Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 360 And Halo 3 Push Past the Wii's Sales [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post 360 And Halo 3 Push Past the Wii's Sales [Slashdot]

GameDaily has the NPD numbers for September, and they're impressive if only because for the first time in months Nintendo isn't dominating the top of every list. Total sales across the industry hit $1.36 billion (a 74% bump over last year), mostly fueled by Halo 3 sales. The game (across all skus) sold some 3.3 million units, while Xbox 360 platforms hit about 528,000 units sold last month. Ironically, the Wii had it's second best month ever and the DS sold big numbers thanks to Phantom Hourglass. "Nintendo's Wii, despite not really having any significant new software releases, was close behind with 501K units sold. The DS handheld also did quite well, selling another 495.8K. Looking at Sony's platforms, the PS3 sold just 119.4K units, while the surging PSP sold 284.5K and the PS2 maintained healthy sales at 215K." The piece also offers up analysis from an NPD researcher, who feels Microsoft is likely to maintain some good momentum through the holidays.Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

id say the wii surge is because of availability going up. i got to the local gamestop (3 in the mall...) every lunch break and they started having them in almost every day...

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thinks it's nuts that MS put out the biggest game of this year and next and the Wii, with only MP3 being the nearest marquee game (without anywhere near the anticipation nor promotion) was able to pull within 27K units sold. It's a good bump for them, but unless they keep this up (say, another 300K for Oct), maybe Reggie was right and most of the prople who wanted Halo3 already bought Halo3. I also wonder if they sold nearly every Wii they shipped and that the only reason MS ended on top was supply and not demand (it was the second highest number of Wii's sold in a month).

I'm curious as to how the Wii will do with SMG and the holidays coming up. I think the perception/reality of scarcity will mean that Nintendo will sell every Wii they ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Yep to above poster. 360 has fired its big gun and only got its nose in front of the Wii- which has still got some serious ammunition in reserve. As with everything in retail, it'll be the Christmas sales that'll really tell the story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Good.

I'm about to sell my Wii.

I'm very disappointed with the system and the games I have played (including MP3), The VC games are overpriced, the controllers novelty wore off after about 2 weeks, Nintendo seems to be sticking to their kiddie mantra.... It just not worth the $250, and the hell I went through just to get it.

I'm pretty much done with Nintendo. The Wii was Nintendo's last straw, with me, and they've totally blown it. I probably won't buy ANY future Nintendo console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Good.

I'm very disappointed with the system and the games I have played (including MP3), The VC games are overpriced, the controllers novelty wore off after about 2 weeks, Nintendo seems to be sticking to their kiddie mantra.... It just not worth the $250, and the hell I went through just to get it.

I'm pretty much done with Nintendo. The Wii was Nintendo's last straw, with me, and they've totally blown it. I probably won't buy ANY future Nintendo console.
    Why were you disapointed with a game that got rated 9's everywhere (MP3)? And like them or not, motion controllers are here to stay. All the new systems (PS4, Xbox 720, next Nintendo) will include them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heart Da PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Why were you disapointed with a game that got rated 9's everywhere (MP3)? And like them or not, motion controllers are here to stay. All the new systems (PS4, Xbox 720, next Nintendo) will include them.
    Thank you Nostradamus. There's no evidence of that whatsoever, and the backlash against the gimmick is already in full-swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    Thank you Nostradamus. There's no evidence of that whatsoever, and the backlash against the gimmick is already in full-swing.
    Agreed I hate motion sensor controllers. They are always spazzing out and ruining the game. I think the exact opposite. I don't think any future gaming consoles will have motion sensor except for Nintendo and thats just because there NINTENDO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Good.

Sell it to me, I'm gonna need one by February 10th. :D

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Agreed I hate motion sensor controllers. They are always spazzing out and ruining the game. I think the exact opposite. I don't think any future gaming consoles will have motion sensor except for Nintendo and thats just because there NINTENDO.

