Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Demo Only - Not For Resale)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Demo Only - Not For Resale)

Just to get a bunch of opinions from the experts that might read this thread.

Thanks!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Played it yet? Just curious if it differs from the retail version, which is a favorite of mine from the N64 library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These vary, depending on rather or not it contains the full game. The ones with the full game are worth less, as they only have a different label than the retail version. The ones that are actual demos(containing only a portion of the whole game) regularly go for more. As for a price, I've seen these go for as little as $3 to as much as $20. It all depends on who's looking for it that day. And honestly, theres a chance you could always get more than $20 for it. But like I said, it all depends on the day it's selling and who's looking for it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, especially since nobody gives a damn about Turok games... so sad, it's way better than most actual crappy shooters.

It's not the full game; it's got nothing to do with those ugly N64 carts with the final release of the game who only differ from the retail ones for their tiny "not for resale" tag. Those carts are pointless, there's nothing different, not even the cart's artwork. Actually, just my opinion, they're nice for collectors but that's about all.

It's got only 3 levels and lotsa differences in the menus (obviously). I haven't compared the levels with the final ones, but I feel like something's gotta be different (some zones feel awkwardly empty and non-lagging, while the game ALWAYS lags in the final release).

Thanks for dropping by

By the way, I had to remove what was left of the two stickers on the cart, but I discovered the one on the left was a small price-like tag with the number of the cart (like 065) and the right one was a big rectangular sticker with the name of the distributor of the cart (looks like it was distributed in Germany). Now I wonder if that means about 100 carts produced or 1000... I'd say 100 since 1000 seem a bit too many just for display in stores... given the crazy prices of N64 carts back then.
    Last edited by LuxKiller65; 10-10-2007 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. If you ever want to sell it let me know. Also check out my demo feed if you get a chance.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that full versions are worth less, but as far as N64 demo's go this is one of the rarer...I should know I think I have every N64 demo. This cart is worth well over $20. True that games like Mario Party 3 is one of the less valuable ones going for $5-20 before shipping; but most other games always go over $20. Turok 2 goes for $35 and up. Let me know if you have any demo questions.

Mike

BTW-Demos are mainly a collector thing...haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for replying. Yes, it must be one of the rarest, since all I can find on eBay are those "Not for Resale" American cartridges, that have no difference whatsoever from the final release. Do you know if other companies beside Acclaim "released" demos like the Turok 2 one? I've seen videos of a beta Turok 3 on YouTube, but that's a beta... not a demo. I think the cart cover looks sweet... black and white and totally unique - wicked.

(I did pay exactly 34$ for this cart so yeah, your sayings are quite exact ; ))

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
    Thanks for replying. Yes, it must be one of the rarest, since all I can find on eBay are those "Not for Resale" American cartridges, that have no difference whatsoever from the final release. Do you know if other companies beside Acclaim "released" demos like the Turok 2 one? I've seen videos of a beta Turok 3 on YouTube, but that's a beta... not a demo. I think the cart cover looks sweet... black and white and totally unique - wicked.

(I did pay exactly 34$ for this cart so yeah, your sayings are quite exact ; ))

I'll pay you 34.50 ha ha seriouslt. Turok 2 was a long huge level game. I loved it but the length might have thrown people off. I don't know where the franchise took a turn for the worse but I remember the hype for the first 2.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow of Oblivion could not compare to the first two but was fun and good.

But Evolution, good Lord... that game never passed a single serious beta test. It's the only game released at beta stage, God. Crappy. But hey, I still loved it because it was Turok, and Turok rules.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the wars multiplayer game came out we had some fun there. Not sure if that one was popular.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only one other TRUE DEMO exists for the N64 releases and that is Zelda Majora's Mask (grey cart). All the other 'demos' are full versions with a different label on the front. Demos are still very hard to come by for N64 so regardless if they are 'true demos' never turn them down (good trade bait). There are even certain games, if you do you research, that you will find never had a variant label made but rather just a demo or PROPERTY OF NINTENDO 'NOT FOR RESALE' sticker on the back. This was due to two reasons. One, the game was decided to be demoed at a variety of stores very late , so there was no time to make variant labels. Two, the game became unexpectedly popular. The second possibility being seen in some wrestling games, Mario Party 1, and Super Smash Bros. And contrary to popular belief Nintendo Reps did not have free reign over those 'back of cart' demo stickers. Either nintendo sent them the cart directly like that with sticker already placed on, then they filled in store number and such OR they had to special request the sticker for THAT GAME from nintendo. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS.

