Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have store owners ever hassled you about the DP guide?

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Have store owners ever hassled you about the DP guide?

I doubt many people do this, but when I first started collecting Genesis games I had printed out a list off all the U.S. releases, then I would carry it around with me when I went game hunting. So I was just wondering if anyone else does this? And if so, have you ever been hassled by a shop owner for it?

Like I said previously, I used to carry a list of all the Genesis games, with the rarity of each game and what not. While at a pawn shop out of state, I was going threw a bin of Genesis games. After I had looked at all of them, I pulled out my list because I was unsure about how "rare" a hand-full of titles were, and I double-checked a few games on the list as well. Then the owner asked what I was doing, and told me that he didnt allow price guides. Since the list I had didnt have the price's, I told him it was just a list of ever Genesis game, and that I have it to make sure I dont buy the same game twice, but it did not have the value of the games. He then wanted to see it, thats when he must of saw the columns; title; release date; rarity. Then he basically told me I could have it in the store.

I guess I understand why the owner wouldnt want people to shop with a price or rarity guide. Because customers could argue with the owner over price, and say he's charging to much or something along those lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont carry it around with me but if i see something of intrest i go into the glovebox of my car and check. and yes i brought it in one time and a guy tried to overcharge me because the price on the list for a cib game was higher than his cart price. hence the reason it stays in my glovebox.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

No because I don't carry it with me. Also because I know what I look for and have a good notion at its rarity when I see stuff i'm interested in and because i've got a good idea at a price i'm willing to pay for it, if its too much and theres no negotiation, I move along.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dlopez9069 View Post
    i dont carry it around with me but if i see something of intrest i go into the glovebox of my car and check. and yes i brought it in one time and a guy tried to overcharge me because the price on the list for a cib game was higher than his cart price. hence the reason it stays in my glovebox.
    By US law, he must sell it at the price it's marked as (or lower). Just say "false advertising" and make him sell.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ima start bringin the nes checklist with me . all the time i buy duplicates of carts i already have . so that would help me .... good idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but in general carrying a price guide around inside a store/while hunting isn't tactful at all. Take this in the kindest way possible, but it is a common sense thing. Keep the damn guide at home people. You're spoiling your own hunt.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, one time I was at a Microplay, and I brought the Video Game Bible with me (I don't have any DP guides). One of the attendants saw it, and asked to see it. He really liked it, and even checked to see how accurate it was.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Many of the clerks and other customers (regulars) at some of the places I look for games at are already sick of seeing me in the store all the time, looking at the same type of stuff and always asking to see things behind the glass with each visit. I'm not well-liked in any of the Goodwill's, Salvation Army's or game rental places in my area. Not because of anything I do but because people who work or shop in thrifts and places like that don't seem to like a person who is in all the time and seemingly on a very specific mission. I don't intend to draw further attention to myself by running around the store with a price guide.

As for the places I hunt at with owners or clerks who are happy to see me and will cut me some deals, there are two factors at play. First, some of these people know damn well what the games are "worth" (because they use price guides). As for the clerks and owners who don't know the value of their stuff but treat me well, I have no plans to disrespect them by showing up in their store with a price guide or even a list. It wouldn't be in my best interests to pull a "slap in the face" to the local pawn shop owner who has been in business for 25 years and who I've known since I was 3. That's just me of course. In a situation like that, the best I can do is make an educated guess if I don't know about a game. Usually I make the right choices because I refer to the online guide here a couple times a month, looking at nearly all of the systems, and I have a pretty good memory.
    Last edited by bangtango; 10-18-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get with the times man, carry your sidekick or PDA and look at it that way. If some jackass decided to come up on me like that I would tell him to fack off. Regardless if he just inquisitive about what the hell I am doing or what. I have my rights now respect them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Get with the times man, carry your sidekick or PDA and look at it that way.
    But I wouldn't want it to get wet from the rain!!