Well, judging by the sales of the Wii thus far, I wouldn't be suprised if other companies snuck it in next generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario Fan View Post
    Well, judging by the sales of the Wii thus far, I wouldn't be suprised if other companies snuck it in next generation.
    Well, Sony already did because they knew Nintendo was on to something. But the motion sensing itself takes a backseat to the IR pointer (lets be clear and separate the two technologies). I agree that motion sensing itself has not yet been successfully implemeted (waggle itself works spottily). But the pointer elevates MP3 and RE4, and while I didn't enjoy the game, the mechanic of using the pointer in SPM was very clever.

If someone could perfect waggle like Retro perfected IR pointing, then yes, all the next gen consoles will have this feature. I think IR or some other opinter technology will be implemented in all future consoles. If Halo had point and shoot, it would be godly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I think that the 360 and the Wii will capture a large market this holiday. As for the PS3....I see the 399 system doing better, but too little, too late. Ask me in a year how the PS3 is doing....

I anticipate the Wii outselling the 360 this holiday. I see the 360 moving more software units.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I anticipate the Wii outselling the 360 this holiday.
    Assuming they can supply enough Wii's, I think that's a foregone conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    You don't have to be a fortune teller to know that Nintendo sets the standard for controllers. The 1985 NES was the first to use the control pad. Other systems all came with one. The SNES in 1991 was the first system to use L and R buttons on top. The next batch of systems (except for Jaguar), starting with 3DO, Saturn, and PS1, all had them. The 1996 N64 was the first home system to have an analog joystick with a seperate control pad (d-pad), and the first with a rumble feature. Guess what PS2, Dreamcast, and X-Box came with? See the patern? Bank on it, motion controllers are 100% here to stay and will be perfected next time around.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I agree with white knight on the whole controller thing it seems pretty likely to me that we will see more motion stuff in the future from all game machines.

As for the sales nice to see MS finally pull ahead and it may last through christmas but from here what will they do?

Nintendo definetly needs to get some games out and start delivering enough hardware for christmas. Nice to see the PSP finally picking up in sales. Now the PS3 needs to follow suit

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing with Nintendo not releasing a whole lot of really good games is partly because of the 3rd party developers not wanting to put much effort into the system. I am now wanting to buy either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 simply because there probably won't ever be any epic games such as Assasins Creed, Elder Scrolls 4, or Metal Gear Solid 4 on the Wii, and I'm not referring to the graphics side of the games, but the size of the mentioned games.

Instead, most are content on either releasing ports, or just making small "party" games, or just games that took very little effort to make. This problem is also due to Nintendo marketing the Wii as something that even your grandparents can easily play.

Now, obviously there are a few awesome games for the Wii that are awesome and not "family games." Such as Metroid Prime 3, Legend of Zelda:TP, and Super Mario Galaxy (next month). I just wish more developers would give us Wii owners some games with a grand adventure, deep storyline, and good graphics (the Wii can have good graphics).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo seems to be sticking to their kiddie mantra.
    Yes, games like The Godfather, Manhunt 2, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, Medal of Honor, Red Steel, Prince of Persia, and Scarface are way too kiddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DP ServBot View Post
    "Nintendo's Wii, despite not really having any significant new software releases...
    That basically describes the last 11 months.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    You don't have to be a fortune teller to know that Nintendo sets the standard for controllers. The 1985 NES was the first to use the control pad. Other systems all came with one. The SNES in 1991 was the first system to use L and R buttons on top. The next batch of systems (except for Jaguar), starting with 3DO, Saturn, and PS1, all had them. The 1996 N64 was the first home system to have an analog joystick with a seperate control pad (d-pad), and the first with a rumble feature. Guess what PS2, Dreamcast, and X-Box came with? See the patern? Bank on it, motion controllers are 100% here to stay and will be perfected next time around.
    So you're comparing modifications to an industry standard with all hardware makers adopting an entirely new style of control altogether? That's a bit of a stretch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    So you're comparing modifications to an industry standard with all hardware makers adopting an entirely new style of control altogether? That's a bit of a stretch.
    Absolutely, Nintendo has far more years experiance making controllers than anyone else. No matter what they come up with, it sets the standard and others follow. Period. The D-pad was very radical in 1985, not just a mere modification of a joystick. When I was just starting the 7th grade in October, 1985, many of the old school Atari/Coleco gamers said the control-pad/d-pad was stupid, would fail, and never wanted to give up their joysticks. They ate their words fast.