View Poll Results: Should XBLA games be counted into someones total games owned number?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 26.32%
  • No

28 73.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should XBLA games be counted into your total games owned number?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should XBLA games be counted into your total games owned number?

Today I took on the task of counting how many total unique games I have over all of my systems which I had not done in a couple of years (I have 941 of what I found) but I was wondering if you people think that downloaded games that you pay for on the Xbox live arcade should be factored into someones total gamecount? I mean sure you dont physicaly own a copy of the games, however you pay to own the virtual game.

For example, I dont own it but the downloadable ps3 game Warhawk, if you bought that and owned say ridge racer 7 and heavenly sword, would you say you own 3 ps3 games or 2?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you paid for the full version, then yes. If you only played the demo, then no. I especially hate how XBLA demos show up as played games in your 360 played games list. It's so annoying. Regular demos don't do that.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I might just be old-fashioned, but downloading a game does not count in my opinion. Having the actual cart/disc/whatever means being able to take it and use it on any console, without any kind of restrictions placed on its use. Besides, if you count downloaded games as actual games, the lines between downloaded games and ROMs start to blur somewhat, and I don't care what anyone says, you don't own squat if all you have is a ROM of a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

For all intents and purposes, yes. Just like downloading a game from Steam or even Direct2Drive. You have purchased the game, it is now part of your collection.

I hate all the dumb epeen numbers crap, but with SO many games now available for XBLA, VC, and even PSN, there is a worth to tracking them in your inventory. Especially for insurance purposes.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would say no. I consider XBLA games a rental.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

no i dont think so..

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say no because once the console dies or is replaced it is a pain in the butt to get the games back
    neo geo system

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

I say yes. I never used to count downloaded games from XBLA or the Virtual Console, but after spending so much money on them, I believe I have the right to count them. It makes little sense to me that a 99 cent Atari 2600 cartridge counts as a game in your collection, but a $10 XBLA game doesn't?! It's absurd.

I now count every downloaded game I pay for... because, virtual or not, I OWN it. It's mine to play anytime I want. And besides, we might as well get used to the idea of counting virtual games... cuz we all know that's where the video game industry is headed. Someday, carts and discs will be a thing of the past. So what will we do then... just not keep track of all the games we've downloaded and PAID for? Makes no sense. You pay for it, you own it.... simple as that.

And no, I'm not happy about downloading ROMS instead of purchasing physical copies on carts and discs, but I still believe that's what we're gonna be doing in 10 years or so.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, to be correct, you do NOT own the downloaded titles. You only own a license to play them...on THAT machine. To me, it is more of a rental than an ownage in that respect. You cannot "take" the game over to a friends house and play it there. You cannot use them on that other Xbox (or Wii) console in the bedroom. You really do not "own" the game.

When I had the Wii (sold it off not too long ago) I downloaded/purchased a slew of VC games. When my Wii started acting up and actually died on me (only a few weeks after purchase!) I contacted Nintendo and was told that I had to first send back my unit so that they can transfer the licenses to a new console. The tech made it absolutely clear that I did not own these games (after I got frustrated that they just couldn't send me a console first via advanced replacement) and that all I owned was a license to play them. He said that if my machine ever died again in the future, I would have to inquire with them about another transfer.

That is just bull. I can BUY and OWN any of these titles, and most of the time for dollars less than a virtual title.

And that is just what I did. I guess you can count the titles as ones you are able to play, but not as ones that you "own" in that respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I would say no. I consider XBLA games a rental.
    Why do you consider it a rental?

IMO it counts as an actual game. I have payed for it and it's a complete game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Why do you consider it a rental?

IMO it counts as an actual game. I have payed for it and it's a complete game
    Reading is fundamental.

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    Well, to be correct, you do NOT own the downloaded titles. You only own a license to play them...on THAT machine. To me, it is more of a rental than an ownage in that respect. You cannot "take" the game over to a friends house and play it there. You cannot use them on that other Xbox (or Wii) console in the bedroom. You really do not "own" the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Reading is fundamental.
    You're right it is.

I didn't quote zektor I quoted Kid Ice.

And the reasons that zektor uses don't work because everything he says you can't do with a virtual game you can do with a rental.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

The tech made it absolutely clear that I did not own these games (after I got frustrated that they just couldn't send me a console first via advanced replacement) and that all I owned was a license to play them.
    Well that can be said about any game really... physical or virtual. They're all just licensed copies of copyrighted material. When we buy a cartridge or disc, we're paying for the right to play that ROM... just as we are when we pay for a Virtual Console ROM. We don't technically "own" the game sure, but, to me, that's as good as owning it. If I can play it anytime I want after I purchase something... be it a license or the game itself... I'm counting it as something I own. If Nintendo or Microsoft don't like that, then they can go suck a lemon.

I see what you're saying tho. I'm just a simple-minded individual trying to avoid getting too technical.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, you're leasing the game. You don't actually own it. Ownership means that you can do whatever you want with the item. You can re-sell it to somebody else, you can trade it in for store credit, you can give it as a gift, etc, etc. You are simply leasing the game for an extended period of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are only rentals, as I don't own a physical copy of the game. Long term rentals, yes, but still rentals.

If I can't keep it forever and play it on whatever system I want then it's a rental, and not a part of my collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To truly own a game You should have everything,,,,, Meaning Disk, Instructions,
    and packaging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 2007 View Post
    To truly own a game You should have everything,,,,, Meaning Disk, Instructions,
    and packaging.
    Well I dont know if that can be entirely true...

After reading the posts here though I have now been convinced that downloaded "paid for" games should not be included in a collection list/number.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have a physical copy of the game or no? If I come over to your house and count your games then you say oh wait let me log into X-box so you can count these- I'd laugh in your face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can count these downloads then whats to stop you from also counting the rom collection thats on your hardrive? Eventually these systems will no longer be supported and will die then where will that leave you? If we're lucky, Nintendo and MS will allow us to port all the VC/XBLA titles we've paid the lease for to their next systems but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is absolutely solid gold. If you think otherwise, you're wrong. It's more like a lease than a rental, I think-you've given someone money for use of a certain good or product, yet you never physically own the item. You've paid for the right to use it.

That fact considered, I say they don't count for the official total of games owned.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.