Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: would you sell your collection if......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Selling my collections in the past due to debt has completely ruined the collecting of those systems for me. I had almost every SMS game (112 I think) and sold them. I had a monster of a Vic-20 collection. I also had a massive TG16 collection. Snes, Jaguar...quite a few. I made small attempts to re-collect them, but it just makes me sick to have to re-purchase games I already had, or not be able to find them again (or find them only in worse condition), as well as find them to be three times as much as I spent for them when I last collected.

That said, I can never collect those systems again (or so I feel at the moment). I took on a new mission I never did previously in the Genesis (never collected it) and now have about 1/3 of the entire set. I know the same thing would happen here should I ever sell, and I am going to try my damnest never to have to do that!

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I am finding myself refocusing my collecting, because sadly I cannot pay college living expenses with SMB/Duckhunt carts.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't imagine myself being in dire-straights of needing money, but I could see myself wanting to buy a house in a few years and wanting some more cash to put onto a down-payment.
    I don't go into dept (by any means) when I buy games. If an emergency ever came up and I needed money right away, I would have it, so wouldn't ever be forced to sell anything.
    However, as I mentioned above, when the time comes to buy a house, the thought might be there to sell some of my games. The thing is, though, is that I could only see myself selling certain things.
    I couldn't see myself selling any of my NES, SNES or N64 items (which, by then, hopefully I'll have CIB collections of all three). But I could see myself selling some some of collections that don't mean all that much to me (like all the complete Sega libraries I have and such).

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    I've never sold off the whole collection, and given it's actually value (very little) I doubt I ever would. How much could I get for 220 games and 7 systems? A grand? Tops? I have however gone through some thinnings. Usually I will sell off 10-15% of my games every couple of years.
    That is exactly my rationale behind not selling off parts of my collection. It took me a lot of time and money to amass what I have now. I would much rather pick up another job delivering pizza's or mowing lawns to gain the extra income I need. I'm always a little surprised when people mention selling off their collection to pay their bills (specifically credit cards). Granted there will always be those unforseen expenses that can't really be planned for, but that is why you should set up an emergency fund for yourself to help pad those expenses.

I'm a family man though too, and like many others said, if hard times befell my family, I would be the first to volunteer the video game collection to be liquidated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never sell off my collection. If I ever get into financial troubles, I'd use the Power of the Swedish Welfare System to get out of it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im planning on letting all my atari 2600 stuff go except for a handful of games along with my 5200, odessey 2, jaguar, and genesis. Its come to the point I have turned my den into a store room and have had to move a lot of stuff like my pool table out because theres no room. so its time to lighten the load.