Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Anniversary Collection

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the PS1 MM8 disc, so I don't care about the sprite glitching on the 360. Every other game on the XBOX collection disc runs fine on the 360, so I like that one.

I heard the PS2 version has sluggish controls. The GCN version has backwards controls. The XBOX version has neither. That's why I got that version.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... What? I used that Mega Man 1 pause glitch it without problems on the PS2!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Hmm that's weird it's not in the gc version.

Of corse i never had problem beating mm1 without it any ways.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Really on the PS2?! I couldn't get it to work right! Do I have to keep hitting start or select, and does it work in Navi Mode?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the gamecube version. Its fine, yet the controls are somewhat akward. Personally, I never really got the hang out if (but I'm very much a traditionalist with the megaman titles) O_o

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would recommend the GameCube version, I own it.
    And i'm a huge MegaMan fan.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone know where to find mp3s of the arranged tracks in Navi Mode by chance?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Could some kind soul tell me which is the supreme version of this anthology: PlayStation 2 or XBOX? Obviously there are better ports (and the originals) out there, but concerning just Mega Man Anniversary Collection, which is the best release? The GameCube A<->B thing is off-putting and the controller isn't really well-designed for demanding platformers like this, but what about PS2/XB? Which is better, both concerning the game contents and the controller D-pad? And what about if played on a 360 instead of XB?

Finally (forgive my ignorance), but must you unlock content, and if so, what requires what?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Finally (forgive my ignorance), but must you unlock content, and if so, what requires what?
    Basically you have to beat the games.

That's putting it simply--basically whenever you beat a robot master or get a certain thingy or whatever, something is unlocked. Which basically narrows down to "play the damn games. Beat them."

I only ever owned the Gamecube release. Honestly, the button layout isn't that bad... with a GAMECUBE controller. Its when you use an adapter to play with a PS2 controller that it becomes an issue. But the reason you'd do that is because the Gamecube's D-pad sucks. So getting that Hori controller might actually help.

But it seems like the X-Box version might be the best in terms of both special features and playability. The PS2 only has a MM cartoon episode... which means nothing as the cartoon is available on DVD twice over now (first released in two sets by ADV in the early 2000s, now released again by Discotek in a package that mimics the style of the NES games) so that's almost kind of a waste. The gamecube at least has interesting stuff, which I've heard is carried over to the X-Box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Xbox d-pad stinks.

While I've never been a fan of Sony's split d-pad design, it at least reliably works. That said, I've used a digital only controller with the Xbox edition before where as it sounds like digital only options aren't supported by the earlier PS2 release. And the option to change the button configuration, which was added to the Xbox edition in the wake of the GCN uproar, is also a welcome addition.

And as said earlier in this thread, the Xbox edition also gets the best selection of extras, including a decent documentary about the franchise from the Icons series on G4TV that the PS2 edition lacks.

It also has a reputation as having the least emulation issues, although it apparently introduces a problem or two of its own judging by Satoshi Matrix's post in the Legacy Collection thread. And no 240p support, a failing shared with the PS2 edition although at least it outputs in 480p on the Xbox.

And the Xbox 360 emulation of it stinks. Avoid it if you plan to play it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Its when you use an adapter to play with a PS2 controller that it becomes an issue. But the reason you'd do that is because the Gamecube's D-pad sucks. So getting that Hori controller might actually help.
    While a person or two around here swore up and down a few years ago that I was wrong, I've encountered exactly what Satoshi Matrix has over on the PS2, on the GameCube with my Hori controller in a game or two.

So if the PS2 edition doesn't support digital only PS2 controllers, I wouldn't count on the GCN release that was developed simultaneously to support the Hori pad. That said, I only own the Xbox edition and can't say that it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-31-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you're going for more of a correct feel true to form and with that being both the game and the controller, the PS2 one. The GC would if the d-pad didn't blow and they allowed you to reconfigure the buttons which stupidly that one alone won't do. The GC wins as far as all the goodies went but it's broken if you're in tune with the old carts to the point you walk firing into holes instead of jumping them. XB probably if you don't mind the controller and appreciate the fluff. I didn't care, I just wanted the 10 games it had (mm1-8+2 arcade games.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The GC would if the d-pad didn't blow and they allowed you to reconfigure the buttons which stupidly that one alone won't do.
    I personally don't see its configuration of buttons being suited for it regardless of how they're mapped. At least that's my opinion after using my Hori digital controller, which resolves the d-pad issue, with my Game Boy Player and many a classic game like the GB Mega Mans. I eventually moved to the standard model 1 GBA for my Game Boy Player, relegating my Hori to compilations and the like.

Nice controller, but it wasn't a good match for something like a Mega Man game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The GC wins as far as all the goodies went
    Has less extras than the Xbox version and Satoshi Matrix said that it's lacking some (all?) of the music remixes of the Xbox and PS2 versions. Seems to be the consensus that it had the better extra than the PS2 version thanks to that documentary, but it's also present on the Xbox version.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-31-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    While a person or two around here swore up and down a few years ago that I was wrong, I've encountered exactly what Satoshi Matrix has over on the PS2, on the GameCube with my Hori controller in a game or two.