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55 View Post
    Only one other TRUE DEMO exists for the N64 releases and that is Zelda Majora's Mask (grey cart). All the other 'demos' are full versions with a different label on the front. Demos are still very hard to come by for N64 so regardless if they are 'true demos' never turn them down (good trade bait). There are even certain games, if you do you research, that you will find never had a variant label made but rather just a demo or PROPERTY OF NINTENDO 'NOT FOR RESALE' sticker on the back. This was due to two reasons. One, the game was decided to be demoed at a variety of stores very late , so there was no time to make variant labels. Two, the game became unexpectedly popular. The second possibility being seen in some wrestling games, Mario Party 1, and Super Smash Bros. And contrary to popular belief Nintendo Reps did not have free reign over those 'back of cart' demo stickers. Either nintendo sent them the cart directly like that with sticker already placed on, then they filled in store number and such OR they had to special request the sticker for THAT GAME from nintendo. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS.

Mike

Thats not true. I haven't played them all but I can think of at least 1 other Donkey Kong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Thats not true. I haven't played them all but I can think of at least 1 other Donkey Kong.
    You are correct. Donkey is the third. But it would only be the grey cart of course, and NOT the yellow cart with the 'Not for Resale' sticker on the back. I can not think of any others. But then again those are the only 3 (Turok, DK64, and Zelda) that have different carts then the official release.

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the Excitebike demo cart has a specific screen when you boot the game saying it is the preview version but otherwise the game itself is the same besides stuff being unlocked on the demo version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the precious information guys.

I was hoping Turok 1 and 3 had the same kind of demo version but sadly not, given to your words. Does anybody have a picture of the the other two (Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask)? Because I've seen the "Not For Resale" carts for Majora's Mask, both gray and gold, but the label was the usual one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55 View Post
    I agree that full versions are worth less, but as far as N64 demo's go this is one of the rarer...I should know I think I have every N64 demo. This cart is worth well over $20. True that games like Mario Party 3 is one of the less valuable ones going for $5-20 before shipping; but most other games always go over $20. Turok 2 goes for $35 and up. Let me know if you have any demo questions.
    An off-topic question: How rare is the Not For Resale copy of Diddy Kong Racing?

(Back on topic)
    Interesting cart...I've never played any of the Turok games, though
    Last edited by PentiumMMX; 10-14-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
    Thanks for all the precious information guys.

I was hoping Turok 1 and 3 had the same kind of demo version but sadly not, given to your words. Does anybody have a picture of the the other two (Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask)? Because I've seen the "Not For Resale" carts for Majora's Mask, both gray and gold, but the label was the usual one.
    The labels look the same on the Majora's Mask, just once you boot it up it is different on the grey version. I also knew about the preview screen on the Excitebike, but not sure how much a variation from the end version that is...but I guess.

This is just some of the demos I have I had a pic laying around so I thought I would post it. Hard to see some of the labels...sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    An off-topic question: How rare is the Not For Resale copy of Diddy Kong Racing?

(Back on topic)
    Interesting cart...I've never played any of the Turok games, though
    Diddy Kong is not as usual a demo cart as say Mario Party 3, but not as rare as others discussed here.

Mike
    Last edited by icarwngs55; 10-14-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so basically only Turok 2 has such a unique label desing, the others are just plain usual labels, with a content that may differ all right... strange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and another point. Your's is the European Demo Version (of course) which is more common than the USA version of the Turok Demo...for whatever reason. Thought I would point that out for everyone.

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. I didn't know there were so many N64 demo carts. I should start adding them to my other demo collection with PS1, PS2, PS3, XBox, 360, Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, CD-I and Jaguar demos.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P