornado could have ripped through your xbox and the DVD drive wouldn't move. The reason why your disc drive wasn't opening anymore was because in some cases the magnet does not let go of the top of the drive so then the tray doesn't drop and come out. Normally replacing the magnet fixes this problem. I have fixed over 5 xbox 360 that have had this problem. MS really needs to get some better excuses. Then again it worked on you

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YoshiM and RARusk, thanks for the great advice. Very useful advice indeed.

I followed YoshiMs example after reading this thread yesterday. I didn't buy sticky feet but just cut 4 pieces out of wood and used them as "feet" for the Xbox 360. They are 3/4" high, so my 360 has now a nice ventilation area at the bottom. Great advice to do something to prevent overheating although I didn't have problems with my unit so far (bought it 18 months ago.) However, like so many of you I noticed that the 360 gets pretty hot after hours of gameplay.

In the pic you can actually see the little feet, in reality from an adults viewing angle they aren't noticeable at all...the only thing is that the 360 looks now bigger than the PS3.

'Bigger despite serious design problems' compared to its competitors, sounds like the PS2 two years after its launch and sounds like an omen as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This picture shows the current "letter tray" setup I posted about earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard little in the way of the Whisper Quiet fans that is good. From what I have seen and read online the Whisper Quiet reduces noise by only 10% and does little to reduce the temperature. Some people claim the noise is actually turned from a deeper noise to a high pitched whine at times. I wish they would just come out with a good mod already.