So if the PS2 edition doesn't support digital only PS2 controllers, I wouldn't count on the GCN release that was developed simultaneously to support the Hori pad. That said, I only own the Xbox edition and can't say that it wouldn't work.
    I don't know, but that seems unlikely. Nintendo's only digital only GCN controller was the DK Bongos. (unless you count using GBA for input)

PS2 is a minefield nevertheless. No telling how many games arbitrarily block digital controllers, Dual Analog, and/or Dual Shock 1.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While Nz17 isn't even considering the GameCube version, perhaps some kind Digital Press user that owns both the Hori and the GCN version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection could fire it up and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I don't know, but that seems unlikely. Nintendo's only digital only GCN controller was the DK Bongos. (unless you count using GBA for input)
    I suspect there are several unlicensed digital only controllers for the GameCube like arcade sticks.

I've came across a game or two that throws up that exact error message when I pair it up with my Hori. And we're not talking about something that isn't perfectly capable of being played through with the d-pad, but titles that are ideally suited for a nice digital-only controller and indeed work 100% with stock controller's digital pad.

If the PS2 version works this way as Satoshi Matrix has already attested to in the other ongoing thread about this collection's successor, I sure wouldn't count on the GCN version working any differently.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-31-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Besides for the A<->B buttons switchup, the other reasons I'm going to skip the GC release over one of these other two are:

-The PS2 and XBOX versions are cheaper than the GC release due to supply and demand. (Less copies of games sold on more modern Nintendo platforms plus more collectors for Nintendo platforms equal that prices are generally higher on Nintendo platforms for cross-platform games regardless of differences among the platforms and even for games in general.)

-The PS2/XB controllers lack the KLACKETY-KLACKETY-KLACKETY-KLACKETY-KLACKETY-KLACKETY-KLACK of the GameCube controllers. And smaller shoulder buttons are faster to press which is important for demanding action games like those in this collection.

Seems like the general opinion is that the XBOX version is the one of these three to get. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I should say that regardless of which version of MMAC I eventually buy, I'm actually buying this for the moral justification of running the games emulated on whatever platforms I please anyway, so any emulation issues won't be an issue with the more faithful fan-made emulators. It's not that I won't play MMAC on its target platform, but I do see this as a way of saying, "I own the games so I'll play them on the computer or console of my choice using home-brew and emulators." Yeah, I know I could just play the ROM's without owning the games, but I have ethical objections to that, and owning a physical copy of these games helps to satisfy my inner collector. So the GameCube copy isn't completely out of the running - I just probably won't pick it up unless I find it "in the wild" for a prudent price (meaning not at or near eBay pricing).

So what are the extras included in MMAC? An episode of a Mega Man cartoon and a G4 Icons episode? Which MM cartoon are we talking about?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    So what are the extras included in MMAC? An episode of a Mega Man cartoon and a G4 Icons episode? Which MM cartoon are we talking about?
    Super fighting robot!
    MEGA MAN!

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!
    MEGA MAN!

FIIIIIGHTING TO SAAAAAVE
    THE WORLD! (WORLD!)

If you've never seen it, its this one. But like I said, even at the time, you could buy the whole cartoon on DVD and now Discotek has re-released it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Like Tanooki, I purchased Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the games not to watch the first episode of the cartoon or any documentary explaining the history of Mega Man, which I'm sure includes how the first Mega Man cover art was done in a day because they gave the concept to some guy over the phone, etc, etc. The remixed music is nice, but in order to have the remixed music, you're also required to have the help option on. Also. All first party PS2 controllers were analog and digital, most third party controllers were analog and digital, so digital only controllers not working shouldn't be a problem.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Honestly I don't remember the fluff as I never used it on the GC, just played the games only, and after the controls got grating it was used for the arcade games. I had them as an imported NGPC cart before it and they were a blast so I had to get them as the full version on there, plus I had never had MM7 or 8 at that point so that was the selling point. I tolerated the other MM games 1-6 enough to unlock the other goodies, but that's it, I never finished any of them on there I don't recall (unless I had to) other than maybe MM2 but it was full on chore.

Given NZ17 wants to emulate anyway and my total lack of care about remixed music or fruity videos, if the GC one could be found for a fair non-Nintendo Tax price I'd still grab it. Get that, fire it up in DOLPHIN, reverse the B/A buttons in the emulator, and plug a stupid SNES controller into your computer with a USB adapter and you got an ideal situation going on right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Like Tanooki, I purchased Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the games not to watch the first episode of the cartoon or any documentary explaining the history of Mega Man, which I'm sure includes how the first Mega Man cover art was done in a day because they gave the concept to some guy over the phone, etc, etc.
    Sure

But this is Digital Press where many of us have all three platforms. If there's a difference, even if just provides for a relatively minor benefit, why not take that into account? Especially when the thread itself was bumped asking for just such opinions.

Despite the network that created it being a wasteland of trash, the Icons series from G4 was pretty well done. I've never rewatched it on my Xbox since I've seen it on tv when it originally aired, but it's certainly one of several decent reasons to give this version preference.

I'm sure that I'd of disliked the cartoon, but someone must be a fan, so it's also worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Also. All first party PS2 controllers were analog and digital, most third party controllers were analog and digital, so digital only controllers not working shouldn't be a problem.
    Some of the best d-pads though are those on digital-only controllers. And especially with the arcade unlockables, losing out on arcade stick support on the PS2 version (And possibly elsewhere) stinks.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-23-2015 at 02:42 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Mega Man

What is the latest game of Maga Man. Can anybody please tell me?? And where I get this?