Seriously though, I used to carry a small checklist of what I had - not values or anything, just what I had. Back in the FuncoLand days I'd take their current price list and my current "haves" list and name off NES cartridges for the clerk to pull if they had them. "I'm going to go down the list, if you have it pull it." Once I had about $30 or so in games I'd tell them that's enough and walk out with my 20 cartridges or whatever.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares if it's tacky to carry a guide with you, I have a good memory so I don't need one. Many would need it to not overpay. An owner needs to respect a seasoned collector just as he'd want the collector to respect him and realize that he needs to negotiate, not bend over backwards but be willing to do deals or package pricing. If the owner told me price guides aren't allowed then I'd tell him he lost a customer and that I'd spread the word that he's not willing to bargain. He should be happy your looking not be ready to kick you out. Who's he doing the disservice to anyways, there's a good chance that the owner was one who used the old Funco Land price sheets as the Bible for prices. Game Stop stopped that basically to say price sheets aren't allowed and now he's going to do the same to you? IMO Jokes on him. His loss!
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 10-19-2007 at 01:09 AM.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like another poster mentioned I keep my checklist in my car, I usually know what I'm after but it is there just in case I'm not certain especially since I'm in the 400 range of genesis titles and I have picked up a couple doubles on stuff that isn't necessarily resellable (sports titles and other various commons). It's a pain to carry in to stores since my lists are in a binder and wouldn't fit into a pocket, but I have carried cag lists of clearance items at k-mart to that store since they never mark down their clearance items, but once they figured out I knew there store's prices better than they did they finally repriced everything and made my special deals everyone's deals (they never saw my lists though they just figured it after I had them price check 20-30 games in their case in a couple week period).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Never used a price guide in a store (have online both to buy and sell its nice indeed!) but local stores tend to be accomating if you can show them someone selling on amazon or ebay or elsewhere for less they will lower the price never had them try to up it though.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm... I find it interesting that some of you don't have a problem with taking in your DP Guide, but if the store owner is looking up stuff you want on eBay there at the counter and pricing them accordingly, you may balk.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Good point Sniderman. I bring my "nerd binder with me". I also tell game store owners about the DP guide, so that they can have references to something when ebay does not have a game. I keep the guides at home, but use the slashbunny DP lite guides on me at all times.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would anyone carry around a heavy book? Just photocopy the pages that you need and do it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65 View Post
    Why would anyone carry around a heavy book? Just photocopy the pages that you need and do it that way.
    Well, Mine's not actually book sized, it is a flat report holder with the dp lite lists checklists for nes, snes, n64 and genesis since those are the only 4 systems I actively collect for and that I have more games than I can keep track of thus needing the lists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only once brought a guide with me to help with prices. One of the local game store jackasses could give a damn about a guide. I have asked him about changing a price since he jerks everyone around with some of his ridiculous prices. His reply is always, "Don't like it , then get the f*ck out." Honestly, some people are unreasonable with their $5 Mario/Duck Hunt loose carts. Other than that I tend to just keep a list of things I am looking for in my pocket. That way if I spot something he has for a good price (hardly ever) then I can pick it up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

you know a good way to do it? if you own a PSP, you can copy pages off the online rarity guide and save them as JPG files. Transfer them over to the photos section of the PSP and just bring the PSP around with you to look up the rarity. Thats what I've done before and nobody has said a thing about it. You could also probably put it on any other device you may own that does similar things. I just happen to use my psp to look shit up because all the systems I collect for are saved on there. Just a heads up for the people bringing the guides in with them that don't want to get harrassed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    you know a good way to do it? if you own a PSP, you can copy pages off the online rarity guide and save them as JPG files. Transfer them over to the photos section of the PSP and just bring the PSP around with you to look up the rarity. Thats what I've done before and nobody has said a thing about it. You could also probably put it on any other device you may own that does similar things. I just happen to use my psp to look shit up because all the systems I collect for are saved on there. Just a heads up for the people bringing the guides in with them that don't want to get harrassed.
    That's actually a really good idea. I should do that with my ebook reader. I've never been harassed by store owners for carrying guides on me but I'd rather have something more durable to keep my list on.