Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could the n64 handle a Metroid Prime game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Could the n64 handle a Metroid Prime game?

I've been thinking, the Nintendo 64 and the Nintendo DS are roughly equal when it comes to processing power. Super Mario 64/DS and other games show this.

So, Metroid Prime Hunters is a DS game - would the n64 have been able to handle it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see why not. It'd look a bit crummy and might be a bit choppy, but it could have been done. It's for the best that they didn't try to do it, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah handle also the cpu for ds CPUs: Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively
    nintendo64 clocked at 93.75 MHz

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably it might be choppy at parts, but should be able to.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget blurry... Seriously though- I think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, it would look like a blurry/blocky pile of shit, have crappy music and use one of the worse controllers ever made…but apart from that…flawless transfer.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Only 6 posts in and the topic has degraded into biased N64 bashing already. Hooray.

Seriously, though, if you want to get technical, any system could handle "a" Metroid Prime game. Just the farther back you go in hardware, the farther you'll get from the original concept of Metroid Prime. There's nothing stopping someone from attempting to make a Metroid Prime on SNES, but it obviously wouldn't be 3D. The N64, however, was obviously capable of 3D first-person shooters, so it could stick pretty true to the concept. Its models wouldn't be able to contain as many polygons, the textures wouldn't be as good, and the frame rate would be slower, that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I was surprised n64 handled Resident Evil 2 as good as it did.

It played like shit though.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, of course! If you can port Millipede to the 2600, you can do a MP game for the n64. The only time I'd say you might not be able to port Game X to Console Y is when you'd have to convert a 3d game to a 2d console. I think you'd lose too much of what makes the game what it is, and it would be more of a spinoff than a port (like the Doom sidescroller for the SNES). Otherwise, heck, you could make Gears of War for the PS1.

[Edit]Now that I think about it, it might be cool to see a 2d Gears spinoff that plays like Commando, or Rambo on the SMS. You could duck behind crates, chainsaw enemies, lob grenades... even co-op! That might be kind of neat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you think about it, Turok 2 was very similiar to MP with exploration and very detailed areas for a game in 1998. If that engine was used on small detailed areas like in MP instead of the huge open worlds found in T2, I dont see why the N64 wouldn't be able to run it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

while some modern 3D games would play the same on old consoles, if ported, minus the graphics, a game like gears of war would suffer. the game would be another generic gore-fest without the wonderful lighting, awesome sound and coop. if the game was ported, it would suffer because:

1. the AI would suck
    2. you wouldnt have the coop and have as many enemies to fight as smoothly
    3. graphics stink-same feeling not created

so your "gears of war" on ps1 would be mixed in the crowd.

metroid prime could be done on n64, but it wouldn't be anything like mp1 at least, since they would probably not focus on scanning stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Only 6 posts in and the topic has degraded into biased N64 bashing already. Hooray.
    This is why I avoid making topics on N64, even though it's my favorate system. Prefered over NES, though nobody else on here understands that (Pop in and start playing (N64) vs. hit, wiggle, blow, and bang on the system for 3 hours before you can start playing, and by the time it's finally working, your Zelda save is screwed (NES)).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How so? Here's what I said:

"Sure, it would look like a blurry/blocky pile of shit, have crappy music and use one of the worse controllers ever made…but apart from that…flawless transfer."

It would be blurry (as most of N64 titles are), it would be blocky, it would lose a ton in the sound department thanks to no CD quality audio and sheer memory to house it and using a N64 controller would suck for that game. How is that biased? I'd say damn near the same thing if somebody asked about what a high end PS2 game would look like on the PS1....

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    This is why I avoid making topics on N64, even though it's my favorate system. Prefered over NES, though nobody else on here understands that (Pop in and start playing (N64) vs. hit, wiggle, blow, and bang on the system for 3 hours before you can start playing, and by the time it's finally working, your Zelda save is screwed (NES)).
    No offense, but what does that have to do with the quality of the games? One system was made in 1996 and is more reliable than a system that’s nearly 10 years older and it’s a surprise?

Some like steak, some chicken so if you prefer the N64 over the NES that’s your taste…but to say getting a NES to work is too much trouble so it’s a crummy system is a little over the top.

BTW....a new 72-pin and you're in business....things do wear out with time...
    Last edited by smokehouse; 10-07-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    How so? Here's what I said:

"Sure, it would look like a blurry/blocky pile of shit, have crappy music and use one of the worse controllers ever made…but apart from that…flawless transfer."

It would be blurry (as most of N64 titles are), it would be blocky, it would lose a ton in the sound department thanks to no CD quality audio and sheer memory to house it and using a N64 controller would suck for that game. How is that biased? I'd say damn near the same thing if somebody asked about what a high end PS2 game would look like on the PS1....
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then, you sir, are a duck. :P

I don't need to explain how every statement you made is laced with a jab at the N64. You've already proven yourself time and time again a ranting and raving N64 troll that looks for any and all opportunities to derail and ruin topics just to express your hatred for the system because apparently the very statement of its name is enough to offend you and set you off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then, you sir, are a duck. :P

I don't need to explain how every statement you made is laced with a jab at the N64. You've already proven yourself time and time again a ranting and raving N64 troll that looks for any and all opportunities to derail and ruin topics just to express your hatred for the system because apparently the very statement of its name is enough to offend you and set you off.
    Good grief, I wasn’t set off or anything…I just think the system would handle such a game poorly across the board.

I also don’t consider myself a N64 troll…possibly I am? I never thought of it that way. I do know I try not to make “You’re an idiot if you like the N64” type of comments, I normally aim my flaming arrows at the hardware itself, not the people talking about it.

I guess I’ve always thought of the N64 as a cheating wife of sort…not sure why as I’m a huge fan of Nintendo.

Oh well…to each their own.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    I also don’t consider myself a N64 troll…possibly I am?
    I wouldn't take it to "troll" level, but it does seem like whenever there's something bad to say about N64 you are there to say it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

smokehouse, we all know you hate the N64. On these forums, you are probably the person who hates it most. That said, why don't you stay out of N64 topics? We all know how you feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I'd say it probably could've. But it would have looked like total shit.

And since the N64 was cartridge based, I'm sure it would've cost $125 because it probably would've required alot of memory.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the n64 is more than capable of doing a metroid fps game. What about the n64's hardware wouldn't be able to handle something that was done in prime? Lower resolution, muddier audio, less scanning. Obviously it would not be the exact same game as the gcn one but it would have been great if it would have come out in the n64's "prime".